Art of Animation - Room Choice Help please

The walk might have felt the same to you, but the distance is not.
Using the "measure distance" function on Google Maps, I started at the furthest building in Section 7 near the parking lot at POFQ and followed the path along the river up through the pool area to the main building. The distance worked out to be roughly 1,143 feet which is about 1/4 of a mile. Using the same function, I started at the center courtyard where the Little Mermaid pool is at AOA and followed the path along the center of the buildings through the Lion King section up to the main building, across from the Nemo pool. The distance worked out to be roughly 1,117 feet which is also about 1/4 of a mile. Had I started at the very end of the sidewalk after the pool in the LM section, the distance would be nearly the same as POFQ.

I understand that one can feel longer or shorter than the other - the views at POFQ likely make the walk more enjoyable - but the distance is essentially the same. FWIW, I didn't measure this to contradict you personally, but rather to show others who are scared of the LM distance that its really not that bad.

Using the "measure distance" function on Google Maps, I started at the furthest building in Section 7 near the parking lot at POFQ and followed the path along the river up through the pool area to the main building. The distance worked out to be roughly 1,143 feet which is about 1/4 of a mile. Using the same function, I started at the center courtyard where the Little Mermaid pool is at AOA and followed the path along the center of the buildings through the Lion King section up to the main building, across from the Nemo pool. The distance worked out to be roughly 1,117 feet which is also about 1/4 of a mile. Had I started at the very end of the sidewalk after the pool in the LM section, the distance would be nearly the same as POFQ.

I understand that one can feel longer or shorter than the other - the views at POFQ likely make the walk more enjoyable - but the distance is essentially the same. FWIW, I didn't measure this to contradict you personally, but rather to show others who are scared of the LM distance that its really not that bad.

You can also have a look at approxiamate walk times to the lobby for each resort in touring plans. The furthest room at POFQ is 4 minutes while the furthest room out in a LM room is 7 minutes.

You can also have a look at approxiamate walk times to the lobby for each resort in touring plans. The furthest room at POFQ is 4 minutes while the furthest room out in a LM room is 7 minutes.
Time is subjective because everyone walks at different paces. Distance doesn't vary much, even if you use different paths.

I've also found Touring Plans to not be the most reliable. The room maps with views and room data are often inaccurate.

Time is subjective because everyone walks at different paces. Distance doesn't vary much, even if you use different paths.

I've also found Touring Plans to not be the most reliable. The room maps with views and room data are often inaccurate.

All I can say is it was a 3 minute walk for me from the furthest room out in building 6 at POFQ when I stayed there and about 7 and a half minute walk from building 7 at AofA when I stayed there. Like I said, I go back and forth between the room and food court several times a day, so I do time my walks at some point from every resort I stay at.

All I can say is it was a 3 minute walk for me from the furthest room out in building 6 at POFQ when I stayed there and about 7 and a half minute walk from building 7 at AofA when I stayed there. Like I said, I go back and forth between the room and food court several times a day, so I do time my walks at some point from every resort I stay at.
Yep, timing is going to be subjective depending on the path you choose and the speed you walk. But the distance is roughly the same.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you the walk is fine, but I've found some context is helpful when reading threads to understand each perspective. That's all.

Using the "measure distance" function on Google Maps, I started at the furthest building in Section 7 near the parking lot at POFQ and followed the path along the river up through the pool area to the main building.
But we’re talking about the closest distance to the food court. Why would you walk up to the the river from the parking lot, follow the curve up to the pool and then head back down, to go to the food court? :confused3 You end up heading way up and then you have to head way back down.

Just walk tbrought the middle/main path from anywhere in building 7. The food court is a straight shot down. About 240 meters from the furthest room out. Even closer if you’re by the parking lot. Just walk past building 4. The food court door is right on the corner.

It’s about 240 meters from the food court at AofA to get just past the Lion King Section. And another 240 meters to get to the furthest LM room, so double the distance of the furthest room out at POFQ.

Last edited:

Building 7 is further out at POFQ. So if you're walking from 6, you're not walking from the furthest room. 7X48 is the furthest out room - and yes, I've had that one.

Building 7 is further out at POFQ. So if you're walking from 6, you're not walking from the furthest room. 7X48 is the furthest out room - and yes, I've had that one.
Yes. I know. It’s an extra minute or 2 from the furthest room out in building 6 to the furthest room out in building 7. Roughly 5 minutes tops.

.....IMHO, unless you have young ones that delight at characters like Ariel, Simba, Lightning McQueen and the like, I would stay elsewhere. For Disney standards, it's just too campy and tacky for me. However, having a separate bedroom with its own bathroom could be quite lovely for the adults:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

...of course, in all fairness, these WERE taken during our 1-day stay in August of 2019, before transferring over to the Gran Destino, only about 2 weeks newly opened....

But we’re talking about the closest distance to the food court. Why would you walk up to the the river from the parking lot, follow the curve up to the pool and then head back down, to go to the food court? :confused3 You end up heading way up and then you have to head way back down.

Just walk tbrought the middle/main path from anywhere in building 7. The food court is a straight shot down. About 240 meters from the furthest room out. Even closer if you’re by the parking lot. Just walk past building 4. The food court door is right on the corner.
It’s about 240 meters from the food court at AofA to get just past the Lion King Section. And another 240 meters to get to the furthest LM room, so double the distance of the furthest room out at POFQ.
What tool are you using to measure this? I'm using Google Maps distance measurement which, to my knowledge, is fairly accurate.

This is from the LM pool, which is in the center of the LM section at AOA, to the entrance at Animation Hall. This measurement worked out to be roughly 1290ft or 0.24 mile:

This is from the furthest point of building 7 at POFQ, cutting through the adjacent building up the middle of the resort to the food court. This measurement is roughly 1,025ft or 0.19 miles:

Its a difference of 0.05 of a mile, or roughly 250ft, which I'd estimate equates to a 3 minute difference? IMO, that is not significant (nor is it double). If you're in one of the front buildings of the LM, the distance will be slightly less. In the back buildings of LM, the distance will be slightly more. So for someone that is familiar with POFQ, this is pertinent information if they are hesitant about a LM room stay.

Last edited:
I took the furthest corner of building 7 at POFQ, which appears to face the parking lot. Not having as much familiarity with POFQ, the most direct walking path from the aerial image appeared to go along the river. But, re-doing it taking what is labeled as "Jazz Alley" on the map, which appears to go straight through the middle, its showing a distance of 1,064 ft which equates to about 0.20 of a mile. Just shy of a quarter of a mile. So its 0.05 of a mile closer than walking along the river. So, still no significant difference when comparing the Little Mermaid room distance to the food court at AOA.

I don't have the ability to post photos here, but if you look at Google Maps and measure the distance as if you were walking from the parking lot side corner of building 7, you still have to walk up the path to the river, hang a right onto that path, then hang your first right to cut back over to Jazz Alley. Then hang a left on Jazz Alley and its a straight shot to the food court, but still almost a 1/4 of a mile walk. You could probably save 90 seconds by walking through the hallways of the adjacent building, but again, not significant.

What tool are you using to measure this? I'm using Google Maps distance measurement which, to my knowledge, is fairly accurate. The distance from both POFQ building 7 and the LM pool to the food court at AOA are both just over 1,100 feet.
POFQ is 240 Metres from Foodcourt door, right at the corner door in the first building where the white circle below is, to the end of building 7. Add an extra 10 or 20 meters on if you want for a few steps to the foodcourt door or room behind. AofA image is about 500 metres from first foodcourt door to last room. 250 meters is the midway point where the second white circle is on the map. It's another 250 meters to the end from that point.

You can say that the distance from the foodcourt to the furthest out room at POFQ is almost the same distance as the closest LM room out if you want. But it's not the same distance. And if you have to walk to the furthest out room at AofA, it is twice the distance.
fullsizeoutput_273d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_273e.jpeg

Last edited:
Kimmar067, we don' t mind campy and tacky. We are staying at AOA for the first time in August with our family of 5 (3 DDs in their 20s). The big appeal is the suites with the 2nd bathroom, but we are all looking forward to the theming. We can stay at a resort similar to the deluxes elsewhere in the U.S. for half the price that Disney charges, but you can't stay in a Lion King or Nemo room anywhere else that I know of! We love the over the top decor!

POFQ is 240 Metres from Foodcourt door, right at the corner door in the first building where the white circle below is, to the end of building 7. Add an extra 10 or 20 meters on if you want for a few steps to the foodcourt door or room behind. AofA image is about 500 metres from first foodcourt door to last room. 250 meters is the midway point where the second white circle is on the map. It's another 250 meters to the end from that point.

You can say that the distance from the foodcourt to the furthest out room at POFQ is almost the same distance as the closest LM room out if you want. But it's not the same distance. And if you have to walk to the furthest out room at AofA, it is twice the distance.
View attachment 582266
View attachment 582288
As you can see from my images above, I'm calculating a 312 meter (POFQ) vs. 392 meter (LM AOA) difference. Yours goes to the back end of the furthest LM room, so that appears to be the difference. I did mine to the LM pool since that is central in the LM section and more representative, since half of people will be before the pool and half will be on the backside of it. Regardless, its still a negligible difference between the two, so this at least allows people to decide for themselves by comparison. Its better to rely on data than people's arbitrary descriptions of "long walk" or "short walk".

As you can see from my images above, I'm calculating a 312 meter (POFQ) vs. 392 meter (LM AOA) difference. Yours goes to the back end of the furthest LM room, so that appears to be the difference. I did mine to the LM pool since that is central in the LM section and more representative, since half of people will be before the pool and half will be on the backside of it. Regardless, its still a negligible difference between the two, so this at least allows people to decide for themselves by comparison. Its better to rely on data than people's arbitrary descriptions of "long walk" or "short walk".

I see where you’re getting the 312 metres from at POFQ. You’re walking around the food court building and entering the door on the opposite side. That’s an additional 70 metres. The food court door that you would use coming from building 7 is right beside building 4, just a few steps from the main path. It seems like that would be no big deal, but when we’re talking walking distance to a room, it adds up. I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s a 240 metre walk from the food court to the end of building 7.

Now, start at the AofA food court and see how far 240 metres takes you towards the LM rooms. You’re not going to get there.

Anyways, I feel like this is getting crazy between the 2 of us and we both believe we’re right. :crazy: But If you’re ever in DW in August, send me a message and we’ll grab a drink at the bar at either resort and time the walk together. :) :drinking1

As someone who's played around with it before when deciding on room requests, I'm loving the Google Maps measurement nerdery in this thread.

Our last stay was in a building 7 (Ursula) room at AoA. It wasn't unbearable, but it's about as far as I'd care to have to walk to my room. Avoiding building 8 (I would even go so far as going to the front desk upon check-in and politely asking if a room in another building was available if assigned a room in 8) and requesting a room on the southwest end of 7 or 9 will help as much as possible, but it's still gonna be a decent trek.

I see where you’re getting the 312 metres from at POFQ. You’re walking around the food court building and entering the door on the opposite side. That’s an additional 70 metres. The food court door that you would use coming from building 7 is right beside building 4, just a few steps from the main path. It seems like that would be no big deal, but when we’re talking walking distance to a room, it adds up. I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s a 240 metre walk from the food court to the end of building 7.
I didn't realize there was a side door, I was just going to the main path, so I follow what you're saying. I would still assert that its not a significant difference between the walks at POFQ and AOA, but I do acknowledge that its totally subjective and while it may not be long to me and some others, it may be to you and others. Everyone has different tolerances.

But If you’re ever in DW in August, send me a message and we’ll grab a drink at the bar at either resort and time the walk together. :) :drinking1
Count me in! :drinking:

Last edited:
We are just home from our trip. I do not have any facts or true measurements but having a room in building 8 is quite a walk to anywhere - busses, skyliner or the lobby. It added a lot more walking to the beginning and ending of the days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter