Aulani just informed me the following is currently closed...

It may come down to comfort level with payng premium cost for a partial experience. Some people would be disgruntled about it to a point where it would not be enjoyable. I think the initial post in this thread is a possible example.

Not disgruntled just disappointed as I’ve been to Aulani when it was at its prime and it was truly something special. It just seems everything that makes Aulani...Aulani is offline right now.

Also I’m not trying to damper anyone’s experiences or fun...do whatever you want to do...information is always better to have than for someone to go and be shocked that everything’s closed.

Last edited:
I expected some things to be scaled back or closed but not at the scale they said:

- No character breakfast
- No spa services at all
- No AMA AMA
- Weddings are not currently being performed
- Masks on when Photo pass photographers are around.
- There is no Luau performances
- Aunties Beach House is not currently online
- No firechat story-time

...what is left of Aulani? It sounds like a really gutted experience. I understand theirs a pandemic, but nothing that makes Aulani seems to be operational right now.

We returned last week from a 12 night stay there. In hindsight, I didn't miss a single thing that you list.
-We didn't even SEE a character, not one! While they are fun to see and get pics with, I didn't miss it.
-This was a "dang!" thing for us. We LOVE the spa there, and we are treadmill/gym people, so those two closures had us worried. But big picture, the spa is just a few hours experience over a whole vacation and we utlized the beautiful path for runs and the open space for strength workouts. I worked out next the ocean...better than a gym.
-Eat at Roys for the quality of food and head up to Beach House 604 for the AMAZING sunset on the patio.
-Well, this one didn't matter to us. If that is your reason for visiting Aulani, then yeah, you'd better not plan on it.
-Masks are a fact of life but we don't want them memorialized in photos. We did not take up any photos pass opportunities because I don't want photos of my family in masks.
-Eh. Not a miss for us. I don't think any Luau will be making appearances anytime soon.
-This could be a bummer for parents of little ones. When our kids were younger they spent some time there, so I can see that as a hold off for parents looking for a few hours of solo time.
-But Uncle does come to the pool some evenings to tell the wonderful stories of his home. Same stories, just a different location :)

The CMs seemed so happy to be at work and they would certainly disagree with the resort being operational. The crowds were chill over the Christmas holiday, we enjoyed Pearl Harbor even more due to the Covid restrictions, North Shore is open and seemed as busy as ever, and the Monkey Pod happy hour is OPEN FOR BUSINESS (mai tai or bananna hammock, anyone?) While the list looks long, with some perspective, it is hardly noticed.

Explore Oahu in things you haven't done yet? From someone who lives in Hawaii and can't go to DW or DL just being there for me would be a dream of the feeling like I am even somewhat close to something Disney. I am trying to convince my husband to do even a day/night there before we leave the island but the cost is a little high.

We returned last week from a 12 night stay there. In hindsight, I didn't miss a single thing that you list.
-We didn't even SEE a character, not one! While they are fun to see and get pics with, I didn't miss it.
-This was a "dang!" thing for us. We LOVE the spa there, and we are treadmill/gym people, so those two closures had us worried. But big picture, the spa is just a few hours experience over a whole vacation and we utlized the beautiful path for runs and the open space for strength workouts. I worked out next the ocean...better than a gym.
-Eat at Roys for the quality of food and head up to Beach House 604 for the AMAZING sunset on the patio.
-Well, this one didn't matter to us. If that is your reason for visiting Aulani, then yeah, you'd better not plan on it.
-Masks are a fact of life but we don't want them memorialized in photos. We did not take up any photos pass opportunities because I don't want photos of my family in masks.
-Eh. Not a miss for us. I don't think any Luau will be making appearances anytime soon.
-This could be a bummer for parents of little ones. When our kids were younger they spent some time there, so I can see that as a hold off for parents looking for a few hours of solo time.
-But Uncle does come to the pool some evenings to tell the wonderful stories of his home. Same stories, just a different location :)

The CMs seemed so happy to be at work and they would certainly disagree with the resort being operational. The crowds were chill over the Christmas holiday, we enjoyed Pearl Harbor even more due to the Covid restrictions, North Shore is open and seemed as busy as ever, and the Monkey Pod happy hour is OPEN FOR BUSINESS (mai tai or bananna hammock, anyone?) While the list looks long, with some perspective, it is hardly noticed.

All good but what is the point of stay at Aulani then rather than anywhere else...as apparently you don’t seem to need anything other than a beach / lazy River.

All good but what is the point of stay at Aulani then rather than anywhere else...as apparently you don’t seem to need anything other than a beach / lazy River.

DVC points? I own there? Disney quality? Beautiful location? Amazing theming? The friendly CMs? It is no where near Waikiki? If a spa, an outdoor restaurant and a luau are your makes/breaks, it is not the time for YOU to go, but it is a great time for those who love the island, love Aulani and love Disney service. And I do love me a beach/lazy river. You got me there, CampbellzSoup.

DVC points? I own there? Disney quality? Beautiful location? Amazing theming? The friendly CMs? It is no where near Waikiki? If a spa, an outdoor restaurant and a luau are your makes/breaks, it is not the time for YOU to go, but it is a great time for those who love the island, love Aulani and love Disney service. And I do love me a beach/lazy river. You got me there, CampbellzSoup.

Lol calm down it’s not personal, enjoy your experience.

I think this discussion comes down to each person's idea of what a vacation is, even in "normal" times, may be very different. We live 1 hr from WDW and have been to Aulani twice and all of those limitations the OP listed would make me not be interested in Aulani right now. But, as some of you have pointed out, those mentions were not the point of your vacation and you had a great time. We have been to WDW once since the pandemic and I'm not sure we are interested in going again any time soon but know many that are happy to go back now. We all have different interpretations of what makes a vacation enjoyable.

I think this discussion comes down to each person's idea of what a vacation is, even in "normal" times, may be very different. We live 1 hr from WDW and have been to Aulani twice and all of those limitations the OP listed would make me not be interested in Aulani right now. But, as some of you have pointed out, those mentions were not the point of your vacation and you had a great time. We have been to WDW once since the pandemic and I'm not sure we are interested in going again any time soon but know many that are happy to go back now. We all have different interpretations of what makes a vacation enjoyable.

I absolutely agree with your assessment. OP has younger kids so they are looking for Disneyque kind of experience. Trust me we have been there before. We have been to DisneyWorld in FL sometimes 5 times a year during the last 20 years and we still couldn’t have enough.

Now that the kids are older and are adults WDW doesn’t hold much charm for us especially during COVID. We rather be in Aulani and do mature things in great weather with Hawaiian hospitality and Disney touch.

Perhaps one day when we become grandparents we will be back to WDW again running around with the little ones. Till then to each one their own.

Aulani is beautiful resort and it was especially great during these pandemic times that we were able enjoy without the crowds!

Getting to Hawaii right now is a bit of a pain with covid testing.
Walgreens and cvs in Southern California don’t guarantee the 72 hours and say it could take 5 days. I’ve heard of a family of 5 where 4 tested negative and one of the kids tested positive (likely a false negative). It could Happen and you never know so make sure to check cancellation policies

Walgreens and cvs in Southern California don’t guarantee the 72 hours and say it could take 5 days. I’ve heard of a family of 5 where 4 tested negative and one of the kids tested positive (likely a false negative). It could Happen and you never know so make sure to check cancellation policies
*a false positive I meant to say

We also received some inconsistent messaging about the flights and covid tests. I believe it’s 72 hours from original boarding time, at the testing center we were told it was take off time. Needless to say, we were nervous our flight would get delayed an hour and push us outside of the 72 hour window

I agree with the OP 100%. Aunty's, the spa, and 'Ama 'Ama are three of the top reasons we love Aulani and my family will *not* go as long as those key amenities are not available. Others are, of course, free to make their own personal choices.

I also tacked a couple of WDW days onto a business trip last week, and would *not* take my family there right now. There's a LONG list of reasons for that, but I'll sum it up by saying the experience is not anything like I expect from a Disney operation--others may not be bothered by the same things, but for me WDW has currently lost all its appeal.

Thank you for all the input on the current Aulani experience. We were there two years ago and loved it. We are thinking of going back in May. From earlier posts, it sounds like Roy's and the food trucks are open. I'm curious about other island restaurants and Kualoa Ranch? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Thank you for all the input on the current Aulani experience. We were there two years ago and loved it. We are thinking of going back in May. From earlier posts, it sounds like Roy's and the food trucks are open. I'm curious about other island restaurants and Kualoa Ranch? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Some of the restaurants we ate in:

Monkey pod Kitchen Ko Olina
Roys Ko Olina
Cheesecake Factory Kapolei
Haleiwa Beach House North Shore
Duke’s Waikiki
Kalapawai Cafe and Deli Kapolei
Olelo Room (Appetizers and Drinks with Live Music) Aulani
Mad Bene Kapolei

Also note that DoorDash, Grubhub and UberEars deliver from most of local fast food and chain restaurants.

Which test? Our Walgreens in Michigan can't guarantee the PCR test in less than 72 hours but the ID NOW test is less than 24 hours (and most report getting results in 1-2 hours). We will be taking tests this week so I can't speak from first hand experience yet.

I’d say wait a bit longer until more things come online...my Aulani experience was truly magical and I want to keep it like that!

Monkey pod was fabulous though

We’re there right now and having pretty much a wonderful time. The beach is amazing, the pool spectacular and the food delicious! And the fact that things could very well be back to normal when we return gives us new things to look forward to (we’re new dvc owners and this is our first stay on points.)

Which test? Our Walgreens in Michigan can't guarantee the PCR test in less than 72 hours but the ID NOW test is less than 24 hours (and most report getting results in 1-2 hours). We will be taking tests this week so I can't speak from first hand experience yet.
Just be sure the test you take is offered by a “trusted partner” listed on the Hawaii safe travels website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!