Asking for tips in a merchandise location - international drive

Disneymad1993

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Currently staying at a hotel on international drive for a few days before going to our Disney hotel for two weeks.

Went to the coffee shop to get coffee and milkshakes and the card machine asked if we want to tip. Since the person had to make the milkshakes then I did tap one of the tip options.

However this also happened when we went to the merchandise store to buy bottles of fizzy drinks. Is this normal or is this hotel trying to make extra money??

However this also happened when we went to the merchandise store to buy bottles of fizzy drinks.
That does seem a bit strange, but I suppose having the machines standard throughout the hotel does make sense for staff and customers - you all know what should happen.

As a rule when/if I tip, I give them cash - you hear stories about companies not passing on the electronic ones and I just feel it's more personal.
Though where there are backroom staff too you're relying on the customer facing one to pass some back.
It's tricky.

We've just got back and found in both Sprinkles and Gideon's cookies there is an option when paying by card for the customer to tip. I declined.

I will happily tip for table service meals but as far as I am aware it is not expected at counter service restaurants. I’ve come across similar in the last few years and just declined when asked for a tip.

Same thing for me at Polite Pig, how can you add a tip at the start of a meal when you have no idea of the service you'll get?
Found it strange that as a counter service it was even asking, makes you feel bad at the till as you ask your partner what to do!

Same thing for me at Polite Pig, how can you add a tip at the start of a meal when you have no idea of the service you'll get?
Found it strange that as a counter service it was even asking, makes you feel bad at the till as you ask your partner what to do!
😂😂.

We saw this a lot too when paying by card - Salt & Straw, the Joffrey's Kiosks, seemed to be everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter