Are Magic Bands worth it anymore?

Artemis Fowl

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
My last Disney trip included basic plain colored Magic Bands. With Genie+ taking over the parks, and room access available on my phone, will Magicbands become obsolete? Or at least unecessary?

Our next trip is in June and I'm waiting to see if MagicBand+will be out and what the cost is but I'm also wondering if it's worth it to even pay $10/person for the basic ones?
We're traveling with extended family on this trip who won't be back to disney for 3-5 years. Should they buy them?

My family of four will likely get some becuase our trips will be annually at least.

I guess it boils down to are Magic Bands worth even $10 as a one-tri[ use proposition?

My experience in the parks recently is that people using their phones to scan multiple people into the LL's take forever and slow the lines down considerably. This was a really stupid decision on Disney's part. I think the magic bands, or failing that, at least the ticket cards, are definitely still worth it so you're not fumbling on your phone at the entrance to every ride.

I don't think they were ever necessary just an added convenience.

I think a lot of if it is "worth it" is in the perception of the person using it and there are many factors. Are they comfortable with technology and have NFC devices that will allow them to do things with their phone or is having a tap and go option better for them? Does that tap and go option need to be on their wrist or will they carry a wallet and don't mind taking a card in and out? I had a friend ask me about getting a magic band for their 5 year old for an upcoming trip which I recommended. They are too young for a smart phone and if they do get lost the magic band is there for cast members to scan and track down the parents.

Even for me personally, since I don't have an smart watch I'd probably prefer a magic band to my phone since I won't have to worry about it dying. I'm willing to reuse old bands or pay a price for the convenience. If I was a large family looking for ways to to save or traveling less or on shorter stays I might consider an extra mickey bar rather then a band.

I still love having my magic band and our family uses them for everything- room entry, payment in parks- as they are linked to a CC, LL entry and most importantly at the pool or water park. I love that I can use it for pool entry and wear it into the pool and swim with it as well as purchase my food and beverage with it while there. I find that it is so much easier and I can save my phone battery for other things- like mobile order, searching for LL's etc. In my opinion, they are still worth it! And we are still able to use ours from past trips.

My experience in the parks recently is that people using their phones to scan multiple people into the LL's take forever and slow the lines down considerably. This was a really stupid decision on Disney's part. I think the magic bands, or failing that, at least the ticket cards, are definitely still worth it so you're not fumbling on your phone at the entrance to every ride.
Are the ticket cards still provided?

I still love having my magic band and our family uses them for everything- room entry, payment in parks- as they are linked to a CC, LL entry and most importantly at the pool or water park. I love that I can use it for pool entry and wear it into the pool and swim with it as well as purchase my food and beverage with it while there. I find that it is so much easier and I can save my phone battery for other things- like mobile order, searching for LL's etc. In my opinion, they are still worth it! And we are still able to use ours from past trips.
I plan to buy them for my 4, but we're traveling with 12. I certainly don't this it's worth it to me to pay for their magic bands, since I think they'll be one-time use.

$5 each is way less than buying a phone for each of the 5 grand kids. And you know they will drop or lose at least 2 phones on the trip. Thanks Disney for just adding one more cost, oh and bye bye Disney the last 2 contracts are going on sale after this next trip.

I still use my old ones, I have one of the original ones that they were only giving out to select resorts and it still works fine. I also have some of the newer puck ones. I just like having it on my wrist and tap and go and not having to fumble for a ticket (I have an AP so I do have a card) or pull something up on my phone that may or may not work. I will admit, my last trip in Dec. I was staying at CSR and ran out for breakfast on my last day and just forgot to put my MB on but did have my phone with me. I used the mobile entry on my phone and it worked fine to get into my room. I don't charge to my MB, I usually buy a gift card and use it for things like booths at the festivals and purchases less than $10, the rest I just put on my credit card which I always have with me. We took my son's SO in Sept. and she didn't have a MB, just used her ticket to get into the park and they bought a wrist gift card and used it for everything else. It was a little pain because she would have to dig her wallet out of the back pack for entry into the park but they just didn't want to buy a MB. If I could have de-activated one of mine and assigned it to her we would have done that except I have to take the gray thing off mine because I have small wrists and hers are bit bigger than mine.

I plan to buy them for my 4, but we're traveling with 12. I certainly don't this it's worth it to me to pay for their magic bands, since I think they'll be one-time use.
I totally understand that and in my opinion they would be worth a one time use- but I am sure others feel differently. I hope you have an wonderful trip!

We are the people that buy all the special ones. I think we came home with 6 or 7 new ones and we buy them on ShopDisney all the time. We each went with 4 apiece and swapped them around each day, depending on the park. It's great to have them and use them for everything. When we went to Universal after our stay at Disney, it was a pain to have to keep getting out our cards (we moved them to lanyards) but the magic bands are more fun.

I honestly consider them a collector's item to comemorate trips more than for convenience. We do use them rides and hotel room. We also splurge and get the decorative ones.

Yeah its more of a souvenir fun accessory at this point. I still love them. I feel like I'm properly at Disney with my MB on. And we do use it for pretty much everything it's made for. Its shines best at the Pool and pool concessions areas.

Id say , I am gonna miss having one at DL this summer,
I hate using a cell , then worrying about my battery all day.

The one trip I took without it I felt so naked! I hated having to use my phone/watch bc even getting into my mobile wallet was more steps than just tapping my wrist. And not having it at Disneyland was so bizarre. So I will use my MB until they pry it off my wrist.

That said if the people you’re traveling with have never used one then they won’t know what they’re missing and will be just fine using smartphones. Bring that external charger though!!

I took a few of mine in Dec. some of the original free ones & some of the last free ones & used whichever matched what I was wearing. Ironically my MB always opened the villa door whereas w/ the phone folks it was an issue which the resort solved by giving them old fashioned key cards.
Wearing a MB on my wrist was so much easier for me than fumbling for a phone @ park & LL entry. I was using a Chase Reward card for meals & showing my blue card for discounts.
I hate fiddling w/ my phone to do things, but I’m so old I have yet to master texting while I walk so I doubt WDW cares about my preferences, & my DS is tech savvy so he did the grabbing LL things last trip.

We love them. Definitely beats fumbling to pull out your phone when you get back to your room and your hands are full. I'm also amazed how many people don't have their genie or whatever on their phone ready to go before they have to be scanned. It seems to be causing some waits. They're small, but I feel magic bands appeared to be a smoother process.

We will always use magic bands. Tapping in from your wrist and not needing to dig out your phone or card out is the most convenient option and it guarantees that everyone can get into the park, the hotel room, the LL without needing another person. I agree with PP's that it definitely gives me "Disney" vibes whenever I have it on. It's like I'm finally there and it's part of my ensemble for the whole week. Even more fun is to change out my MB based on which park I'm visiting.

FWIW, from pure observation I have noticed that those with MB's seem to get through the park entry tapstiles and the LL tap points so much faster. Many guests don't know how to use their phone properly when tapping in (not holding it close enough, for example) or forget that their ticket media is on them, which means they are fishing it out, unlocking it, opening the app, which causes some delays. It's not earth shattering, but when you're used to lines moving continuously at park entry or the LL's it can get awkward to watch people struggle to get in and hold up a line. I'm always super aware of those things (I don't like holding up anyone behind me) so that just might be a weird tick I have.

Also noticing that often times one person in very large parties will have everyone's magic mobile on their phone -- that definitely seems more time consuming when tapping in. In fact we got stuck behind one family that was so large and they forgot who they tapped in and I could see the CM's getting frustrated. Personally, I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's ticket while I'm there, so MB's just seem like the easiest (and most fashionable) option!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter