August, 2019

Soham KB

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We're thinking of doing a cruise in August, 2019.

Multi-generational: my grandparents, my aunt, my sister and myself. Besides my aunt, we have all sailed on the Magic in November, 2008.

Just wanted to know your take on the itineraries. We want to either do Alaska or the Caribbean. We will be flying out of either PHL or EWR.

Right now, Alaska is $9,090 at the lowest price and the Caribbean is around $8,600 - both without airfare.
Just wanted to know: should we book the Caribbean one and take the risk of doing Alaska in 2020 when the new prices come out, to see if it would be less expensive? Or should we do the same with the Caribbean?

I've researched other cruise lines, I want to stick with Disney on these.

TIA!

Last edited:
Hi all,

We're thinking of doing a cruise in August, 2019.

Multi-generational: my grandparents, my aunt, my sister and myself. Besides my aunt, we have all sailed on the Magic in November, 2008.

Just wanted to know your take on the itineraries. We want to either do Alaska or the Caribbean.
Right now, Alaska is $9,090 at the lowest price and the Caribbean is around $7,000.
Just wanted to know: should we book the Caribbean one and take the risk of doing Alaska in 2020 when the new prices come out, to see if it would be less expensive? Or should we do the same with the Caribbean?

I've researched other cruise lines, I want to stick with Disney on these.

TIA!

Summer cruises, no matter where they are, are cheapest on opening day.

That being said, I think the Alaska prices increase more than the Caribbean prices.

The Caribbean in summer will offer a longer cruise of 6-11 nights on the Fantasy and shorter cruises of 3-5 nights on the Dream. They are sister ships with similar amenities.

Alaska will be on the classic Wonder and the itineraries are almost all a standard 7-night trip.

Yeah, we were debating whether or not we wanted to do another classic ship, especially after the huge reimagination.
But as you said, yes they both increase after opening day (probably 9 months ago).
We will probably do the Fantasy for August, unless AK drops drastically or the Caribbean increases.

Alaska does not have hurricane season in August.

The Caribbean is sweltering and sticky.

Alaska doesn't have Castaway Cay.

I cannot imagine AK is going to drop at all. I'd pick AK, if you look at pictures of the glaciers now as opposed to just a couple of years ago, the landscape is changing quickly. I would choose to see it sooner rather than later.

Alaska is always a beautiful destination, and comes with the bonus of being able to spend a few days in Vancouver, truly the most beautiful city in the world (biased: I live there) so that would be my pick.... I tend to think the Caribbean is always as expected, which is lovely, but Alaska has a short cruising season, take advantage while you can.

I agree with the PP, AK in August is beautiful, active, and (depending on where you live) refreshingly great weather, even when a passing rain shower occurs. We did the cruise in Sept of this year and enjoyed the cooler weather and only one day of rain. Coming from New Mexico, the weather was a great change from the hot days and we experienced a full day of rain, which we never experience in the high desert.
You can always go hot and tropical in the Caribbean, but AK is limited and special to see.

For me, Alaska is a destination where the cruise is secondary, whereas the Caribbean I don't really like getting off the ship and the cruise is the main focus. I love Castaway Cay, but I think Alaska would be the better option. You won't have to worry about hurricanes, which can definitely happen in August and the prices will probably go up not down. The weather will be a lot cooler too, August is crazy hot down here.

We have done both and agree with the above...go with the bears, whales, hummingbirds (one, might have been Tinkerbell, came up to our verandah to look us over in Juneau) seals and tall stories in the last frontier of Alaska for your upcoming cruise. Book the Caribbean for your next one earlier or later in the summer...many choices through DCL. Cruise on...

Hi, we already have a facebook group of folks (about 200+ so far) that are doing Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy with a sail date of 10 August. We have everyone from seasoned cruisers to first timers.. love to have you and your family join us... It truly is a MAGICAL Vacay...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter