• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attention Mobile video experts...your help needed...now!

Fargoman2

DIS Veteran
We will soon be departing for some extensive road travel and need some expert guidance on mobile video systems.

What can you road warriors tell me about the following:

1. FunTv and portable units in general.

2. Permanent install--worth the expense? Can I really trust BestBuy to install one without wrecking my vehicle?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!!

We bought a great tv/vcr combo that comes in it's own travel case. It holds straps that you wrap around both front seats and it "dangles" in the middle. There is two jacks for headphones (the best part), so you and your bubby can talk or listen to music and the kids are happily watching a movie. We bought ours at Circuit City but they have almost the same thing (or maybe it IS the same thing) at Best Buy. Try looking at Target too. I bet they have something.

I wouldn't have anything installed. That's just my opinion.

Good luck.

One more thing. The unit itself is a vcr with a flip up LCD 5 inch screen. You just lay the screen down when packing it up. It looks just like a small piece of luggage.

What type of car do you have? We have a mini van and I bought a 9 inch TV/VDR combo from target. It has the 2 jacks for head set and they sell this great bag for about $39. I don't think I would have one installed unless I travel all the time and planned to keep a car for 15 years! I don't like the small 4 inch TV's just too small and you are limited to watching it only in the car. WIth the 9 inch you can use it in the house too.

We bought a FunTV and just got back from a trip (not Disney).

It worked great and for the cost compared to the installed kind it worked fine. Our girls, 6 and 3, didn't mind that it was only 4inches big.

We used ours in the back seat of the van and had to buy a power supply extention cord at Radio Shack. Extra $8 I think but that way we could use it in the back seat.

We have a MPV with a permanent install. Mazda had the local shop install it when we bought it. Best thing since sliced bread as far as traveling with young ones. To answer whether you should get a perm install or temp is up to you and your situation. For us, we only have the one van to travel in. Other car is for going to work and around town, so no need to move from one vehicle to another. Some advantages I see in the perm install, are everything is out of site when not in use and it is bolted in for added safety during accident. We had someone cross centerline and hit us and nothing moved. And the best part.....CORDLESS head phones!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter