Attack In London

focusondisney

DIS Veteran
Watching the news on the terror attack in London. Thinking of & praying for all our British friends. So sorry this is happening again.

Isn't it a little early to say it was a terror attack? This could have been a lone nutcase.

The mayor of London issued a statement saying it is being treated as a terrorist attack until the police know otherwise. I did not relate it to any group. One person can certainly be a terrorist.

David Lidington, the leader of the House of Commons made a similar statement. Terrorists are nutcases too.

Live updates:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...cicant-damage-to-service-sector-politics-live

Remember to take this stuff with grain of salt. Nothing you see reported should be taken at face value for several hours.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/breaking-news-consumers-handbook-pdf/

This!

I'm actually avoiding media right now, because I know there will be a lot of rumour, inaccuracy, error and supposition flying around. I'll see what's being reported tonight at six, and I'll check again to see if anything's changed in the morning.

Obviously, if you live in London or have friends or family in London, that's a different matter, and you'll want to follow things more closely. But, by and large, I find the whole "breaking news" routine is worse than useless.

The current situation at 8pm GST

Car driven through pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and then hit several pedestrians at the Parliament fencing.
A single person then attacked a Policeman with a knife.
The attacker was then shot by armed police officer.
Reporting 4 dead including the police officer and the attacker and roughly 20 people have been injured.
One person was hit by the car and knocked off the bridge into the Thames but she was fished out off the river injured but alive.
Reports of 3 French students among those injured.

MPs/Peers/Westminster Staff have been let out of lock-down at Westminster Abbey about 10/15 minutes ago having been held there since about 5pm.

And that's about all we know. There have been some reports on Twitter apparently identifying the attacker but other tweets reporting the named person is in fact in prison.

You'd think what with the IRA and everything that we'd be used to terrorism :sad2:

Ironically McGuiness died yesterday, a former commander for the IRA - come - politician. Blood on his hands.

I know that area very well as I used to work in 2 of the conferences centres in Westminister and I used to get the bus home on Westminister Bridge. That area at that time of day around 3pm, there is alot of people in that area. Not just the tourists, but all the people who work in the Parliament and surrounding buildings and conference centres.

Thankfully, knowing London well, I know that my London friends are safe but its heartbreaking to see them using the FACEBOOK I AM SAFE feature. Its just yet another reminder that something can happen at any time , in any place. The way to fight this is to be aware but to not alter plans, or routines and just to carry on normal

I know that area very well as I used to work in 2 of the conferences centres in Westminister and I used to get the bus home on Westminister Bridge. That area at that time of day around 3pm, there is alot of people in that area. Not just the tourists, but all the people who work in the Parliament and surrounding buildings and conference centres.

Thankfully, knowing London well, I know that my London friends are safe but its heartbreaking to see them using the FACEBOOK I AM SAFE feature. Its just yet another reminder that something can happen at any time , in any place. The way to fight this is to be aware but to not alter plans, or routines and just to carry on normal

Well, I am glad you & your friends are safe. I only started the thread to let our British Dis friends know they are in our thoughts. :hug:

My daughter lives in London so it sent a chill but the Brits are nothing , if not resilient!!

Isn't it a little early to say it was a terror attack? This could have been a lone nutcase.

I think they are treating it as terrorist attack. It's probably also because it happened near the parliament...

def scary stuff.

A lone nutcase can still be a terrorist. I think we sometimes assume certain things about the term terrorist. Timothy McVeigh was a lone nutcase, but he was still a terrorist. Doesn't matter where he was from.

McVeigh didn't act alone, but yes on the nutcase & terrorist parts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter