Are DVC members considered FL residents?

mdphilps

Earning My Ears
Are DVC members considered FL residents? Since we technically own FL real estate, aren't we considered FL residents?

Are we allowed to get the FL resident discount ticket prices?

Nope! You specifically can NOT use your DVC ownership for Florida residency. It's in the fine print somewhere.

Most states require you to live in the state at least 6 months out of the year to be considered a resident. Besides, if you were considered a resident, you'd probably have to pay taxes.

As noted, we do NOT qualify for the Florida resident's pass discounts, but our DVC annual pass discount is better than the Florida resident's one anyway.

Residency and property ownership are two different things.

From a residency perspective, staying a week at DVC resort where you own a deeded real estate interest and using your credit card to stay a week at a Disney Value Resort are the same thing. Neither is considered residency.

In your home state, is doesn't matter if you own a house or you live an apartment, you're a resident. It's where you vote, pay taxes, and have your drivers license.

That said, Disney could define eligibility for their Florida Resident discounts and benefits any way they want. They could include DVC, but they don't.

Disney would rather offer a separate set of "perks" to DCV members. That way, Disney can encourage us to buy annual passports by offering a DVC discount, without giving us access to last-minute Florida Resident rates for unsold staterooms on DCL.

As noted, we do NOT qualify for the Florida resident's pass discounts, but our DVC annual pass discount is better than the Florida resident's one anyway.

Since the last price increase the FL Resident AP is now $20 less than the DVC Member AP.

FL Resident Adult AP: $369 plus tax
DVC Member Adult AP: $389 plus tax

I read somewhere that participation in next year's "Give a Day, Get a Day" promo, which is generally only open to residents of the US and Canada, is also open to owners of DVC. So, owning DVC does give some residency rights! -- Suzanne

I read somewhere that participation in next year's "Give a Day, Get a Day" promo, which is generally only open to residents of the US and Canada, is also open to owners of DVC. So, owning DVC does give some residency rights! -- Suzanne

Here's all I could find on the official website:

What if I have a vacation home in Florida, but live in the United Kingdom? Can I still participate?

Yes, you may participate in the program by completing service for an eligible volunteer opportunity in the United States, Puerto Rico or Canada. However, you must sign up for an eligible volunteer opportunity through this site and only individuals with a residence in the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada can sign up on this site.​

I haven't seen anything official about whether a timeshare, including DVC, counts as "a residence in the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada."

In any case, even if DVC counts as "a residence in the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada," a UK resident could not get a free ticket by performing the volunteer effort in the UK before traveling to Florida.

As I noted before, Disney can make whatever rules they want regarding who gets resident discounts and benefits. For regular Florida Resident benefits, they could change "Florida Residents" to "Florida Residents and DVC Members." But they have not chosen to do so.

Besides, if you were considered a resident, you'd probably have to pay taxes.
Many Michiganders, when they reach retirement age, spend six months plus one day in Florida---FL has no income tax.

Most states require you to live in the state at least 6 months out of the year to be considered a resident. Besides, if you were considered a resident, you'd probably have to pay taxes.
This is not really a residency issue but a "what are Disney's rules for discounts issue". They could chose to give the same discounts and perks to DVC members that they extend to FL residents but they choose not to. One can qualify for the discounts without being a florida resident if certain criteria are met.

Are DVC members considered FL residents? Since we technically own FL real estate, aren't we considered FL residents?

Are we allowed to get the FL resident discount ticket prices?

Ownership of a limited interest timeshare is not conclusive evidence to establish Florida residency.

Best forms of proof include Florida voter registration; FL driver's license or identification card; FL automobile registration; FL bank accounts; FL primary home ownership with homestead exemption; Filing of tax returns indicating Florida primary residence (Florida has no state income tax but other returns could be considered); and military Home of Record or leave and earnings statement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter