At Aulani Now & It’s Amazing

Thank you for the clarification. My daughter just turned 12 but won’t have both doses by the time we go. So will she need to test every 2 days?

This is crazy, a scenario I am sure the lawmakers didn't think about, it's unfortunate that you happen in be caught in the in-between state... I think you should email the Oahu Safe access program, as it's not right for families in this situations, as I don't think that was their original intention.

Great3

Last edited:
We are here now for 9 nights, checked in yesterday, which didn’t go so smooth. A couple things both plus and minus:
1. The cast members here are the friendliest most gracious I have ever encountered.
2. Crowds are very low and even at noon you could still find plenty of seating, albeit by Ama Ama or the beach.
3. Check in was a little frenetic. They valeted our car for check in but didn’t tell us that until we came back out literally five minutes later. No one was directing people where to go. We did Online Check in but no one was at the Online desk initially so we went into the main line only to be told we could have used the online desk.
4. Operations have been updated but there isn’t any notice of updates. The gym, which we use daily, is now temporarily closed. They said it was because of the 9/13 mandate but 9/12 the site or app never said it was closing. Yes, we could do other activities, but that is a big thing for us to do daily so notice would have been nice. They finally admitted they didn’t plan for it or staff for it….yet the salon and spa are still fully open. Also, character meet and greets are no longer listed in the app so if you don’t check your tv for the day before you go poolside you won’t know where or when. Mickey and Pluto were at the Olelo Room early this morning doing meet and greets. Several characters were rotating out on the landing by the lazy river.
5. The hours of operation at the food service don’t align. We went to Mamas today as the website and sign outside say it’s open 11a to 5p. Nope, it’s now only open Fri to Sun. Off the Hook hours are posted as 11a to 9p but at 10am today people were getting food and drinks.

I totally get the changes due to ever changing restrictions, crowds, cancellations and they have to balance guest amenities with payroll and costs…just communication of updates would be much appreciated and avoid some disappointment.

BTW…we love it here! Just sharing some things we encountered. And again, the cast members are beyond amazing!!!

We are here now for 9 nights, checked in yesterday, which didn’t go so smooth. A couple things both plus and minus:
1. The cast members here are the friendliest most gracious I have ever encountered.
2. Crowds are very low and even at noon you could still find plenty of seating, albeit by Ama Ama or the beach.
3. Check in was a little frenetic. They valeted our car for check in but didn’t tell us that until we came back out literally five minutes later. No one was directing people where to go. We did Online Check in but no one was at the Online desk initially so we went into the main line only to be told we could have used the online desk.
4. Operations have been updated but there isn’t any notice of updates. The gym, which we use daily, is now temporarily closed. They said it was because of the 9/13 mandate but 9/12 the site or app never said it was closing. Yes, we could do other activities, but that is a big thing for us to do daily so notice would have been nice. They finally admitted they didn’t plan for it or staff for it….yet the salon and spa are still fully open. Also, character meet and greets are no longer listed in the app so if you don’t check your tv for the day before you go poolside you won’t know where or when. Mickey and Pluto were at the Olelo Room early this morning doing meet and greets. Several characters were rotating out on the landing by the lazy river.
5. The hours of operation at the food service don’t align. We went to Mamas today as the website and sign outside say it’s open 11a to 5p. Nope, it’s now only open Fri to Sun. Off the Hook hours are posted as 11a to 9p but at 10am today people were getting food and drinks.

I totally get the changes due to ever changing restrictions, crowds, cancellations and they have to balance guest amenities with payroll and costs…just communication of updates would be much appreciated and avoid some disappointment.

BTW…we love it here! Just sharing some things we encountered. And again, the cast members are beyond amazing!!!
Thank you for the info on the gym - I was curious if it was open or not. A little bummed as I don’t really want to run in the heat…oh well - A run in Hawaii is better than any run at home 😉

Some of us are waiting for the gym to reopen... others are waiting for the buffet and the refillable mugs.

We are not the same.

Characters I saw last weekend by the Lazy River: Moana, Pluto, Goofy, Stitch, Baby Goofy. Micky and Minnie were by the buffet.
I think Shelly comes out in the morning and the storyteller is by the pool at 7:15,8:15, 9:15 I think when he comes. No Olu and Duffy!

Here now as well and while the resort seemed busy over the weekend, yesterday and today it has been quite empty. We were in Waikiki yesterday and restaurants there required you to show 1) physical vaccine card, 2) photo of vaccine card + photo ID, or 3) Safe Travels QR code + photo ID. As others have mentioned Aulani is doing black wristbands to verify vaccination status. They have also limited all quick service locations to resort guests only,

Had a gorgeous day at our favorite cabana (#5) and heading to Roy’s for dinner!
Curious about this…Option 3 above is “Safe Travels QR code + photo ID”. Does that mean no proof of vaccination as long as you have a Safe Travels QR code?

We debated coming out till the very last second and made the choice to make the trip…and couldn’t be happier!

We are fully vaccinated and taking all precautions, and the crowd levels are really low and our ocean view room is just what we asked for on the highest floor of the EWA tower.

No judgment to anyone not feeling safe making the trip, but for us this is just what we needed!

Good for you! We all gotta find a way to be safe and get that “just what we needed”. Keep us healthy and sane. Enjoy!

Curious about this…Option 3 above is “Safe Travels QR code + photo ID”. Does that mean no proof of vaccination as long as you have a Safe Travels QR code?

The QR code showing vaccination status would be your proof. However, this doesn’t seem to be accepted at all restaurants. We ate at Roy’s last night and they required physical vaccine cards. At Monkeypod tonight they were fine with the Safe Travels QR code and a photo ID. We are keeping physical cards in the rental car with us just in case. We were up on the North shore today and Giovanni’s shrimp truck even wanted to see proof of vaccination!

I am planning a trip in December. My husband and I both have the vaccine cards from the CDC. The state of HI says the card must include the location where the vaccine was administered. On our cards, it just has an abbreviation for the hospital (for example, "SECD"), no further details. There isn't a lot of room on the card for further locationinfo. For anyone who has traveled recently, is that acceptable or do they need more detail? TIA!!

I am planning a trip in December. My husband and I both have the vaccine cards from the CDC. The state of HI says the card must include the location where the vaccine was administered. On our cards, it just has an abbreviation for the hospital (for example, "SECD"), no further details. There isn't a lot of room on the card for further locationinfo. For anyone who has traveled recently, is that acceptable or do they need more detail? TIA!!
When you fill out your quarantine exception paperwork on the Safe Travels site, it'll ask for more information about the location. You sign a form that says the State of Hawaii can call the place that vaccinated you to confirm that they really did.

When you fill out your quarantine exception paperwork on the Safe Travels site, it'll ask for more information about the location. You sign a form that says the State of Hawaii can call the place that vaccinated you to confirm that they really did.
Thank you. I called the state where I got the vaccine and they were able to link me to a website that provided a more detailed card, with the exact location as well as a QR code. Much more info than the little card provided, and I am sure the state wouldn't have a problem with this new one.

To be very clear, lest anyone take this as an insult, I'm a "buffet and Coke" person, not a "treadmill at dawn" person.

To be honest, I am a treadmill or running path, pool, or bike at dawn kind of person and I embarrass my DH at the buffet because I can out eat him. However, I do prefer unsweetened iced tea or Diet Pepsi. ;)

The QR code showing vaccination status would be your proof. However, this doesn’t seem to be accepted at all restaurants. We ate at Roy’s last night and they required physical vaccine cards. At Monkeypod tonight they were fine with the Safe Travels QR code and a photo ID. We are keeping physical cards in the rental car with us just in case. We were up on the North shore today and Giovanni’s shrimp truck even wanted to see proof of vaccination!

I'm finding the same - proof of vaccination/testing varies from business to business.

What is Giovanni's procedure? Do you need to show proof of vaccination/testing for to-go orders? Or do you only need to show proof in order to sit down on the benches? My family is fully vaccinated (those who can be), but I'm curious how other businesses are handling the new mandate.

The tricky part is if the business only does takeout, they don’t need to check. If they do takeout and indoor seating, then they need to check, to my understanding. Giovannis has sit down as well as takeout but it is solely outdoor so hmmmm, the vax check/negative Covid test applies to indoor seating. So not needed imho.
Indoor seating is the barrier & key to unlock the mystery on Oahu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter