• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Atkins...and kids!

marydmjj

DIS Veteran
I never noticed how much sugar and carbs my family eats until today. It was pretty hard sticking to my plan and feeding my kids. Sweet cereal at breakfast, cookies during the day for snack, chips, etc etc etc! Seemed like everything they ate today was taboo to me :p.

I know how you feel, Mary, I have two kids as well, but thankfully being on Atkins, I haven't had too many problems with wanting to eat the snacks in the house! I am more focused on earning my new clippies, so thankfully I think of that each time I feel like snacking! LOL I know, it is weird, but it works for me! :):)

Even with not being on Atkins
sweet cereal, cookies, chips are definately out for me - those are the kinds of foods I dont even need to wonder if they are good for me or not

And yes I agree- when the kids are home it's definately more noticeable what they're eating
I was surprised tho when I came in from mowing last night and DS11 was eating grapes that werent actually put inside his hand!

The kids would probably benefit from more healthy breakfasts/snacks too! If you make eggs for yourself for breakfast, make some for them! And, instead of chips/cookies for snacks - how about veggies/dip (kids love dip), deviled eggs, frozen grapes (really good!), or sugar free jello with whipping cream! They would think they're getting a great treat! Celery with peanut butter is a good snack too! :)

Its funny that you mentioned that Mary...I was just thinking about that last night too. It is a tough dilema..on one hand you don't want to tell your kids they can't eat something...but on the other...you don't want to pump them with all that sugar and carbs. My tactics have been overt....I try and slip in some "low carb" treats without them knowing. I have been using the "dip" idea like Rhonda says..."they love it". They love pepperoni too. Keep giving them the "low carb" stuff to try... My DD 7yo...loves Silm Jims and Beef Jerkey...(I would have never thought that in a million years) I already have an advantage...my kids DO NOT like bread...especially sandwiches. They like their meat rolled up...they even take it to school like that.

Just do your best...and keep in mind that they are still kids. They will learn by you SHOWING them whats right. Thats how they learn...from example. And it sounds like you are setting a good example for them.

Tracy

Thanks for the advice. My oldest, 7, eats pretty well (fruits, veggies etc) but my youngest, 3, absolutely will not eat a single fruit or veggie. And he will only drink apple juice, no milk, no water! :rolleyes: I sneak veggies into spaghetti sauce and other things but it's not the same as snacking on carrots.

I used to spend my days grazing through snacks. Now that they are off limits, I notice how much of them are around the house. I'm giving some serious thought to not replenishing the supply and replacing it with other things.

I think that's a great idea, Mary. Don't replenish the sugary snacks when they are gone. That way you won't be tempted and your kids will be healthier, too :)

My 13 year old has lost 3 lbs, and my 9 year old daughter has lost 2 lbs since my husband and I started atkins a month ago. Neither of them were really overweight, but of the four kids, they are my biggest junk food fiends. I wouldn't want them to lose any more weight, and they don't seem to be losing anything else, I think it was just their bodies adjusting to the changes in our household's way of eating.

We've been on Atkins for a month, and we have slowly eliminated the high carb snacks, by just not replacing them. Also at dinner time, we've been eating meat and salads or a green vegetable. It was so hard for me to give up my irish/canadian programming (gotta serve a starch!) I always served potatos or pasta or rice with dinner. Now I serve whole wheat bread or small whole wheat dinner roll with their grilled chicken and salad. Thank god they love salad!

The hardest thing was snacks - the dip idea works great for us too.... and they love cheese cubes or string cheese. A celery stick with cream cheese is a big hit too. I do still buy fresh fruit for them, but I cut back on the juices and buy club soda, or seltzer, sweetened with the Atkins syrups (they love the ginger ale, strawberry and raspberry) The hazelnut syrup (or chocolate) with club soda and a scoop of atkins vanilla ice cream makes a really neat ice cream soda!

I still let them have popcorn on the weekend, and I've tried buying nuts...they love pumpkin seeds.

And lastly I've started making the atkins or keto quick muffins
for them for breakfast. I make scrambled eggs the night before and throw them in the fridge, the next morning they help themselves to the eggs, throw a little cheddar cheese on them and pop them in the microwave. I also buy that fully cooked bacon in a box (it's actually quite delicious) My son says he isn't hungry at 10 a.m. anymore like he used to be!

I don't forbid them anything, and I will buy them pringles or gummi bears once in a great while, for a treat, but as far as their everyday eating habits - I've noticed a great improvement for all of us!

Sue

Originally posted by marydmjj
...(snip)....I used to spend my days grazing through snacks. Now that they are off limits, I notice how much of them are around the house. I'm giving some serious thought to not replenishing the supply and replacing it with other things.

I think that's a great idea, too. I've been reading all kinds of articles lately the "epidemic" levels of obesity and Type II diabetes in children. We Americans eat way too much sugar and refined carbs/junk carbs and our kids are developing health problems because of it. You'll be doing your kids a big favor if you can wean them off all the sugar and junk carbs. FWIW, I wouldn't worry too much about your youngest. Lots of kids go through those "stages" of weird eating habits. If you continue to offer good choices, he'll eventually accept them (and probably learn to like them).

My family is eating much better since I started Atkins. The only junk that gets in the cupboards now comes from my DH's and DD's trips to the grocery store - and thank goodness they both HATE grocery shopping! :teeth:

Best wishes,
Carol

I have been doing the same things with my children. Our dinners are now COMPLETELY different from the things I used to serve. Lots chicken/lean beef with green veggies and salads. I am surprised (still) that neither of mine have asked for spaghetti! That was a weekly staple here! Along with lasagne, and ravioli, and.... ;) You get the idea.
As I am doing WW and dh is no carbs after 4, we have combined these plans to make something that works well for us. And no/low carb meals are actually very low in WW points! A double win for me!
I have really pulled in the types of things I purchase for snacks. I still encourage them to have fruits, but they can also chose from string cheese, cubed cheese, mini beef sticks. No more Little Debbie snacks here! Hopefully I am instilling some better eating habits in my children so they don't have to go through the journey I am currently making. :)

Good thread! I've been struggling with this lately. I am the only one in my family on Atkins. I still buy and make all of the food they like to eat. But lately I have really begun to notice the sugar content (because I'm so focused on it) and I do woory about their health.

I have 2 DDs (5 & 3). They are not overweight at all. And they LOVE vegetables and fruits. I'm lucky there. But, they also LOVE bread. That's usually all they eay from a meal: vegetable and bread. And my DH has a habit of adding sugar to everything. My DDs love scrambled eggs. Now my DH puts sugar in them and they won't eat them any other way! He put sugar on spaghetti and saurkraut. We don't have pop (soda) in the house and actually they don't drink juice or Kool-Aid either. Usually water is what they choose.

So I have some good and some bad and I'm not sure if it's worth fighting with my DH over. He supports my Atkins plan, but I don't think he'd take to me putting the whole family on it. The girls are healthy overall. I don't know whether to make an issue of this or not???

PAdisMom - I would make an issue of the sugar on the spaghetti or sauerkraut thing... also the eggs.... it will ruin their teeth! Sugar on spaghetti! Refined sugar on a major carb that gets stuck in their teeth and is not always easy to get out from between. Especially at that age when you can't really floss for them!

I think you are very couragous for making healthy changes for yourself and your family! I have a stubborn family myself, so I know it can be a struggle. However, I would very much draw the line at sweetening food that is not meant to be sweetened! Especially if it were not just a once in a while thing, but something that is a regular thing in your home.

Good food is so delicious! By pouring sugar on things that are better left alone, not only is he ruining the natural flavor of the food, but he might be contributing to a sugar dependancy that will leave your kids hyper, or depressed, with crazy blood sugar levels that could lead to diabetes! There is no cure for diabetes!!!It is a heartbreaking thing to see a child or an adult suffer from diabetes. It ends up controlling your whole life.

I hope you aren't offended by the mini-rant, but I really feel strongly that what your husband is doing, when he sweetens food such as eggs and spaghetti is something you need to speak to him about. If you can't, speak to your pediatrician about it and see if maybe he/she can help you to help your husband see how it is unhealthy for the kids.

Good luck to you!

My DH and DD follow a maintenance version of Atkins. They have whole grain bread (lowest carb/highest whole grain content I can find), and also have oatmeal, low carb cereal (oat bran that has a net carb count of 20 per 1 cup serving or Uncle Sam Flax cereal), and a few more fruits than I do (small apple or nectarine in addition to lots of berries). They also eat SF bluebunny icecream and SF Pure Delight chocolate bars once in a while (which I am avoiding until I get to my goal weight) and some whole milk in modest amounts. Other than that... they eat what I do! Lots of good protein sources, good fats, and low carb veggies. Neither of them eat sugar or refined/processed carbs anymore. DD is 11 and she ASKED to eat lower carb after seeing how much better I was feeling and because she wondered if it would help her to establish a life long relaxed and healthy relationship with food.

The results of this change in our household are very clear to see. DD's preteen acne has SIGNIFICANTLY improved. She is flourishing (growing very tall!) and she eats very well (no limits on what she eats) and yet she is maintaining a lean perfect body weight for her changing height. No deprivation for any of us - we eat when we are hungry. DH has lost 15 pounds without even really trying.

We discussed doing this and it was a concious decision to have the whole household change over. DH was the one who suggested a "let's clean out the pantry of all CARBAGE day"! I feel so much better about the relationship my daughter is establishing with food - so much better than the lifetime love/hate relationship I had with it.

That's great Dixie. I asked DH if he wanted to do Atkins with me (he needs to lose 30+ lbs) and he said no way. He is even more dependent on carbs than I am. He has to have sweet for breakfast and something sweet (usually candy bar) after every meal. His mom always had dessert and bakings around the house so it's been part of his life forever. *Sigh* I'm definitely struggling with all the snacks around here.

Mary - my DH has a SF Pure Delight chocolate bar OR a Blue Bunny SF chocolate covered ice cream bar every evening after dinner. He too has a sweet tooth that will not be denied... but luckily... there is no reason too because he CAN have it and still not have sugar. Just a thought!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter