Australia - changes

For those who did the Australia trip back when they went to to Ayers Rock and Uluru what have they now added to make up for the time not spent there? Planning on booking the trip today but just curious

For those who did the Australia trip back when they went to to Ayers Rock and Uluru what have they now added to make up for the time not spent there? Planning on booking the trip today but just curious
Uluru was one of the highlights for our family. My twin girls were teenagers, and they still talk about this. Riding camels into the desert to watch the sunrise color show on Uluru was breathtaking. The hot beverages and biscotti to warm us was excellent. The hiking around Uluru was great. The telescope stargazing in dark skies was...well... impossible to reproduce. Seeing the Southern Cross blazing across the sky, the milky way so bright you could almost read by it...Disney used to pride itself on storytelling, and the story of the aboriginals really is missing without Uluru. I would go to New Zealand now instead, before they mess that trip up more. Each of my girls, as well as ourselves, still hang the Australian flag on the wall - with the Southern Cross as the main component - of a daily reminder of a favorite trip. Just our two cents.

Comparing to an old trip report, Melbourne is the substitute for both Uluru and the Gold Coast.

Having traveled through Australia (not ABD) several times, including when our daughter was younger, visiting without seeing the sunrise over Uluru & snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef is not worth doing--unless you plan to head Down Under again. These experiences represent the true Australia, its unique natural environments & the 65,000+ year culture of its original settlers.

Having traveled through Australia (not ABD) several times, including when our daughter was younger, visiting without seeing the sunrise over Uluru & snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef is not worth doing--unless you plan to head Down Under again. These experiences represent the true Australia, its unique natural environments & the 65,000+ year culture of its original settlers.
I'm not sure how close you can get to Uluru these days. I know they've permanently closed it to climbing. I'm pretty sure that's why ABD doesn't go there anymore.

Sayhello

Uluru was one of the highlights for our family. My twin girls were teenagers, and they still talk about this. Riding camels into the desert to watch the sunrise color show on Uluru was breathtaking. The hot beverages and biscotti to warm us was excellent. The hiking around Uluru was great. The telescope stargazing in dark skies was...well... impossible to reproduce. Seeing the Southern Cross blazing across the sky, the milky way so bright you could almost read by it...Disney used to pride itself on storytelling, and the story of the aboriginals really is missing without Uluru. I would go to New Zealand now instead, before they mess that trip up more. Each of my girls, as well as ourselves, still hang the Australian flag on the wall - with the Southern Cross as the main component - of a daily reminder of a favorite trip. Just our two cents.

Thanks for the feedback. Australia has been a bucket list item. While we will miss Uluru we are looking forward to the Reef, Melbourne and all of what Sydney offers. We are going on the 12/22/24 trip that ends NYE in Sydney and will stay there for the NYE celebration. Now we wait to figure out the lengthy flights. United vs Qantas?

Thanks for the feedback. Australia has been a bucket list item. While we will miss Uluru we are looking forward to the Reef, Melbourne and all of what Sydney offers. We are going on the 12/22/24 trip that ends NYE in Sydney and will stay there for the NYE celebration. Now we wait to figure out the lengthy flights. United vs Qantas?
I've never flown Qantas, but in my experience, United sucks. So I would recommend looking into Qantas.

Sayhello

I'm not sure how close you can get to Uluru these days. I know they've permanently closed it to climbing. I'm pretty sure that's why ABD doesn't go there anymore.

Sayhello
ABD did not have climbing Uluru as part of their programs. It is sacred to the Aboriginal people and they asked that people not climb it and respect their views. ABD obliged. We hiked around one part of it, but never stepped foot up on the rock itself. It was still open to climbing when we were there, and they finally shut that down soon after. We found it to be unexpectedly inspiring when sitting quietly watching the sunrise show. Words failed us.

I've never flown Qantas, but in my experience, United sucks. So I would recommend looking into Qantas.

Sayhello
We had a wonderful trip on Qantas. We flew steerage from DFW to Sydney and back on the A380. They don't sell all the economy seats to make the hop, so all four of us had multiple seats to ourselves. They offered hot meals every few hours, and the galley in economy was open for self-serve. They had one steward that did nothing but tidy the bathrooms the whole trip. Starting in June they have a direct nonstop from New York to Sydney. We found on trips to Australia and New Zealand the airlines were all very strict about luggage weight limits and sizes.

Enjoy the trip. We found the Aussies to be really great people. Limit your initial intake of Vegemite!

We had a wonderful trip on Qantas. We flew steerage from DFW to Sydney and back on the A380. They don't sell all the economy seats to make the hop, so all four of us had multiple seats to ourselves. They offered hot meals every few hours, and the galley in economy was open for self-serve. They had one steward that did nothing but tidy the bathrooms the whole trip. Starting in June they have a direct nonstop from New York to Sydney. We found on trips to Australia and New Zealand the airlines were all very strict about luggage weight limits and sizes.

Enjoy the trip. We found the Aussies to be really great people. Limit your initial intake of Vegemite!
Thanks Grifdog. Also looks like the flight times from DFW are optimal and is worth the 17 hour leg to SYD. JFK to SYD no thanks plus it violates my first rule of travel never to take a connecting flight through the NY airports as they are the first ones to get canceled by AFC if weather becomes an issues

The changes to this itinerary took it off of our list - no way I fly to Australia and not do Uluru. Melbourne is way down on my list for Australia. I know lots of people love it, but it doesn't really interest us. I was assuming that ABD changed the itinerary due to costs and logistics of getting out to Uluru.

We did ABD Australia recently. Melbourne itinerary was very good. If you go during the holidays expect some itinerary changes due to things being canceled or closed. So if there is something you really want to see make sure they are still going there and ask. But you probably won’t be sent changes until a few weeks before the trip starts.

We did ABD Australia recently. Melbourne itinerary was very good. If you go during the holidays expect some itinerary changes due to things being canceled or closed. So if there is something you really want to see make sure they are still going there and ask. But you probably won’t be sent changes until a few weeks before the trip starts.
Thanks. Looks like Xmas day will be our travel from Cairns to Melbourne so I'm sure they planned it accordindly. Sydney on NYE is the key. Already added two nights at the Shangri-La and looks like it was $2000 per room for NYE but compared to hotels that have a Times Square view not unexpected. Thanks for the feedback

Thanks. Looks like Xmas day will be our travel from Cairns to Melbourne so I'm sure they planned it accordindly. Sydney on NYE is the key. Already added two nights at the Shangri-La and looks like it was $2000 per room for NYE but compared to hotels that have a Times Square view not unexpected. Thanks for the feedback
Your arrival day in Melbourne would be a good day for modifications anyway. It's mostly traveling and it was tiring and the tour was underwhelming. If Disney is not providing already, definitely look for tickets for the NYE fireworks show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter