Are the "there's nothing left at Hollywood Studios" threads maddening to anyone else?

There have been so many since GMR closed and I'm having a hard time keeping myself calm over here lol.
ONE attraction closed last month not 10 yet all the sudden everyone thinks there is nothing there?
I guess I should be happy that apparently there's nothing to do so no one will go so there will be shorter lines and then when Star Wars and Toy Story lands open everyone will just go to those and not the other attractions that I want to enjoy but it still just gets my goat lol.

I dont think there is any right or wrong on this topic. I guess it just comes down to everybody is entitled to their opinion, ya know? I mean your post is the same, just the opposite side of it. The truth is, when you make FPs for that day, there really is not much to choose from. A lot has closed. There are still attractions open and a few shows left, but people who have been going for years or who are comparing it to a few years ago can definitely see a big difference. I have not been for a few years and when I started planning for my trip next month, I was disappointed at how little there is to fill up a day compared to my last visit.

Yes but those closures were not this summer yet that is when the threads started.
There never has been many rides there.
Backlot Tour was the only other ride closed and that was years ago now.

I pursued the board for a while before I signed up. Those posts definitely existed long before this summer. Perhaps this summer is when it became an annoyance to you and you noticed them more??

I recall seeing some of the same comments right after the closure of the stunt show and the backlot tour.

If you are a ride lover, DAK and Hollywood Studios are probably skippable, use the time for Universal instead. For those, especially Hollywood Studios, they have 4 rides (only one with no height requirement) and several really old shows, it's a tragedy they ask full price for it now.

If the rides don't matter as much, it's not as bad of a deal. That's really it.

I would find it really odd if there were not so many threads about it. It's the latest step in a major gutting of the park and the quality of the few replacement attractions so far has been mixed. It's a slow burn that deserves criticism. I can't believe they still charge full price for that park.
I agree. This isn't even the same ballpark as Universal or MK.

The Hollywood Studios threads are a bit much when the come about once a week. Maybe we should have a sticky so people can kevtch about DHS and keep it contained to one thread. It is the same as the constant threads complaining about Disney Springs.

I would prefer that to LuLaRoe posts in the Theme Park forum, which has absolutely nothing to do with vacationing. :thumbsup2::yes:::rolleyes::duck::upsidedow

Even though I consider DHS a half day park, we skipped it during our last trip and didn't really miss it. We like Star Tours and TSMM and ToT but we are tired of the ancient shows. However Epcot's Future World is even worse IMO. Without World Showcase that park would be much duller than DHS.

If you are a ride lover, DAK and Hollywood Studios are probably skippable, use the time for Universal instead. For those, especially Hollywood Studios, they have 4 rides (only one with no height requirement) and several really old shows, it's a tragedy they ask full price for it now.

If the rides don't matter as much, it's not as bad of a deal. That's really it.

AK has Everest which I like as well as Kali River ( just make sure you bring a towel and change of clothes :-) ). Both have strong re-rideability IMHO. Everything other than MK is a half-day or less park for me, but I'd still do AK even if only for Everest and Kali.

Even though I consider DHS a half day park, we skipped it during our last trip and didn't really miss it. We like Star Tours and TSMM and ToT but we are tired of the ancient shows. However Epcot's Future World is even worse IMO. Without World Showcase that park would be much duller than DHS.

Epcot has FEA (apparently open even before the showcase opens), Soarin', and Test Track. FEA is amazing despite the fact is could be smoothed out considerably. What would be awesome is if they could somehow merge Epcot and MGM. Together, they'd make a great park, but with the resorts in between, it would be one really long walk from one end to the other. Not much use to me as a passholder, but a Epcot/MGM combo ticket for close to the same price as say a MK One Park ticket might relieve some of the complaints for guests without PH.

Going with a toddler it impacts us because I feel like it has turned into a half day park for us. It was always harder with toddlers imo, but we could watch the stunt show together, or ride GMR together - now TSMM and the frozen singalong is really the only thing I see us all doing together. I plan on hopping to MK with the toddler on our DHS day but my thrill seekers and Star Wars fans are happy to stay behind and finish the day there.

I see both sides of the argument.

We were there last week and spent a whole day (open to close!) here and didn't see everything.

We did:
- Line up for Jedi
- TOT (with fastpass, but one side went down so took forever)
- Lunch at Prime Time 50s Cafe (took 1.5 hours or so)
- Meet Olaf
- Muppets Show
- Toy Story Mania (with fastpass)
- Jedi Training show
- Little Mermaid Show
- Meet Chewbacca and BB8
- Beauty and the Beast Show
- Star Tours (with Fastpass) then again right after without cause only a 10 min wait.
- Toy Story again with special use on anything fastpasses a CM gave us for the kids being cute!
- Dinner at ABC Commisionary
- TOT
- Fantasmic

If we had had more time, we would have liked to have seen Indiana Jones and/or Frozen shows. We also didn't see Disney Jr or RNR.

Now, if my kids were too old to do the Jedi, or we hadn't done such a long lunch, we easily could have done everything at this park.

So, I would argue that there is still a TON to do at HS. However, we remember the days of backlot stunt tour, drawing classes, great movie ride, honey I shrunk the kids playground, more food choices, etc. A lot of great attractions are closed, and while they may have been replaced by more shows, or more meet and greets, it isn't the same park it used to be. That being said, once Toy Story land and Star wars open it will be different.

I see both sides of the argument.

We were there last week and spent a whole day (open to close!) here and didn't see everything.

We did:
- Line up for Jedi
- TOT (with fastpass, but one side went down so took forever)
- Lunch at Prime Time 50s Cafe (took 1.5 hours or so)
- Meet Olaf
- Muppets Show
- Toy Story Mania (with fastpass)
- Jedi Training show
- Little Mermaid Show
- Meet Chewbacca and BB8
- Beauty and the Beast Show
- Star Tours (with Fastpass) then again right after without cause only a 10 min wait.
- Toy Story again with special use on anything fastpasses a CM gave us for the kids being cute!
- Dinner at ABC Commisionary
- TOT
- Fantasmic

If we had had more time, we would have liked to have seen Indiana Jones and/or Frozen shows. We also didn't see Disney Jr or RNR.

Now, if my kids were too old to do the Jedi, or we hadn't done such a long lunch, we easily could have done everything at this park.

So, I would argue that there is still a TON to do at HS. However, we remember the days of backlot stunt tour, drawing classes, great movie ride, honey I shrunk the kids playground, more food choices, etc. A lot of great attractions are closed, and while they may have been replaced by more shows, or more meet and greets, it isn't the same park it used to be. That being said, once Toy Story land and Star wars open it will be different.
And to offer a counterbalance:

Just taking items from your list:

- ToT
- Lunch at Prime Time 50s Cafe
- Muppets Show
- Toy Story Mania
- Star Tours
- Fantasmic (still didn't get to see it with weather)

Now add in
-RnRC
-We did do FEA Sing-A-Long (on a whim but not something we have to do)
-Indy show

We did dinner another day at Mama Melrose-only reason is because of how were were touring with park hopping.

Also re-rides to me are totally different. A lot depends on the individuals (like how long they are willing to wait in lines) and when they go (for wait times as well as park hours) so to me to really compare just the number of things people would want to do vs how much they got done in a day. Just my personal opinion though. It would be exhausting for me to tell you how many times I got in rerides this past trip (hurricane combined with time of year=virtually no wait) but it would only show how much I squeezed into the time spent at the park versus how many different things I experienced as that is the topic (what is left to do at DHS threads).

I was hesitant about going to HS with my 7-yr old towards the beginning of the year...I didn't think there would be enough to keep him occupied for the whole day. It ended up being his favourite park. We had a 4 day ticket and he almost decided to go back a second day instead of going to Animal Kingdom. He LOVED the StarWars stuff and he's not a fan of big rides, (nor am I), so he didn't miss them nor did we have to wait in long lines. We splurged on the character breakfast to make sure he could get a spot in Jedi Training Academy and spent the larger part of the day meeting Kylo Ren multiple times and trading excessively with Jawas. We even went back to the resort at dinner time and he still wanted to go back to the park for the last couple of hours before closing.

Last edited:
Yes!

We were just in DHS Sunday, and really could have done 2 days there. We really enjoy DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter