*August 2024 Check-in Thread*

Hi! Lurker here...going to try DL for my birthday this year. Have been to WDW about 10x, but never DL.
I will be going Aug 14-18 with my DS (13).
I am undecided on a hotel- I think the on property ones are out of my budget. The super close ones on Harbor are tempting but definitely expensive for what you get. JW Marriott is on a great sale through a popular travel agency but I hate the idea of being fairly faraway. Same with Westin- I've heard it is a 20 min walk which doesn't sound great to me. Any advice?
Are you looking for a nicer hotel? We've stayed at both the Hyatt House and Residence Inn at Harbor and Katella. We are fairly fast walkers, but it was only about a 12 minute walk. Both have free breakfast and there is a CVS and Walgreens right there (with Hyatt House the Walgreens under it, actually). I'd give the slight edge to Residence Inn for nicer rooms, but we liked both.

If you want really close and don't mind a no frills place, Tropicana In is usually a safe bet and fairly priced (most of the time). I have family that recently stayed there and they liked it. It is motel style though.

I haven't stayed at the Westin, but it looks really nice! I would be inclined to stay there vs the JW since the walk to/from Westin would be a bit nicer down Disneyland Drive.

Last edited:
Can I please get added to the check in list?
We are staying August 19-22 at Pixar Place (club level, woohoo!) :love: It's part of a big road trip we are doing for our 20th wedding anniversary!
We are dvc but we've rented all our 2023 and 2024 points because we didn't think we would be doing this trip til 2025 :rotfl2:

We will be visiting from the Netherlands for out second trip to Disneyland. Last year was our honeymoon in the Disneyland hotel. While we'll normally visit WDW we opted for Disneyland as it feels like you get more bang for your buck. We travel back via Orlando (since that's a relatively low cost difference) but we'll only visit Universal there.

We'll be there from the 28th of august till 5th of september (with a day of Knott's and hopefully Oogie Boogie in between). We have booked at the Camelot Inn but consider moving to the JW Marriott. The price is the same, it's farther away but it feels more luxurious and we can add the breakfast buffet for cheap. But that last one depends on if we have to order drinks and tip (as that isn't really clear) since then it wouldn't really be worth it in our opinion. In that case we'll probably stick with the Camelot.

Can I please get added to the check in list?
We are staying August 19-22 at Pixar Place (club level, woohoo!) :love: It's part of a big road trip we are doing for our 20th wedding anniversary!
We are dvc but we've rented all our 2023 and 2024 points because we didn't think we would be doing this trip til 2025 :rotfl2:
I've added you! And your trip sounds so amazing! You'll have to let us know how the club level is at Pixar Place (and hopefully we get some reviews before you stay...I believe it opens in June).

That's funny about renting the DVC points out...but hey, sometimes you have to pivot when you need a Disney fix! And at least now you can try out Pixar Place. Hope you have a great trip and a wonderful anniversary! ❤️

We will be visiting from the Netherlands for out second trip to Disneyland. Last year was our honeymoon in the Disneyland hotel. While we'll normally visit WDW we opted for Disneyland as it feels like you get more bang for your buck. We travel back via Orlando (since that's a relatively low cost difference) but we'll only visit Universal there.

We'll be there from the 28th of august till 5th of september (with a day of Knott's and hopefully Oogie Boogie in between). We have booked at the Camelot Inn but consider moving to the JW Marriott. The price is the same, it's farther away but it feels more luxurious and we can add the breakfast buffet for cheap. But that last one depends on if we have to order drinks and tip (as that isn't really clear) since then it wouldn't really be worth it in our opinion. In that case we'll probably stick with the Camelot.
Welcome! I've added you. 🙂

That's a tough choice between Camelot and JW Marriott. On one hand, I love proximity, but on the other hand, JW feels way more luxurious and likely worth the extra steps. The breakfast buffet would be nice too! Hopefully you can get clarification on the tipping and drinks aspect.

@StarlitNight05 thank you 🤩 After Disneyland we head on to Lake Tahoe where we have rented a condo on a private beach through VRBO and then on to the Oregon coast for a few nights before heading home 😀
Since the lounge isn't due to open til end of June I was a little hesitant to book club level but I'm sure it will all work out. And I will definitely report back afterwards 😁

Hello! I am so happy I found this group. I am headed to Disneyland August 28 - September 2. I have not been to Disneyland since 2009, where my husband and I went for our honeymoon (married in Vegas). 15 years later we have 3 kids and have gone to WDW several times, it's a little easier for us living in St Louis. We are super excited for this trip and we are surprising our kids. We will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I am open for ALL the tips.

Hello! I am so happy I found this group. I am headed to Disneyland August 28 - September 2. I have not been to Disneyland since 2009, where my husband and I went for our honeymoon (married in Vegas). 15 years later we have 3 kids and have gone to WDW several times, it's a little easier for us living in St Louis. We are super excited for this trip and we are surprising our kids. We will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I am open for ALL the tips.
Welcome! I'm glad you found this group too! I've added you. How exciting to return to DL after so many years.

Since you've been to WDW recently, you at least know about Genie+. I would say it's much more useful here on the west coast. Last trip we used a combo of acceleration and fishing for MEPs and it was AMAZING! I'd suggest to read up on the Genie+ sticky on the main page. It's super useful.

Another thing about DL is our counter/quick service is much better here. We usually do one sit down per day (afternoon) for a break, but some days we just do all quick service! My personal favorites are Cocina Cucamonga in DCA (birra tacos are amazing), Plaza Inn at DL (fried chicken), and pretty much anything at Craftsman Grill at GCH. I also really like Earl of Sandwich in DTD for grabbing something quick.

Disneyland Hotel is great! Your kids will love the pools if they like to swim. Make sure to check out the other towers, particularly the Frontier Tower - it has a model of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Oh and you can get a dole whip at the walkup counter next to Tangaroa Terrace!

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. Let us know what specific questions you have! 😊

We've decided on the JW Marriott but without the breakfast. We kept watching the price and now have a deal that saves us close to 500 USD for a week (1893 USD instead of almost 2375 USD)! Really happy about that and we're thinking about doing the Railroad tour with a part of our savings!

We've decided on the JW Marriott but without the breakfast. We kept watching the price and now have a deal that saves us close to 500 USD for a week (1893 USD instead of almost 2375 USD)! Really happy about that and we're thinking about doing the Railroad tour with a part of our savings!
That's great! The Railroad tour sounds amazing too! I still want to do the Walt's Main Street story tour (I think it used to be called Walk in Walt's footsteps). Getting to see his famous apartment would be so cool!

Getting closer! We’ve never been at Halloween-trying to decide if we should take the boys to OBB if it’s happening during our stay. Thoughts for 2 14 year old boys?

Joining this thread - we are taking our first family trip to the DL Resort from 8/13 - 8/18 (I visited for 1 day about 20 years ago, but that's it!) Still need to book a resort for our first night, but staying at VDH for the bulk of the trip on our DVC points. Does anyone know, since our dates are in between the Pixar Fest and the start of Halloween, will we still have nighttime fireworks? What do they typically do in these instances?
I'd also love any advice on the type of park ticket we should get. We will have 4 full park days. I wasn't sure if I really needed the park hopper, but I also don't want to regret not being able to move freely between the parks if we end up wanting to move around for whatever reason (we always have park hopper tickets at WDW.) Our focus is primarily going to be on attractions/rides that are unique to DL or at least different from their counterparts in WDW, but I think we'll still end up doing Genie+ since we want to maximize our time and not sure when we'll be back.

Joining this thread - we are taking our first family trip to the DL Resort from 8/13 - 8/18 (I visited for 1 day about 20 years ago, but that's it!) Still need to book a resort for our first night, but staying at VDH for the bulk of the trip on our DVC points. Does anyone know, since our dates are in between the Pixar Fest and the start of Halloween, will we still have nighttime fireworks? What do they typically do in these instances?
I'd also love any advice on the type of park ticket we should get. We will have 4 full park days. I wasn't sure if I really needed the park hopper, but I also don't want to regret not being able to move freely between the parks if we end up wanting to move around for whatever reason (we always have park hopper tickets at WDW.) Our focus is primarily going to be on attractions/rides that are unique to DL or at least different from their counterparts in WDW, but I think we'll still end up doing Genie+ since we want to maximize our time and not sure when we'll be back.
Parkhoppers are an essential. Fireworks are usually nightly during the summer season. If not nightly, then on the weekends.

Getting closer! We’ve never been at Halloween-trying to decide if we should take the boys to OBB if it’s happening during our stay. Thoughts for 2 14 year old boys?
I haven't been to OBB (yet, fingers crossed), but I did go to the Halloween party back when it was in DL...so take my advice with a grain of salt. We didn't do many characters, but loved the Halloween atmosphere at night and short waits for attractions. Granted, you can still get nighttime atmosphere on non OBB nights, so that's not a huge consideration, but it's nice to see everything with people dressed in their costumes too.

For me, I am really excited for the Halloween parade at DCA (assuming we can even get tickets), so that is a big draw. Villains Grove also looks really amazing. I would say if your boys are big Halloween fans it would definitely be worth trying to get tickets. If they are meh about Halloween and any of the special offerings, I would lean toward it may not be worth the added cost.

I agree with Joseph821, definitely get the park hoppers if it's not cost prohibitive. I treat DLR as one big park. We often bounce back and forth multiple times a day. The scale/size is small compared to WDW, so they are much more functional.

Fireworks and nighttime entertainment should be every night in the summer, if future patterns hold.

You will absolutely love VDH by the way! We stayed there in January and really enjoyed our stay. DLH in general is great, but I loved the look of the rooms in VDH (the colors are amazing and made me feel energized). We had a one bedroom and really appreciated being able to make breakfast every morning!

Don't forget to check out Trader Sam's and the new Palm Breeze bar. We also really like getting drinks (or dole whips) at the walkup counter next to Tangaroa and sitting by the outdoor fireplace. Some people say there is no bubble at DLR, but we always feel it when staying at DLH or GCH. There is no need to ever leave property!

There's a good chance they will show Mickey's Mix Magic in August, post Pixar Fest and pre-Halloween. That's not a guarantee, but it's what they've been doing recently during the "in between" times. As others have noted, it's likely fireworks are still nightly during August. It is possible they move fireworks to Fri-Sun only once Pixar Fest ends. They typically still do the projections every night even if there are no fireworks. Even so, World of Color will show nightly all of August (except for OBB nights) unless it's down for refurb.

Hi! Joining in. We will be at VGC from Aug 13-17th after 5 nights at Aulani. We are East Coast DVC so DW veterans but this will be our first trip to DL (except for me when I was a kid a million years ago 😂). Most of my planning has been for Hawaii but starting to look into DL as we are now under 4 months out! Really Really hoping for nightly fireworks since we are leaving on Sat!

We are planning to get 3 day park hoppers. Would we be better off with all park reservations at DCA due to the GCH entrance?

Hi! Joining in. We will be at VGC from Aug 13-17th after 5 nights at Aulani. We are East Coast DVC so DW veterans but this will be our first trip to DL (except for me when I was a kid a million years ago 😂). Most of my planning has been for Hawaii but starting to look into DL as we are now under 4 months out! Really Really hoping for nightly fireworks since we are leaving on Sat!

We are planning to get 3 day park hoppers. Would we be better off with all park reservations at DCA due to the GCH entrance?
No, you’ll def want to start some days at DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter