Are you sending your kids to school next month?

Our Governor announced as the kids were on winter break that the metrics are more of a guildline now and it’s up to the school districts to tackle education. The metrics were originally adjusted up to allow more cases to reopen schools in October. Yet majority of the school districts haven’t reopened due to the increase case count leaving just about every county in red. Hence the Governor’s recent change announcement.

Private schools and limited cohorts have been running since September. We’ve been on virtual remote learning since March. The school district does have a 60 page Covid plan I read over the summer for reopening. It seems good on paper, yet would be difficult to implement to the tee. Especially with this school year almost halfway over. We already told the kids grades 10th & 12th don’t expect to go back to school this school year.
If they do, at this point it’s gravy.

Our Governor announced as the kids were on winter break that the metrics are more of a guildline now and it’s up to the school districts to tackle education. The metrics were originally adjusted up to allow more cases to reopen schools in October. Yet majority of the school districts haven’t reopened due to the increase case count leaving just about every county in red. Hence the Governor’s recent change announcement.

Private schools and limited cohorts have been running since September. We’ve been on virtual remote learning since March. The school district does have a 60 page Covid plan I read over the summer for reopening. It seems good on paper, yet would be difficult to implement to the tee. Especially with this school year almost halfway over. We already told the kids grades 10th & 12th don’t expect to go back to school this school year.
If they do, at this point it’s gravy.

Public school teacher in a district that re-opened in August with cohorts limited to 20 students. 100% in-person but parents had a choice of 100% online. All staff and students were required to wear masks at all times. Most cohorts were actually around 10-15 students as many parents opted for the online choice.

We made it until October 30th and then we went to a two week remote reset, hoping that would work. While we in the middle schools had about 10 cases total for the 3 schools, the elementary schools and high schools had higher numbers. The community positivity rate was over 30%. During the 2 week reset the positivity rate climbed to 38%. When they had a voluntary testing site set up at a high school for district staff and students, 1 in 20 tested positive. They decided we would be remote until January 11.

Looking at the district's COVID dashboard right now we currently have 32 students and 4 staff members who are positive. Doesn't sound like a lot but there is at least 1 staff or student at each of the schools. (My school has zero cases). Funny thing is that the online school has 11 students with COVID, which is the most of any school.

We did everything we could and still had to close because of the spread in the high schools and elementary schools, lack of teachers to cover, and the community spread we had no choice. I hope it's better when we go back in January and the new version doesn't hit us!

The community positivity rate was over 30%. During the 2 week reset the positivity rate climbed to 38%. When they had a voluntary testing site set up at a high school for district staff and students, 1 in 20 tested positive. They decided we would be remote until January 11.
These numbers don't seem to add up. If the community positivity rate is 38%, it seems highly improbable that the schools' positivity rate would be 5%.

As of right now my sons' schools are still planning to go from fully online to hybrid on 1/11, I won't actually believe it until they are there.

These numbers don't seem to add up. If the community positivity rate is 38%, it seems highly improbable that the schools' positivity rate would be 5%.

As of right now my sons' schools are still planning to go from fully online to hybrid on 1/11, I won't actually believe it until they are there.

I thought that as well but the teachers do not live in the community. The testing was for students and staff only, no community members. The tri county health site is the one that divides the boundaries when they figure out the data. We are also wondering if they have the school district boundaries wrong.

Funny fact - my youngest niece is a first year teacher in a district in our county. Her district actually removed her school and two others from their district's COVID dashboard. They wanted to stay in person until Winter Break. They had to go remote the week before Thanksgiving so the trick didn't work.

Just here to vent, not debate. I hate this saying, but "it is what it is" - I am done discussing it;

I cannot believe I am bumping this thread to vent AGAIN about the school closures in CA. This is insane; my DD7 has been bumped back AGAIN to 2/1/21. Before you go and chide me for not thinking of the teachers and the "surge", this is after we got bumped back from 1/11/21 to free up the teachers' schedule so they could get the vaccine! That's right, they are delaying opening again and the teachers will be vaccinated. What's worse is this is private K-2 only, and they have set up all sorts of safety protocols and got a waiver to re-open. Don't get me started on the public schools - opening there is 3/1/21 MAYBE (probably not), and they are also getting the vaccine this month. What is the point of giving the teachers a fastpass in the vaccine line if they are not going back in the classroom?

Please, somebody from the +40 other states where schools are open - let me live vicariously - what's THAT like?

I'm in Ohio. My kids started back this week, on a limited schedule. The K-6 (which includes DS) goes Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday. Wednesdays are now work at home or student assist time if needed. DD is in the 7th-12th group. She goes 2 days a week and is home working on her own the other 3. I almost wish DD was still full virtual because it seems now the lessons are cut in half. She called me at work today because she had a math assignment on something that hasn't even been taught yet and she was trying to teach herself - and couldn't contact the teacher because the other half of students are in session today with the teacher, it's crazy. On the other hand, my niece is 10 minutes away but in another county and has been in school full time since August!

Just here to vent, not debate. I hate this saying, but "it is what it is" - I am done discussing it;

I cannot believe I am bumping this thread to vent AGAIN about the school closures in CA. This is insane; my DD7 has been bumped back AGAIN to 2/1/21. Before you go and chide me for not thinking of the teachers and the "surge", this is after we got bumped back from 1/11/21 to free up the teachers' schedule so they could get the vaccine! That's right, they are delaying opening again and the teachers will be vaccinated. What's worse is this is private K-2 only, and they have set up all sorts of safety protocols and got a waiver to re-open. Don't get me started on the public schools - opening there is 3/1/21 MAYBE (probably not), and they are also getting the vaccine this month. What is the point of giving the teachers a fastpass in the vaccine line if they are not going back in the classroom?

Please, somebody from the +40 other states where schools are open - let me live vicariously - what's THAT like?
Found out yesterday afternoon that 3 out of 5 schools in our district are going virtual until Tuesday due to cases. Found out last night that 1 of the other 2 is now going virtual as well. School has been hit or miss with notifying parents so it's pretty much word of mouth and scrambling parents. We've had a bunch of last minute virtual days since November and most schools are A/B days when in session. Students and parents seem to be struggling to keep up with who goes to school when. So it's annoying that you are out until 2/1 but at least they aren't playing the "lets see how long we can keep going" game.

they are also getting the vaccine this month. What is the point of giving the teachers a fastpass in the vaccine line if they are not going back in the classroom?
I suspect the delay between vaccinating teachers and re-opening classrooms may be because the vaccine is not immediately effective. It can take ~3 weeks after the 2nd dose; and with a 1st dose this month that second dose isn't happening until sometime in February.

But you wanted to know what's happening in other places... here the teachers are not being fast-tracked on the vaccination schedule; it is going strictly by age. Older teachers should receive their vaccine this winter/spring; younger teachers may not get one until after school ends for the year. Most schools are open at least hybrid, though some are finding problems getting subs and close for a couple of days or so. Knock on wood that hasn't been an issue in my town. K-6th is 4 days per week in-person, 7th-12th is 2 days in-person.

Our schools are still online. Teachers will not be required to get the vaccine and when schools do go back, students' temperatures will not be taken. I am hoping that schools stay closed for the rest of the year. I have two daughters who are teachers. If they go back, they will be wearing full PPE.

What's driving all the on again, off again? That just seems like poor planning, and yes, "disruptive" would be the word for that.

What is most distressing now is that we don't believe ANY date, from any school. We thought the waiver would do it, but no. We thought the vaccines would do it, but no. Crazy thing is, after all of this, it looks like the plan is to just socially promote everyone regardless of how much education has been lost. "Socially promote" - the one thing that has been lost the most is any sort of "social" anything. That is truly ironic.

I suspect the delay between vaccinating teachers and re-opening classrooms may be because the vaccine is not immediately effective. It can take ~3 weeks after the 2nd dose; and with a 1st dose this month that second dose isn't happening until sometime in February.

But you wanted to know what's happening in other places... here the teachers are not being fast-tracked on the vaccination schedule; it is going strictly by age. Older teachers should receive their vaccine this winter/spring; younger teachers may not get one until after school ends for the year. Most schools are open at least hybrid, though some are finding problems getting subs and close for a couple of days or so. Knock on wood that hasn't been an issue in my town. K-6th is 4 days per week in-person, 7th-12th is 2 days in-person.
That sounds like heaven - thanks! Which state?

It was OK until we ran out of teachers, then had to re-close the HS and middle schools for awhile to shift the ones we had left to the grade schools. The district isn't really "reporting" either. They toss up % of cases vs numbers then write up in our weekly letter on how great everything is. But if it's so great why did we run out of teachers and have to close so many schools?

I'm a teacher and we have been in session since the beginning of September. Parents can choose between virtual and face to face. It's split about 50-50 so half the teachers are teaching virtually from their classrooms and half have students in their room. Since week 2 there have been teachers, students, and whole classes quarantined on and off. Some for close contacts and some for positives. Face to face teachers are having to Zoom in virtual kids to their classes when the virtual teachers are sick and can't find subs and vice versa. Even with the rule that if you have had Covid in the last 90 days you do not have to quarantine we still have at least 9 teachers out per day and classes full of students. Parents were so angry about the elearning last year that there is no way we will ever fully shut down again. The big push now from face to face parents is to have a plan in place as to when masks when no longer be required.

That sounds like heaven - thanks! Which state?
Vermont. Since re-opening in Sept. there have been a total of just over 300 cases in the schools state-wide, with just 7 at the local high school. The rules are strict but people are following them. We've had a very cautious re-opening of everything (not just schools) across the state since summer, with a strong focus on keeping the schools open.

Just here to vent, not debate.

I don't blame you, that is upsetting.

Well, believe it or not, even though our cases are the worst in our state and county than they've ever been right now, we're back full time (for now). As long as it's not affecting staffing too badly and a certain percentage of students aren't at home quarantining (either due to being positive themselves or having close contacts testing positive), they want them in-person. Our school system is trying to appease everyone, it's got to be tough.

I think they tried hybrid at one HS and one ES in the district as test schools recently, but I haven't heard anything else about that, so maybe they decided it's either all or nothing, I don't know.

They've managed to mainly keep ES students in person the whole time. MS and HS has gone back and forth where they're in person for a few weeks, then remote for two weeks, etc. Sometimes only specific schools have had to go remote, sometimes it's been all secondary schools. My best guess is that we've been in person for more than 50-60% of the school year.

I teach in the largest district in KY. We have been virtual all year so far. In KY, teachers are being fast tracked for the vaccine and we should be getting it in the next 2 or 3 weeks with a plan that we will then go back to school sometime in March once the teachers have all gotten their 2nd dose. Other, smaller districts in KY have gone back - some full time and others with a hybrid schedule.

For everyone here that are saying that their school or district has had very few cases, are your schools all back in session full time with the full student population?

For everyone here that are saying that their school or district has had very few cases, are your schools all back in session full time with the full student population?

For my younger daughter's private school yes, full time 5 days with the full population. It's a small Catholic school though. For the older 2 at the public, no they are hybrid. About 13 kids in each group. I'll still take that over full virtual. They've been doing a really great job at our district.

Elementary school aged kids have mostly been in-person in my area though sometimes shifting to hybrid or remote (most often due to staffing). Middle and high schoolers for the most part remote or on a hybrid schedule.

One of the school districts starting Feb 6th is putting their 6th-12th graders into in-person full time. Presently they are remote (they went that way in mid-November) will start hybrid on Jan 20th and be full time Feb 6th. They are one of the first though for older kids in terms of full in-person as opposed to hybrid or remote.

Our local district gave parents the choice for elementary. All remote or all in person. About 80% opted to go in person. They have done so since August.

High school is divided into 2 groups that alternate in person with remote one week at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter