Are the Illuminations Cruises Handicap Accessable?

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
Has anyone ever done Illuminations Cruise in a manual Wheelchair?
:cool:

<font color=navy>1st WDW trip OKW-Oct. 2001
cindglobe_10536.gif

I don't know the answer, so I am bumping this up. From what I know about the Illuminations Cruises, they are pontoon boats. We have used the pontoon boats that go between OKW and DD and PO and DD. We also rent a pontoon boat at OKW to drive around. If you are able to get out of the wheelchair, it is fairly easy to have someone help you on a pontoon and then lift the wheelchair on. If you need to stay in the wheelchair, they need to tie the boat up really well and then push the wheelchair on.
At times, the water level is low and the docks are too high compared to the boat to get a wheelchair on. That seems to be more of a problem at MK than on the waterways by Epcot, DD, OKW, PO.–

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

They sure are. I use an electric wheelchair for long distances and was planning on transfering out of it for the Illumination Cruise. When I got there, I asked about where to park it and leave it and Captain Tammy said there was no need for that. She had everyone else with us get on the boat and stand to one side to make the boat entrance level with the dock. She made sure that it was secured very well before doing this, btw. She told me to drive on when I saw it level. No problems at all and it made the cruise much more comfortable for me. She mentioned, though, that the water level determines if the w/c load is possible, so it might not be the same next time. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-DramaTech :D

I've always wondered anout doing Illuminations...I'm sure the thought has crossed other' minds too than k you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter