Are you picky about dog breeds.....

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
And why did you choose the dog you have/had? I'm a little dog person because that's all I've ever had in life. Though I love big dogs (I'm my neighbor 's Australian Shepherd's favorite person) I prefer to own small ones. I like lhasa apsos and mini poodles, or any mix of those breeds, though my last dog was a terrier dachshund mix who was a rescue. After he died in 2018, my mind was set on a poodle, or any small similar breed. It took 7 months, but a female Maltipoo puppy finally showed up at the humane society. Though she can be a prima donna, she's the smartest dog I've ever had. She was fully potty trained in a week. She was the very first female dog I've ever had, and is much more territorial than any of my male dogs ever were. I had a Lhasa apso in high school and loved his personality.

I've only had larger dogs so I'm biased for my preference for them. I have nothing against smaller dogs; they're cute but if I were to get a dog it will be a larger breed. My only exception would be a Corgi. As a kid I had a chocolate lab and a chocolate lab/Beagle mix. They were amazing dogs, though the lab/beagle mix loved to howl. I currently have a Bernese Mountain Dog and my family adopted my grandma's lab/Dalmatian mix since she could no longer take care of her. The BMD is the most loving, loyal dog breed I've ever owned. They also MUST be wherever you go at all times LOL. My BMD Sophie is not too smart but she is the most chill dog I've ever had.

Last edited:
I grew up with German Shepards so I'm partial to big dogs. I've had quite a few but I've been partial to black Labs the last 20 years, I've had 3 during that time. Each one was great with my kids and our cats, very laid back.
My grandparents had German Shepherds for as long as I can remember. They're so fiercely protective and loyal to their owners, females more than males. At least it was that way with the ones my grandparents had.

We only ever had golden retrievers or black labs. Best, smartest, most loyal dogs ever. Then my son bought a frenchie. He is a different breed. Won’t mind, does what he wants, but he is the sweetest, spunkiest, happiest little dog ever. I just adore him.

Our little girl Shih Tzu. Understands English perfectly and does whatever we ask! Never barks except at the doorbell and is just the sweetest. My husband LOVES her. My DD jokes that he would keep her and get rid of us 😂
I LOVE Shih Tzus. I even looked at Shih Tzu breeders after my terrier dachshund mix died because I was getting desperate. It took time but my ideal dog showed up at the humane society.

We only ever had golden retrievers or black labs. Best, smartest, most loyal dogs ever. Then my son bought a frenchie. He is a different breed. Won’t mind, does what he wants, but he is the sweetest, spunkiest, happiest little dog ever. I just adore him.
We are golden ppl too. Have had dachshunds & beagles too. But Goldens are the best!

I like big fluffy dogs. Breed isn't really important, our last three have been mutts (Norwegian elkhound mystery mix, Norwegian elkhound/border collie, Great Pyrenees/German shepherd).

I don't want any smushed faced breeds because it's just cruel to breed animals with those health issues on purpose. I don't want short smooth coats or poodle-type fur, give me a nice fluffy double coated dog.

Growing up we had all sizes but mostly medium to large. I prefer them since they can go for long walks or runs with me. Hubby was not a pet person. My son had (has) the cutest little yorkie/poo who is so sweet. After being around her for a while, Hubby finally said you can have a dog if you can find a small one. We have a little spoiled rotten yorkie. I'm talking so spoiled we bought a RV so we could travel, we did a few trips before with her in hotels and you really can't leave them alone in a room for longer than a half hour or so. She can't be boarded because she is very dependent on her people. She can't stand to be away from us and won't eat. Well, we don't actually leave her alone in the RV for any longer than a hour or two. We did camp at the Fort and hubby would do 3 or 4 hours in the parks in the morning but wouldn't leave her alone for longer than that. We have cameras set up in the RV and the first time we left her alone we found out she howls. We didn't even know she could howl. We have left her alone at home for a work day length every once in awhile but since we don't have cameras at the house we didn't know. Left her once with hubby's parents while we were camping in their yard. We just had to run to the store for them and they had two little dogs so someone she could play with. Hubby's Daddy told us she sat in his lap and howled for a good 5 min. after we left. So, she pretty much goes with us to any place they allow dogs - Lowe's, Home Depot are her favorites.

This is her in the RV while Daddy was away at work, waiting for him. 1656802740942.png

We only had big (chocolate lab) growing up. I now have a 30 lb pug/terrier mix and love this smaller size.

For me only thing that is a must is a rescue. Too many dogs need homes. But ideally it will be a smaller dog.
Ditto, except we had St. Bernards and Old English Sheepdogs. Our dogs keep getting smaller as we get older. Down to a cocker spaniel now.

I love other people's dogs - lots of neighbor pups I absolutely adore, but I have cats myself, and they're right for my lifestyle right now. (Sometimes I'm home all day, but some days I'm gone too long for a dog.) I like all the different breeds that friends and family have, but if I ever decided to adopt my own, I think it would be a corgi.

Last edited:
On the day my mom brought me home from the hospital after I was born, my daddy brought home a Samoyed puppy. I am 75 years old now and have had dogs my entire life. I've had big ones, medium ones, and toy ones. Right now I have four toy breeds. I love them all.

I’ve had dogs all my life. They bring me so much joy that I can’t imagine life without one. Our first dog as a married couple was a rescue Australian shepherd mix. She was so smart and loyal and we loved her so much that when it came time for another dog we got a mini Australian shepherd. She is the silliest, snuggliest dog and we just adore her with her constant smiles. Like someone mentioned earlier, I love the soft double coat. I think I’ll continue to want Aussies or Aussie mixes but I do really like corgis as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter