Aulani Taxes

These taxes on timeshare in Hawaii are called TAT and TSO. There is also GET, but that only applies to rentals. As a guest staying on a timeshare based stay, they would pay TSO. TSO is calculated as a percentage of 50% of the maintenance fee for the unit they are staying in. This is older information, so the percentage has changed from the 10.25%, but otherwise the calculation is the same.
https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/brochures/TAT_brochure.pdf

Read this sobering article from DVC News today:

https://dvcnews.com/resorts/aulani-villas/news-46018/5501-aulani-nightly-tax-has-doubled-in-7-years

Apparently on top of the annual dues, you have to pay a whopping 13.25% tax when staying… even as DVC….

Do people factor this tax into the dues fees? Also, does anyone know how subsidized vs. unsubsidized factors into the discussion here?

Wow… I assume this would be any DVC member, whether they are Aulani owners or not who have to pay this….
The extra fee is annoying, but it’s not that big and hardly the end of the world.

This would destroy the timeshare industry in Florida.
LOL I do not think so. Seems really drastic to me. I pay less than $17 a day for transient tax for Aulani. $17 a day is not going to make me stop going to Aulani or Hawaii. I would pay this in Florida too if I had to.

It's mostly just a surcharge for staying in Hawaii. So, if you're buying Aulani for Hawaii, it's par for the course. If your buying Aulani for SAPs, it doesn't really change the value there.

Although Hawaii has been more aggressive about taxing hotels, I tend to think the same is coming for Florida. The conservative Florida government will slow it down as much as they can, but eventually the bills are going to come due.
What bills are you referring to coming due? Didn't Florida have a $22 billion surplus last year?

LOL I do not think so. Seems really drastic to me. I pay less than $17 a day for transient tax for Aulani. $17 a day is not going to make me stop going to Aulani or Hawaii. I would pay this in Florida too if I had to.
What bills are you referring to coming due? Didn't Florida have a $22 billion surplus last year?
No, the tax isn’t going to stop me from going either. It’s hardly some monumental hidden cost Disney is suddenly springing on us, and anyone who presents it that way is just uninformed.

I wouldn’t dismiss this scenario from manifesting in Florida sooner or later either, no matter what the surplus. We had a multi billion dollar surplus in California last year, and it’s now gone. Disney currently has a problematic relationship with the Florida government, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the administration there figured out a way to throw a tax increase in WDW’s direction, which would certainly get passed on to those visiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter