• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Aulani"-type resort in the Caribbean

rqd

Earning My Ears
Do you think DVC would consider an "Aulani"-style resort in the Caribbean?

All of the existing resorts are in the US so that could be a issue, but getting to Hawaii from the East coast is a real pain.

It would be great to have something a few hours away rather than a full day of travel.

I'm not aware of any rumors or specific issues about a non-US DVC, but I'm sure there must be a reason.

rqd

DVC surveyed members about potential locations about 3-4 years ago and Caribbean was one area highlighted. Others were Vegas and Lake Tahoe.

Any (near) future non-park developments will be entirely dependent upon Aulani's performance. And reportedly they have struggled with Aulani.

Biggest challenge is actually convincing members to buy into these non-park locations. Aulani has been a very popular destination for non-owners who book at 7 months, but convincing folks to buy in for the 11-month priority year-after-year is not so simple.

Financially, off-site resorts are much more costly to develop and maintain. With Aulani, Disney spent $120 million on the land alone. By comparison, building at Walt Disney World or Disneyland costs nothing for land.

When they add-on to existing WDW or DL resorts, they often do not need to invest in more parking lots, front desk facilities, bus / monorail / boat stops, etc. Additions to pool facilities or other recreation are modest. Offices, storage and other infrastructure for housekeeping, maintenance, management and security is already in place. When they build off-site, all of that must be created.

Vero and Hilton Head were both considered disappointments in the 90s. Took about 15 years before they decided to try again with Aulani. Barring some explosion of demand for Aulani points, I just don't see why Disney would choose to put more money into off-site projects rather than Poly, Ft. Wilderness, Disneyland Hotel or any of a dozen other on-site options they've kicked-around.

tjkraz said:
DVC surveyed members about potential locations about 3-4 years ago and Caribbean was one area highlighted. Others were Vegas and Lake Tahoe.

Any (near) future non-park developments will be entirely dependent upon Aulani's performance. And reportedly they have struggled with Aulani.

Biggest challenge is actually convincing members to buy into these non-park locations. Aulani has been a very popular destination for non-owners who book at 7 months, but convincing folks to buy in for the 11-month priority year-after-year is not so simple.

Financially, off-site resorts are much more costly to develop and maintain. With Aulani, Disney spent $120 million on the land alone. By comparison, building at Walt Disney World or Disneyland costs nothing for land.

When they add-on to existing WDW or DL resorts, they often do not need to invest in more parking lots, front desk facilities, bus / monorail / boat stops, etc. Additions to pool facilities or other recreation are modest. Offices, storage and other infrastructure for housekeeping, maintenance, management and security is already in place. When they build off-site, all of that must be created.

Vero and Hilton Head were both considered disappointments in the 90s. Took about 15 years before they decided to try again with Aulani. Barring some explosion of demand for Aulani points, I just don't see why Disney would choose to put more money into off-site projects rather than Poly, Ft. Wilderness, Disneyland Hotel or any of a dozen other on-site options they've kicked-around.

Most of this I agree with, except for two points:
1) Aulani is not only a DVC, but also a Disney destination. Vero and HH were standalone DVC products which were not the success DVC was hoping for. Disney has been looking for opportunities to expand into non-park properties in the past and Aulani could be a sucess on the destination/hotel side but not the DVC side.
2) There is a hotel to share costs with the DVC side and support the restaurants, front desk, etc.

It may turn out as a success as a Disney destination hotel even if the DVC part does not meet sales goals. I personally hope it is successful to spawn other Disney destination hotels even if they do not have a DVC component.

We would love it now DS is going off to college.

We have honeymooned and anniversaried (SP?) in Bermuda but never the Caribbean. DW will not take a cruise as we owned a boat for many years and she hated the experience of folding sails, grinding gears, weighing anchors. I've told her the Disney cruise boats have all those things tended to already and she only has to make the bed and cook breakfast for me. :goodvibes On the other side, she thinks spending a week staring at the grand canyon would be fun :scared1:- yeah right. Maybe if we are staring at it from 10,000 feet on the way to Las Vegas but she has refused to go there either.

So the only vacation we agree on is WDW. :love:

I'd love it too, but the only place I could see it working is the Bahamas. It's a short flight for people on the east coast (a large part of the DVC membership), and if it was close enough to Nassau DCL guests could pay for excursions to the resort during the shorter cruises which would help with income and exposure for possible sales.

Maybe someplace like Turks and Caicos would work if the 4nt cruises stopped there as well.

I wish they'd built Vero closer to Port Canaveral. I think that was Disney's biggest mistake with Vero. It would be a nice complement to a short cruise (moreso than a WDW vacation IMHO).

I'd love it too, but the only place I could see it working is the Bahamas. It's a short flight for people on the east coast (a large part of the DVC membership), and if it was close enough to Nassau DCL guests could pay for excursions to the resort during the shorter cruises which would help with income and exposure for possible sales.

Maybe someplace like Turks and Caicos would work if the 4nt cruises stopped there as well.

I wish they'd built Vero closer to Port Canaveral. I think that was Disney's biggest mistake with Vero. It would be a nice complement to a short cruise (moreso than a WDW vacation IMHO).

Riveria Maya would work as well, as you can get a direct flight to Cancun with is just a few hours for most of the East/Midwest.

If they put one in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands then US guests wouldn't need a passport to visit.

Since the Disney division that runs the DVC also runs DCL, I would guess that they are in-tune with the Caribbean.

Like all things Disney it's all about the numbers and if such a project will make money, how much, and how fast.

IMO the big bucks are at WDW, Aulani expected more guests from Japan but their problems have caused a slow start. I expect the Disney will continue building at WDW.

:earsboy: Bill

St Thomas would work too.

You're on the right path, St. John would be better if allowed. I've traveled the Caribbean a fair amount for part of my employment duties, and once you get past the beautiful natural environment, I don't overly see the allure. Crime and infrastructure can be confining matters, but the USVI would be the overall best choice IMO. It takes a good while being on these islands to learn to tolerate island time and the fact that nothing is absolute.

If Vero's annual dues are $7.XX, I hate to think what dues would run for a resort on say Tortola for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter