Aulani Post Covid Reopen ~ Fell Below Expectations This Time...

We are here right now. I agree it’s probably a different experience with some of the restrictions and closures (we’re first time visitors) but still having a great time. Our room is on the 16th floor and have had no issues at all with the elevators. We checked in Friday afternoon and had literally no wait. They need to check your QR so even if you checked in online, you still need to go to the desk. They had lots of people working and staff couldn’t have been nicer. Our studio OV room is in good shape, but am not a big fan of the mattress. It’s a little too firm for my taste. Had drinks and apps at Olelo room last night and it was really good. Mask wearing is in full force. You can definitely go from water/pool back to your chair without it. It seems to be more in effect for when you’re just walking around in the pool area or vicinity. This has just been our experience, others may feel differently.
We checked in on a Sunday which is probably the busiest day to check in come to find out. The staff was very nice I just think there was a better way to check the QR code and they could incorporate that into their app because as it stands right now online check-in has no purpose.

Totally agree with you. We were on Maui for 5 days before coming here and it was the same at our hotel there. Each person had to physically be there at check in to show QR code. Same thing at Kualoa ranch yesterday. This is our 3rd time rescheduling this trip so am just glad to finally be here. I can understand your comments from a DVC owners perspective (we rented points). I do think our experience would have been better at Aulani if the adult pool and spa were open. We were looking forward to these amenities when we initially booked.

Totally agree with you. We were on Maui for 5 days before coming here and it was the same at our hotel there. Each person had to physically be there at check in to show QR code. Same thing at Kualoa ranch yesterday. This is our 3rd time rescheduling this trip so am just glad to finally be here. I can understand your comments from a DVC owners perspective (we rented points). I do think our experience would have been better at Aulani if the adult pool and spa were open. We were looking forward to these amenities when we initially booked.
We showed up at Kualoa Ranch and everything was booked out for over a week. Poor planning on our part. I did not realize we had to call weeks ahead to get a reservation. We had to show our QR code there just to get into the gift shop LOL! An adult pool was there but it was open for everyone to use only leaving the infinity Jacuzzis for adults only.

Give us a Maui trip report when you have time!! I’m planning 😁😁😁

Really?! Just curious as to why? We were there 4.5 years ago. I always try to do spa treatments when I travel, and we found the Aulani spa and extra amenities to be among the nicest we've been to. The treatment itself was decent, but we thought they offered a lot with the hydrotherapy garden while the prices were still on par with other high end spas we've been to.
I guess I thought it would be relaxing but instead I felt we paid a lot for just fluff. For instance, if I'm going to get a massage, I want to really be worked in the massage and feel like my muscles have been relaxed. I didn't get anything close to that there. Sure, the hydrotherapy garden was nice, but it was boring and I would have rather been actually doing something (I couldn't make myself stay very long there anyway).

I guess I thought it would be relaxing but instead I felt we paid a lot for just fluff. For instance, if I'm going to get a massage, I want to really be worked in the massage and feel like my muscles have been relaxed. I didn't get anything close to that there.

If you didn't get the kind of massage you wanted, that's actually your fault. Any reputable spa tells the client at the beginning of the service to speak up if they want anything done differently. With massages, they always ask how firm you want the pressure to be, and remind you that if it's too firm or too soft to let them know. If you sat there for an entire 50 or 80 minute massage and thought to yourself "this isn't relaxing" but kept that to yourself, then you only have yourself to blame.

We just got back from a 12 night stay at Aulani (3rd re-schedule due to you know what). I haven't been there since the opening 10 years ago. Here were my thoughts (rant).

1. I know they re-did the pools but I don't think a penny of my dues wen into the rooms. We stayed in 2 different rooms and both had stains in the carpet / furniture. They are due for their 10 year refurb.

2. The couches in both rooms were frayed.

3. The bronze faucets in the showers were all corroded with lime causing reduced water pressure.

4. In both of the rooms which were in completely separate towers we were not able to get cold water from the sinks.

5. The AC was set to 65°F and its was still hot in the room. And yes all the doors were closed.

6. The check in process was horrible. Multiple emails prior to my arrival prompted me to check in via online or via the Aulani app. I followed all of the instructions yet when I got there, I still had to wait in a one hour line to get to the front desk so they could issue me my room key and check my QR code status which I thought could have been incorporated into the website or app.

7. The spa was still closed which I knew beforehand but I find it interesting that Rainbow Reef was open. You'd think if you can sterilize a snorkel that hundreds of people stick in their mouth during a pandemic then they could figure out a way to open the spa.

8. The show at the luau was fantastic but the food was lackluster.

9. I also was not thrilled that they try to sell you your photo during the show which really takes away from the whole luau experience. Every photo they take a view they offer you a photo pass where you can purchase your photos at a later date and time. There was no need for them to disrupt the show to try to sell you a digital picture on iPad. It was very non DCL of them.

I will say their Covid precautions were good but maybe too much?

10. Having a sign by the elevator "one party or 4 people per elector" means it always took forever to get to and from your room since many people didn’t want to share. We always invited more when we got into ours but the reverse was not I was reciprocated.

11. Masks are not required in the pool or lounging but the moment you get out of the pool to get a towel or a snorkel to go into rainbow reef they will not serve you without a mask. Meanwhile you’re dripping wet or burning your feet trying to go back to wherever your property was at.

Just my two cents.

Have you been to Aulani since the reopen? What were your thoughts?
We just got back as well and did not have all these issues. Our one bedroom ocean view was in good shape and the AC was great. We joked about how cold we could make it.

We went to Rainbow Reef but used our own snorkels. But not sure cleaning dive gear is akin to the protocols necessary to open a spa.

Didn't go to the Luau since I’ve never had good food at a Luau.

We stayed in the Waianae Tower...never had an issue with elevators. We did have waits in the Ewa Tower in Jan. though.

The mask policy by the pool is indeed annoying. Had the same problem trying to get a new towel after coming out of a slide.

If you didn't get the kind of massage you wanted, that's actually your fault. Any reputable spa tells the client at the beginning of the service to speak up if they want anything done differently. With massages, they always ask how firm you want the pressure to be, and remind you that if it's too firm or too soft to let them know. If you sat there for an entire 50 or 80 minute massage and thought to yourself "this isn't relaxing" but kept that to yourself, then you only have yourself to blame.
I wasn't told anything of the sort before my massage. I didn't have a lot of experience with spas (still don't), and this was supposed to be a treat for my husband and I. Thought it would be nice for our "once in a lifetime" trip. So, not totally my fault. It is something that I tried once, that I just won't make the mistake of doing again is all. In the future, if I want to treat myself, I will only visit the ONE person who I know can give me a massage with the pressure I need.

I wasn't told anything of the sort before my massage. I didn't have a lot of experience with spas (still don't), and this was supposed to be a treat for my husband and I. Thought it would be nice for our "once in a lifetime" trip. So, not totally my fault. It is something that I tried once, that I just won't make the mistake of doing again is all. In the future, if I want to treat myself, I will only visit the ONE person who I know can give me a massage with the pressure I need.

There are different types of messages on the menu typically. Some that are more relaxing, like what you had, and other more deep muscle ones. I agree with the other poster that expressing what you want is a must. Messages are a personal thing and everyone likes something different. I guess that I would not blame the therapist for not giving me something that they didn't know that I wanted. 🤷‍♀️ For anyone out there that has not been to a message therapist and are thinking of splurging, this is a good reminder to make sure that you pick the right message that you want off of the menu, and then make your wishes known to them.

There are different types of messages on the menu typically. Some that are more relaxing, like what you had, and other more deep muscle ones. I agree with the other poster that expressing what you want is a must. Messages are a personal thing and everyone likes something different. I guess that I would not blame the therapist for not giving me something that they didn't know that I wanted. 🤷‍♀️ For anyone out there that has not been to a message therapist and are thinking of splurging, this is a good reminder to make sure that you pick the right message that you want off of the menu, and then make your wishes known to them.
You are booking the time. Any decent spa will provide you with a therapist that can give you a deep tissue massage if requested. This is not the fault of the person for booking the wrong massage.

The aulani spa is fine - but if they can’t comply with a client’s requests (or ask the client exactly what they want) at their (high for the quality you get) price point - they are well within their rights to be disappointed.

A competent massage therapist will ask what the client wants. It’s ludicrous to blame the client - particularly at the level aulani markets themselves at.

You are booking the time. Any decent spa will provide you with a therapist that can give you a deep tissue massage if requested. This is not the fault of the person for booking the wrong massage.

The aulani spa is fine - but if they can’t comply with a client’s requests (or ask the client exactly what they want) at their (high for the quality you get) price point - they are well within their rights to be disappointed.

I agree that a therapist will work with the client about how strong they want the touch to be. But if you are talking about something that is more deep tissue, then they do charge more for that because it is harder on the therapist. So you would not book a swedish message for less money and then demand a deep tissue one for the same price. But my comment still stands that if you don't like the pressure the therapist is using, then it is up to you to say something right then and there. If not, then that is on you. Why sit through something you don't like, not say a word, and then complain about it after? I have had several messages and treatment at the senses spas that Disney uses. Every single one of my therapists has talked to me about my treatment first and have asked if I liked the pressure she was using. Maybe I got lucky every time.

This is not your fault — if they asked you repeatedly about the pressure and you said “
I agree that a therapist will work with the client about how strong they want the touch to be. But if you are talking about something that is more deep tissue, then they do charge more for that because it is harder on the therapist. So you would not book a swedish message for less money and then demand a deep tissue one for the same price. But my comment still stands that if you don't like the pressure the therapist is using, then it is up to you to say something right then and there. If not, then that is on you. Why sit through something you don't like, not say a word, and then complain about it after? I have had several messages and treatment at the senses spas that Disney uses. Every single one of my therapists has talked to me about my treatment first and have asked if I liked the pressure she was using. Maybe I got lucky every time.
Disney actively markets to people who don’t regularly go to spas. I saw it in marketing materials at some point. I have never in many, many spa treatments not been asked “how is the pressure” multiple times - I doubt this person didn’t like the pressure and answered multiple times “just fine”. I also don’t love how we blame the customer and not the giant billion dollar company when things don’t measure up. There should be no upcharge for deep tissue massage (if you added hot stone or something it would be additional).

This is not your fault — if they asked you repeatedly about the pressure and you said “

Disney actively markets to people who don’t regularly go to spas. I saw it in marketing materials at some point. I have never in many, many spa treatments not been asked “how is the pressure” multiple times - I doubt this person didn’t like the pressure and answered multiple times “just fine”. I also don’t love how we blame the customer and not the giant billion dollar company when things don’t measure up. There should be no upcharge for deep tissue massage (if you added hot stone or something it would be additional).

Are you kidding me? There are absolutely things that are not the customer's fault. But if you are getting a message and don't like the amount of pressure, then say something. The OP even said that she knew that she liked a firmer touch. This falls under the category of personal responsibility. Just like if you order a steak rare and it comes out well done, you don't eat the whole thing and then grumble about it later, you tell them how you want it. Why is this such a hard concept?

Yes, their kind of middling quality with respect to service is a hard concept.

Let’s imagine a waiter doesn’t ask you what temp you want your steak at? Should you be unhappy they brought it to you at med-well?

They know they are getting people who don’t regularly go to spas. And they are charging what high quality spas charge - so they should act that way.

I guess I thought it would be relaxing but instead I felt we paid a lot for just fluff. For instance, if I'm going to get a massage, I want to really be worked in the massage and feel like my muscles have been relaxed. I didn't get anything close to that there. Sure, the hydrotherapy garden was nice, but it was boring and I would have rather been actually doing something (I couldn't make myself stay very long there anyway).
Gotcha, it sounds like it was a combination of maybe the therapist didn't work well for you and maybe different expectations. You said in another post you don't have much experience with spas, so I thought it was worth noting that the hydrotherapy garden is actually very unique. At many spas, you simply wait in a quiet room for your treatment and that's it. Aulani pricing is comparable to other high end spas, but at Aulani, you get use of the facility/gardens/locker room for the day for as long or as short as you want. I get that its not something that appeals to everyone, but I do think that added perk makes it a good value.

As far as the other discussion, I think its incumbent on the customer to speak up for what they want, especially when they are paying those prices. In my own experience, at some point the spa or therapist will ask if I've had a massage before and then will know to ask if everything ok or if the pressure is ok. If PP didn't experience that with their therapist, then I'd agree that's a slight against the therapist. Aulani and the therapist should always make sure clients are comfortable, but the customer should always advocate for themselves if they don't feel they are getting their money's worth.

Thing is that you don't know what you don't know. I have come out of a massage before and have been in pain from the amount of pressure used, but felt tremendous a day or two after because it really alleviated the pain I was having prior to the massage. However, I trusted the person I was seeing to take care of the issues I was having. I never explained to them what I wanted, they just did it. I went in thinking that for the price being paid, that they would know what they were doing, and it would be a similar experience. There weren't options given for type of massage (at least that I remember for a couples massage), it just said relaxing. A relaxing massage to me is what I suppose you all refer to as a deep tissue massage. If I want a massage here at home, I ask either my husband or one friend from high school, tell them where my issues are, and they just fix it. They don't ever ask how the pressure is, but they sure as heck relax me and take care of my issues. I guess I figured for the price I was paying at Aulani, I would have a similar experience, as maybe some massage therapists have different techniques that allow for the same results using less pressure.

Agreed. I simply thought I paid WAY too much money for the fluff experience. Some people may like that sort of thing, or may not have the same issues I do, and that may make a difference in experience for them.

Gotcha, it sounds like it was a combination of maybe the therapist didn't work well for you and maybe different expectations. You said in another post you don't have much experience with spas, so I thought it was worth noting that the hydrotherapy garden is actually very unique. At many spas, you simply wait in a quiet room for your treatment and that's it. Aulani pricing is comparable to other high end spas, but at Aulani, you get use of the facility/gardens/locker room for the day for as long or as short as you want. I get that its not something that appeals to everyone, but I do think that added perk makes it a good value.

As far as the other discussion, I think its incumbent on the customer to speak up for what they want, especially when they are paying those prices. In my own experience, at some point the spa or therapist will ask if I've had a massage before and then will know to ask if everything ok or if the pressure is ok. If PP didn't experience that with their therapist, then I'd agree that's a slight against the therapist. Aulani and the therapist should always make sure clients are comfortable, but the customer should always advocate for themselves if they don't feel they are getting their money's worth.
Exactly. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your explanation, as Aulani is the only "high end" place I've been to. As for your last paragraph, again, lack of experience. If I was asked how the pressure was, I would have probablay replied "fine." However, this again would have been due to lack of knowledge, as I would have assumed that they would simply want to know if it was hurting, not if they needed to press harder. Looking back on it, the tiny woman who gave me my massage would NEVER have been able to really meet my needs, hence the reason that I would never go back to the Aulani Spa and will only seek a paid massage from the one person who I know can give me what I need.

Looking back on it, the tiny woman who gave me my massage would NEVER have been able to really meet my needs, hence the reason that I would never go back to the Aulani Spa and will only seek a paid massage from the one person who I know can give me what I need.

FWIW lest people get the wrong idea, I've had some deep massages from VERY tiny women... a good massuse is not always ripped. :flower3:

FWIW lest people get the wrong idea, I've had some deep massages from VERY tiny women... a good massuse is not always ripped. :flower3:
No kidding. The tiny Asian lady who did my massage on DCL nearly killed me. But man she fixed that muscle that goes over the shoulder blade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter