Are we the only ones not at all impressed with the food at WDW?

Last edited by jw50 : Yesterday at 11:01 PM. Reason: Not picking on you Gina, there are alot of others that post the same complaints that you did :)

Not to worry....I have thicker skin than that!

I have no problem with making advance reservations so that argument is futile with me. I'm a planner and don't live locally.

Here's the dilemma as I see it. WDW food has changed. The DDP has changed. Will the DDP continue to have the overwhelmingly positive response that it has had in the last 3 years? If so, no problems on WDW's part. If not, where do they go from here?

For the OOP dining guest, WDW prices are no longer in line with the quality and value received. They've always been more expensive than many restaurants in many parts of the country (I live in the NY metro area and truthfully, it's still more expensive here) but the menus were creative and imaginative and the food well prepared. People talk about how much value the DDP delivers verses OOP prices. But no one talks about the lack of value OOP diners are currently receiving for their money. And depending on who you talk to, DDP patrons make up anywhere from 20-50% of the patrons. What if they no longer feel that the price is worth the cost? And what happens if the OOP patron similarly reaches the same conclusion?

We went last September and then just got back yesterday. We have had a total of 11 table service meals between the 2 trips. We chose the most popular places:

Whispering Canyon Cafe
Mama Melrose
Le Cellier (lunch one trip, dinner the next)
Chef Mickey (breakfast one trip, dinner the next)
Princess breakfast at Epcot
Boma breakfast
O'hana breakfast
Sci-Fi lunch
Tonys Town Square dinner

I cannot say that 1 meal we had was really great. This trip we thought Le Cellier was good, not great. If it was a local restaurant I can't say we'd go back, we have much better local steakhouses near home. Tonys Town Square and Mama Melrose were just downright awful! We did not care for WCC at all, the food was all dry and a bit overdone. O'hana breakfast was ok, nothing special. Chef Mickey breakfast last year was way better than the dinner this year. We all wound up eating more off the kids section and filling up on desserts, just couldn't find anything in the adult area that had any taste. Sci Fi was ok as far as greasy fast food goes. I do realize that we shouldn't expect much out of character meals food-wise, and we go mainly for the kids to have the experience of the characters. But the way people rave about the restaurants and how they can't wait to go for all this great food has me wondering what we're doing wrong.

So I'm wondering, does anyone else think the food just isn't that great? Or are we the only ones? Because of now having 2 experiences with free dining and not being at all impressed we're thinking we may just go in December next trip and enjoy nicer weather than icky food.

I also live right outside of Manhattan and can be underwhelmed with the food at Disney World. We go in without high expectations- and we always have a great time. But when it comes to character dining, or regular TS like WCC, Sci Fi etc I really think they need to be judged on the same level as say, TGI Fridays, or Applebees. I did enjoy Le Cellier but I would agree I could definitely find a better steak at say, Peter Luggers. My suggestion for your next trip would be to avoid the character dining, try a few of the signature restaurants (which we've always loved).

[

For the OOP dining guest, WDW prices are no longer in line with the quality and value received. They've always been more expensive than many restaurants in many parts of the country (I live in the NY metro area and truthfully, it's still more expensive here) but the menus were creative and imaginative and the food well prepared. People talk about how much value the DDP delivers verses OOP prices. But no one talks about the lack of value OOP diners are currently receiving for their money. And depending on who you talk to, DDP patrons make up anywhere from 20-50% of the patrons. What if they no longer feel that the price is worth the cost? And what happens if the OOP patron similarly reaches the same conclusion?

I definitely agree with this. A lot of the food is the same quality as Applebee's, but the price is so much higher. I don't expect a lot when I go to Applebee's, but I also know I won't be paying a lot. I know theme park restaurants are always going to inflate their prices, but it has gotten to the point that the prices are just too high for what is often mediocre food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter