Atkins people - help!

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
My father in law is recovering from surgery - and staying with us for 2 weeks.

He is diabetic, and his doctor is making him follow a STRICT diabetic diet from now on. (He doesn't eat very well now - goes out to eat a lot, etc.)

So, since he's staying with us, he's following Atkins along with me. My problem is breakfast. I can grab an Atkins bar, or some keto cereal, or leftovers from the previous night, no problem. But, he's used to eating "normal" food for breakfast. Eggs, pancakes, toast, etc.

The weekend was ok - I made omelettes both mornings with bacon and a few sliced strawberries or SF yogurt for him.

But, I work during the week and I leave at 6am! I can't get up another half-hour earlier to make him a full breakfast (and expect him to be up that early to eat it!) Any ideas for things I can make the night before and he can maybe just throw in the microwave? Or something that wouldn't need to be cooked?

Thanks!

We fry about 2lbs of bacon on the weekends...just a little underdone...and then in the AM we can just pop it in the micro for about 30 secs and its done and crispy. You can do this with just about any meat...ham, taylor ham,...etc.

Will he eat a hard boiled egg? you could have those handy. OR you can scramble eggs and put them in the fridge, he can heat them up in the micro with a slice of cheese on top...Its not my first choice..but it should work.

Good Luck
Tracy

Ok- let's see. Will he eat cheesecake for breakfast? GO up to the Atkins recipe post and get a copy of Beachgirl's cheesecake recipe- YUM- he can have that a few fresh strawberries on top. What about hard boiled eggs and bacon that has already been cooked. You can also make a crustless quiche the night before and let him pop it in the oven in the morning (if he's able to) . For bread- Atkins does have a bread- just have him substitute reg. bread with that bread. If he's use to eggs every morning, then he can still have them as you know! Is he able to cook at all? I would sautee a bunch of veggies for him and keep them in the fridge. Have pre- shredded cheese and pre cooked bacon and sausage. Show him where they are and tell him that he can mix those in with scrambled eggs to make an omelet. You can buy ATkins pancake mix, make the pancakes ahead of time and then freeze them for him. He can take them out of the freezer and pop them in the microwave to warm. Walden Farms makes a very good pancake syrup- no calories, no carbs! If you get the Atkins type bread , you could also probably make an overnight french toast.

That's about all I can think of for know- but if more ideas come, I'll write them out again. GOOD LUCK!

I cook the crustless quiche on Sunday night, along with 1 lb of sausage.

Every morning I throw an 1/8 piece of the quiche and 2 sausage links in the microwave for 40 seconds to heat everything up!

I vote for a quiche, and I'll even provide a recipe. It's one I use frequently.

Basic Quiche

(I usually double this and put it in a 9x13 casserole dish) These are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And it even tastes good cold! If I'm reheating, I do it in a 350 oven for 15 minutes, or if a microwave is handy, you could use that!!!!

4 eggs
1 1/2 c. cream (or half and half, but cream has fewer carbs)
2 c. cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Grease bottom of dish with butter. Sprinkle cheese on bottom of pan. Mix together eggs and cream. Pour over cheese. Bake uncovered at 400 for 15 minutes, then lower temp to 350 and bake another 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

Options

I am big on making quiches and putting whatever I'm in the mood for in them. Some good combos are: leftover taco meat with olives and jalapenos. Shrimp, chicken, or imitation crab with asparagus or spinach and mushrooms (Swiss cheese is awesome with that!) Whatever you have left over makes a pretty good quiche.

My Favorite Breakfast Version

1 lb. Bob Evans bulk sausage; 1 or 2 red peppers, chopped; 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced; cheddar cheese

I'm a big fan of the crustless quiche too.... I make a different kind every Sunday and also cook up some breakfast links (that don't have sugar in the label) to micro whenever i want. I also buy that Oscar Myer Bacon in the box...very handy, tastse delish.

The Atkins or Keto brand pancakes are really not bad. My favorite are the Keto Banana Pancakes (find them at GNC or your fav health food store....maybe even online!)

Another big hit at my house is the Quick Bread/Muffin mixes from Atkins.... I make the muffins on Sunday for breakfast the following week, and the kids put cream cheese on them - this is my substitute for Bagels, which they love ...but i think they love the cream cheese more regardless of what they put it on!

I love eggs, so besides the quiche, I will make up some scrambled eggs the night before, then put it on a small dessert plate and sprinkle my favorite cheese on it....then I wrap it in plastic wrap. The next morning I can just pop it in the micro with the bacon, grab a muffin and I'm good to go!

Good luck!
Sue

If you don't have time to pre-cook bacon, Costco sells microwave bacon that is basically pre-cooked bacon that you microwave for a few seconds. It actually turns out pretty good!

Another thing I do for breakfast is canned ham. I get the small can and slice it and wrap them individually. They just need to be microwaved (or heated in a pan) for a few seconds.

You could also pre-scramble some eggs. One of the ladies at works does that and has them for lunch!

I cook my eggs in the micro in the morning, It is much faster and there is no mess. You could mix the eggs in a tupperware container and leave it for him to micro for about 1min 30secs. I also cook up a package of sausage at the beginning of the week and just heat them as i go.

These are all great ideas! I knew I could count on you guys! :) :)

Thanks a lot! I think I'm going to bake a quiche tonight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter