Are the U.S. parks locked out of bringing TDS attractions over here?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
Just a quick question for everyone - does anyone know if there is some sort of contractual "lockout" whereby any of the disney sea attractions cannot be placed in any other parks for a certain period of time? My thought here was given the "cost cutting" mentality, wouldn't it be cheaper to bring some of those attractions over here instead of coming up with totally new ideas? I know that's not what we want, but if the choice is stormrider vs. another modified off the shelf ride, I think I know what my choice would be. The other issue I thought of is given the fact that so few americans go to japan for the parks, it would not be like the japanese parks would be losing that much business. (and besides, it does not appear that the issue is much of a concern now anyway once you look at how DCA is becoming MGM west!)

Originally posted by TigerLaw
My thought here was given the "cost cutting" mentality, wouldn't it be cheaper to bring some of those attractions over here instead of coming up with totally new ideas?
Unfortunately, there appear to be folks in executive management who feel it would even cheaper not to bring the attractions over here, nor to come up with totally new ones.

I don't think there are any contractual restrictions forcing TDS attractions to be exclusive to TDS.

I do see one objection to bringing TDS rides over here. WDW is hurting because of a lack of international visitors. The Japanese are world travelers and are the earliest adopters of new technology. Not that I would expect Disney to think this far ahead but recycling TDS rides in WDW would be a good way to shoot themselves in the foot. Why go to Florida when you can just go to Tokyo...personally I think the Japanese are already saying that.

They could bring them to Disneyland with no problems since DL is a regional themepark. And...I suspect that would resolve DL/DCA's problems quite nicely...but might still harm WDW a bit because some US travelers would go to Anaheim instead of Orlando.

WDW needs to have the best of something you can't get in any other park Everybody else has been racing to get a piece of the Disney pie...and the Disney management team hasn't seemed to realize it was in a race.

I'm pretty sure "Jumping Jellyfish" was originally designed for Tokyo DS, and then added to DCA as well.

Believe it not, the Jumpin' Jellyfish were part of the EPCOT amusement park, plans for which date back to at least 1967.

Originally posted by wdwguide
Believe it not, the Jumpin' Jellyfish were part of the EPCOT amusement park, plans for which date back to at least 1967.

EPCOT was still going to be a city back in '67.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter