Are my boys right about Star Wars?

Cool-Beans

<marquee behavior=alternate><font color=deeppink>F
I want to watch the first Star Wars movie. The first one that I saw as a kid - came out in the 70s (76? 77?). I can't figure it out. The first Star Wars does not appear to BE the first Star Wars. It is some other Star Wars that I don't wish to see.

The boys say they all got moved around as they made new ones and the first one isn't really the first one. They say if I want to watch the FIRST Star Wars movie that I should get the third one.

Very confuzzled.

Is it possible that they're right and Star Wars III is really Star Wars I???? :faint:

Actually, if you want to watch the "original" Star Wars you want to see Episode IV, the fourth one in the series.

I want to watch the first Star Wars movie. The first one that I saw as a kid - came out in the 70s (76? 77?). I can't figure it out. The first Star Wars does not appear to BE the first Star Wars. It is some other Star Wars that I don't wish to see.

The boys say they all got moved around as they made new ones and the first one isn't really the first one. They say if I want to watch the FIRST Star Wars movie that I should get the third one.

Very confuzzled.

Is it possible that they're right and Star Wars III is really Star Wars I???? :faint:

Star Wars -- the one that came out in the 70's, is actually Episode lV.

Lucas made episodes 4-6 first and then went back to make episodes 1-3. I am nearly positive I read around the time Empire was out that there were supposed to be 9 movies total. But the last three got scrapped.

To watch the Star Wars you saw in the 70's (came out in '77), you want to watch Episode IV: A New Hope.

That being said.
There are two sets of tilogys.
The "first" is the original with Episodes IV, V, and VI (from the 70's and 80's).
The "second" is the newer Episodes (I, II, and III) and take place before the "first" three.

Depending on how you want to watch, you can watch them in creation order: IV, V, VI, I, II, III
Or in chronological order (according to the Star Wars universe) I, II, III, IV, V, IV.

Hope that helps!!
:yoda: :ewok: :chewy: :darth:

Okay...totally about to geek out....

The "first" Star Wars...made in the 70's - is called Star Wars: Episode 4, A New Hope. Then they made The Empire Strikes Back (Episode 5) and Return of the Jedi (Episode 6).

Okay, so then in the late 90's, early 2000's, George Lucas made the 3 "prequel" movies. Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace, Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones, and Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith.

Does that make sense? Oh, and I had to ask my DH the answers to what these movies were named. I am not really that into Star Wars.

Actually there have been 6 made....the three that were made approx...between 1977 and 1983 were chapters 4, 5, and 6......then the actual first movie that came out in 1977 aka chapter 4 is the one you want to see.....chapters 1, 2, and 3 are the most recent ones which were done after chapter 6 however chapters 1, 2, and 3 are prequels to 4, 5, and 6 and set the storyline for chapter 4....HTH

The first 3:Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are Episodes 4,5,6 in the Star Wars Saga. They are in order of the story for the middle portion of the trilogy.

The 3 made in the last decade were Episodes 1,2,3. This was the first section of the trilogy.

The last of the trilogy (final 3 episodes in the story) have yet to be made into movies.

The orginal Star Wars:A New hope was the first in the triology. The second is Empire strikes back, third Return of the Jedi.

The newer triology Star Wars 1-3 give the background to how the orginal starts. I hope this helps. IMO, I like the orginal best.

I'm not the OP, but after reading this, it just doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort anymore. lol

Okay...totally about to geek out....

The "first" Star Wars...made in the 70's - is called Star Wars: Episode 4, A New Hope. Then they made The Empire Strikes Back (Episode 5) and Return of the Jedi (Episode 6).

Okay, so then in the late 90's, early 2000's, George Lucas made the 3 "prequel" movies. Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace, Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones, and Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith.

Does that make sense? Oh, and I had to ask my DH the answers to what these movies were named. I am not really that into Star Wars.

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC:

only 46 more days! Holy cow that was quick! I hope you and the family are all doing well and I can't wait to see pictures of the new Brady fan! :hug:

Okay, #1 is IV, #4 is I, etc. Got it now. Maybe they can call #8 XII. But that would be silly, of course. ;)

What sort of hell they were trying to put me through by calling the first one #4 I'm sure I don't know.

But I thank you all for letting me know!!! :)

Actually "Star Wars" (the one made in 1977) is 4th in the series with "The Empire Strikes Back" being V and "Return of the Jedi" being VI. The first 3 would be

Star Wars:Episode I-The Phantom Menace (1999)
Star Wars:Episode II-Attack of the Clones (2002)
Star Wars:Episode III-Revenge of the Sith (2005)

and then

Star Wars:Episode IV-A New Hope (1977)
Star Wars:Episode V-The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Star Wars:Episode VI-Return of the Jedi (1983)

Ultimately, Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker. Episodes IV - VI (which were released first) show him as a bad guy... Episodes I - III show how he started out and what turned him to the Dark Side.

The first movie was released in 1977. At the time, that was just Star Wars. It is now referred to as Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Then in 1980 we had The Empire Strikes Back... then finally in 1983 the trilogy ended with Return of the Jedi.

After a very long drought, the prequel trilogy was released:

Phantom Menace is considered the begininning of the saga, Episode I. But it is the fourth movie to be released (1999). Attack of the Clones is Episode II (2002) and the entire story ends with Revenge of the Sith -- Episode III (2005).

If the movie you're looking for shows shows Princess Leia hiding a hologram message in R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker meeting Obi-Wan Kenobi for the first time, what you want is Episode IV - A New Hope. If you're looking for the movie that starts out on an icy planet, you want Episode V -- Empire Strikes Back. And if you're looking for the scenes with Princess Leia in her famous bikini shackled to Jabba the Hutt, you want Episode VI -- Return of the Jedi.

I could go on for years... :) I drive my coworkers absolutely crazy.

AND... if you want the full-length animated cartoon about the Clone Wars, you have to wait another 27+ days for that.... it's being released on August 15th. I have the day off :cool1:

And the focus for all the movies once George came out with the prequels was shifted from Luke to Anakin.

If you see an early printing of the novelization to A New Hope (Episode IV), it has "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker" on the cover. They were originally going to be focused on Luke during the whole trilogy. Then later came the shift to focus on Anakin instead and showing *his* rise and fall and later rise again during the 6 movies.

And if that's not enough for you, there are MANY "expanded universe" books out there that cover everything from the story of Darth Maul to the marriage of Han and Leia to the antics of their children.

Aren't ya glad you asked?

This is my absolute FAVORITE topic to talk about :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter