Autistic Child waiting in lines

A lot of the attractions at Disney are dark so I let my son carry a little flashlight. It doesn't give off a lot of light to distract anyone else but it is enough for him so that he won't be afraid.

Just a suggestion......

Hi everyone. I am new to the disAbilities board. I came over just to see if there was anyone with experience with an autistic child. Silly me, I thought I wouldn't be able to find any info on this topic. I am pleasantly surpised to see that I am not alone. I was recently told that my son shows signs of autism and we are going through the diagnosis process. If he does have autism, we were told that it is only mild. But he does seem to have his melt downs. We will definitely use the fast pass system, and extra magic hour. Thank you so much for your tips. By the way, I take great comfort in reading about your experiences.

Hey guys just back from a quick trip with DD to WDW and without my son with the diagnosis. Boy was it an eye opening experience. I hadn't realized how much different it would be to see the parks through her eyes. It's funny we have done things to make our lives easier to live with him and you know what I found I really missed the "things" we do with him to make life easier. Did that make sense? Just a silly observation

I wanted to say "hi" to Nik's Mom - and welcome to our little corner of the world! It is comforting to read about others' experiences....

s&k's mom - I don't think that your observation is "silly" - our children are part of our lives and how we look at the world. Your comment makes perfect sense! :D

Thanks for sharing!!:D

Hi everyone. I also have an autistic son (Nick)age 8 and we have used the GAC and it is truly a life saver. I have noticed that many people seem leary of using it or maybe abusing it. The first time we went we used it sparingly because it wasn't a busy time of year and it wasn't necessary. Our last trip during spring break was quite a different story and we used it more often. I guess my point is, do not worry about what other guests or even CM's think. We have to face challenges everyday of our lives that most other people can not begin to understand, so I have decided not to feel guilty about using the GAC if needed. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to abuse it, just don't let other's rude comments or eye rolls guilt you into not using it as needed.

Welcome to our little corner to all the new visitors. A lot of good suggestions her and Crazy Kanga makes a good point about using the GAC "sparingly":
Because each person is different, using the GAC sparingly is different for each person too (and might even vary from day to day for the same person).

Some people might be able to get by without using it all all; just knowing it is there if they need it would be enough. A lot of people have posted in the past that they have used waiting in line as a learning opportunity, and feel comfortable doing that because they know if things get to be too much, they can use the GAC.
Some people might need it for almost every line they are in. Some might need it at MK because that place is just so overstimulating, but not at a more laid-back park like Epcot.
And some days are better than others. My DD is sometimes very bright, alert, responsive and looks like a typical kid sitting in her wheelchair. Those days we use the GAC very sparingly, if at all. Other days she's like a limp ragdoll - she has trouble sitting up in her wheelchair, can hardly support her head and when she moves or reacts to anyone talking to her, it's like she's in slow motion (if she even reacts at all). Sometimes, her muscle tone is OK, but she is so obsessed about every little thing or people being close to her that we can't be in lines. Those days we need the GAC because I can't have her more stressed than she already is.
So, if you need the GAC, use it without guilt. The only people who really know your needs are your own families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter