Are Disney resorts currently worth the large price tag?

Simba06

Mouseketeer
Looking for honest, recently been there opinions:
We have a long 10-12 day trip booked for over Thanksgiving. This trip is to serve as a celebration for our 10 year wedding anniversary that we couldn’t celebrate last year due to covid and my husband being laid off. We will have our 6yo (who has been often) and our 1yo who obviously has never been. When I initially started planning this trip last year during covid, it provided a much needed bright spot in an otherwise stressful, uncertain time.

Now that the trip is inching closer, I an starting to doubt whether the large cost of the trip is worth it. We are booked in a split stay between Poly and Wilderness Lodge, initially hoping for club level, and realizing that’s not going to happen. I fear no/minimal discounts will be available. And with the still reduced housekeeping, lack of park entertainment, closed restaurants and reduced menus, I struggle to feel like the magic will even be there! And this is a lot of money to drop for a partial disney experience.

if you have been there recently, how did the overall feel of the resorts/parks compare to previous visits?

When are you leaving? 10-12 days is long. My recent trip was 7/3-7/9 and I regretted not postponing my trip to the beginning of August for reduced crowd and more offerings. My family would probably enjoy the trip a little bit more if we had gone later this summer. I booked my stay at YC with 30% off discount. It was $399 per night for a garden-view room. We were there for 6 nights. During our previous trip in 2018, we stayed at GF in the main building with club-level service for 4 nights at the end of July. Then back in 2016 we stayed at AKL Jambo house 4 nights in a standard room in the beginning of August.

I like YC for its convenient location and the friendly staff. But in terms of overall value and experience, the recent trip was the least satisfying experience among them all. Probably due to the reduced offerings, lack of FP+ and CL service, the massive crowds with understaffed services and the concern of covid. We won't return to Disney until CL and FP+ (or anything similar to help reduce the wait time) are back.

Last edited:
I've stayed on-property at least 40 times, pre-covid. After canceling 6 WDW trips over the past 16 months, including the one I had booked for my 50th birthday, we finally went for a week about a month ago. When I booked, the only thing I could find in a one of our preferred resorts (EP area) was at rack rate. I bit the bullet and decided to try to ignore the price tag. I kept searching to see if something would end up in the discount inventory. Eventually, a turret suite at YC showed up at an AP discount - even with the discount, it was more than I've ever paid for a WDW room, there would be no CL included and every-other-day housekeeping. I decided to treat myself to finally celebrate my birthday and the fact we were finally going back to a place we love so much. Yes, it was worth it to us. We had an amazing time and the resort and room were stunning. There are only a few restaurants that remain unopened and that may change by the time you go. We aren't "foodies" per se, so closed restaurants didn't affect us. Fireworks started after we left, but you will have the opportunity to see them on your trip. Who knows what will happen with the show situation as I'm sure it has been difficult to hire cast back - the same is true of housekeeping. We knew going in what the housekeeping situation would be and it was fine. I'm really trying to get myself out of the habit of comparing pre-covid and our current times. We had a wonderful trip just being together and enjoying what WDW had to offer at that point in time. I do think, as time goes on, WDW will inch back to "normal" and more things may be open by the time you get there. If you feel the price tag is too high, perhaps investigate some of the mods or even the Swan/Dolphin? POR and POFQ are really lovely and Swan/Dolphin gets you in the EP area at a lower cost - we've enjoyed our stays at all of these resorts as well.

I think with kids your age, I would book a two bedroom suite offsite with fantastic pools. We came back two weeks ago and my DD’s favorite times, besides a few rides at each park, were at the hotel pool. She definitely preferred the pool over anything else at 6.

Don't think it is currently worth it. Whether something is worth the price is subjective and depends on your budget and what you are looking for. Clearly, since covid Disney now offers less and the prices certainly have NOT been reduced. Renting somewhere off-site is a potential option and will likely cost less and provide additional room for your family.

I stayed at Old Key West in May and had the time of my life, despite no fireworks, limited entertainment, social distancing, etc. Booked at Wilderness Lodge for early 2022.

A stay at Walt Disney World is what you make of it. I'm not a fan of staying offsite. Part of the reason I vacation at WDW is to be consumed by the Disney bubble. Renting a car / Ubering everywhere ruins the experience for me.

The Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge are attractions themselves. Go and have a good time.

Expectations… that’s what it boils down too. If ur already questioning it and antsy, perhaps delaying wouldn’t be so bad? .
I just canceled earlier this week for an upcoming visit. I really tossed it back and forth and finally it came down to Value for me. Yes, I can afford it but full rack rate, at a resort that was not my top pick and which I’ve never paid rack in many many on-site visits.. just irked me. I know me.. if I went with that in my head already and if things went “ off” I’d be none too happy. So,
I’d rather wait and perhaps when things free up a bit, less crowds, more options, amenities … go more off season since I’m flexible on timing. If you decide to go, and you can allow for a different experience.. well why not?

Well, "worth it" is subjective, of course, but for as much as I groan over the price increases, we keep opting to stay in Disney resorts, even as our kids get older and it really wouldn't be a major to-do to go to the parks from "outside the bubble".
BUT, at the end of the day, one of the things we like about being in a Disney resort is that we can totally opt out of driving for the duration of our trip, which is something we really appreciate. And without having to constantly be calling an Uber or Lyft as well. We don't mind getting one of those a few times, but we wouldn't like to need one every darn time we went back and forth to our hotel.

And while other resorts offer shuttles or buses, we're spoiled by the frequency in which Disney transportation comes & goes. We looked into the times and schedules of buses and shuttles from non-Disney resorts, and we felt they would alter our way of "doing Disney", and my DH in particular is pretty darn hesitant to mess with what he considers to be Disney success so far when it comes to our trips. :)

Also, our kids feel very comfortable with using Disney transportation on their own, which is important to us as they become old enough to move about the property without us sometimes.

Mind you, we're willing to stay in value or moderate resorts, so there's a big price difference between what we're shelling out to be in the bubble and what you will be. We love the deluxe resorts, but, with the exception of suites, don't find that we love the deluxe rooms enough to spring to stay there very often. For us, the only real perk is the walkability factor to Epcot or MK. Because pools aside, we can come visit any resort any check out the other things they have to offer, even if we're staying someplace less expensive.

Have you visited before with children? I think that makes a difference. My extended family and I just returned from a 9 day trip. I went four years ago with my kids. Yes, I found some of the magic missing. I will never forget my son launching himself into Sleeping Beauty’s arms, Pluto trying to Sharpie the kids faces, my daughter running into Mary Poppins unexpectedly, or the great lengths my husband and I went to to avoid letting the kids see any housekeeping because they were certain fairies were cleaning the room at night.

HOWEVER, my nephew and sister had never been before and did not realize what was missing. She will never forget his squeals of joy when Minnie blew him a kiss from the cavalcade, or the shocked expression on his face when stuck under a waterfall on Kali River Rapids, or him belting along to Frozen, or telling Jack Sparrow all about his pirate ship. If you have never been there before, I doubt you will notice anything missing. If you have been there before, just switch your lens to the eyes of your children, and you will find the magic. It is still there, just different.

As for hotel, that is a harder question to answer. I, personally, would not pay for a Deluxe. We stayed at POR the last time, and CBR this time. We enjoyed our moderate experiences. But without the early Magic hours, housekeeping, fully opened restaurants, and eventually DME, I have a hard time suggesting people pay Disney prices for even a moderate resort. The ONLY reason I would suggest it is if you have young kids (which you do), or mobility issues (which my dad did this time). The skyliner was hugely beneficial. The bus service was frequent and easy. The ability to hop on transportation while carting tired and cranky kids, gear, and strollers is just about the only benefit I see left to staying onsite.

We prefer to stay on site to be in the “bubble.” We’ve stayed at all levels. He and I were there for a week in June, and stayed at ASMovies. It was just the 2 of us, and it was fine. We didn’t want to spend the money for deluxe. But, we had a wonderful time. Yes there were restaurants still closed. Yes there were lots of things missing, but we don’t dwell on the missing. We had a grand time! Only you can decide about how much to spend on lodging, but go and enjoy what’s there. You will make lots of memories!

I'm at an old Doubletree Hotel in Denver (Cherry Creek) right now with limited breakfast, no housekeeping unless you stay more than 3 days and at a price tag of $229 per night plus tax and $12 per night parking. Give a bubble hotel please!

I have stayed at Disney resorts over 20 times in the last 14 yrs to be in the bubble. Stayed 14 days at a time sometimes. For my next trip I looked up 9 nights at Pop and it was over $2500 for Pop. I was said nope and booked at Universal Studios Dockside Inn for the same with a passholder rate at $890. I went back to ASMu when they announced bookings and it was $1664, I decided to stay there for 3 nights just to be able to be in the parks for that time. Too much money since reopening if you ask me. But can't stay away :rotfl2:

Looking for honest, recently been there opinions:
We have a long 10-12 day trip booked for over Thanksgiving. This trip is to serve as a celebration for our 10 year wedding anniversary that we couldn’t celebrate last year due to covid and my husband being laid off. We will have our 6yo (who has been often) and our 1yo who obviously has never been. When I initially started planning this trip last year during covid, it provided a much needed bright spot in an otherwise stressful, uncertain time.

Now that the trip is inching closer, I an starting to doubt whether the large cost of the trip is worth it. We are booked in a split stay between Poly and Wilderness Lodge, initially hoping for club level, and realizing that’s not going to happen. I fear no/minimal discounts will be available. And with the still reduced housekeeping, lack of park entertainment, closed restaurants and reduced menus, I struggle to feel like the magic will even be there! And this is a lot of money to drop for a partial disney experience.

if you have been there recently, how did the overall feel of the resorts/parks compare to previous visits?
It is relative to your wealth. So everyone will base their answer to your question on their own since they don’t know yours.
I’m going to guess though- That you have even booked a deluxe for that long puts you at college graduate. Anniversary means married, means dual income. But 10-year anniversary puts you mid-thirties, so saving for retirement, paying down mortgage, maybe even student loans. So I’m going to say not worth it? 🤷🏻‍♂️😝 jk

I did see on another thread that they are offering extra magic hours to deluxe resort guests only. And things are only getting better. So you got that going for you. So maybe worth it! 😀

Happy Anniversary!

For me are Disney resorts worth their large price tag? No. More and more benefits and amenities keep getting removed or charged for. Additional hotels outside of Disney are now getting many of the same perks from Disney. I could go on and on, but I won't. But I'm like every other blinded Disney fanatic. We continue to fork over the big bucks for less and less and keep on saying, "Thank you may I have another." I'm guilty as charged with the extravagant amount of money I'm planning on paying with my upcoming February trip to WDW at the Yacht Club. It is a serious illness and addiction we Disney fans have. With that said, I wouldn't stay anywhere else but at a Disney Resort. :rotfl2:

Everytime when those Youtube Bloggers (PDev, Kyle, Adrian, Alex the Woo, etc) show the long lines of cars at the entrance gate, the image would remind me that the reason to stay onsite is to bypass all those cars.

Worth is subjective. I haven’t felt WDW resorts are worth what they charge for a long time. When we go to Universal the difference in hotel amenities is glaring. You get more hotel at Universal. Compare value resorts at each, Pop or Allstars vs Cabana Bay, Universals value. You get 2 main pools, slides, lazy river, larger rooms, inside hallways, bowling alley! What does WDW values give you?

But when we go to WDW we do stay onsite. Going in a couple of weeks! Won’t pay their deluxe prices now. I can’t believe I’m paying the same price for CBR as I’m paying at a Universal Deluxe in October.

I‘m going to WDW with low expectation. I don’t think it will be like past experiences. And more and more I’m shifting to Universal.

But with young ones it’s so much easier to stay onsite. Maybe just stay at WL? Will construction be finished at Poly in Nov? With what Poly is charging a night to walk thru a construction zone, and no monorail is crazy. Most hotels reduce their rates when major construction is happening.

Last edited:
We almost always stay onsite and will continue to do so. Having said that, we recently stayed in a very nice two bedroom condo at Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek, as it was the team hotel for my daughter’s cheerleading team, and I was hugely impressed by how good, how close, and how cheap it was.

Worth it? A definite no from me, but I'm staying at AKL in December anyway since I love it there, and I'm justifying it because I didn't go to WDW last year at all.

That being said, I'll be looking at staying off property next Spring when I hope to go again, first time in a decade. (Unless I can find a really good discount, which I'm doubting based on this year's stay) Come 2021 there's no more ME, and they discontinued one of the biggest perks to me, which was the onsite airline/luggage check in.

I had booked a room at the Swan initially, but when AKL opened I decided to do one last stay there.

Only you can answer if it is "worth it" to you. As others have said, the subject of worth is highly dependent on your priorities, income level, etc.

My personal opinion, staying onsite is always worth it for my family because a) we can afford it and b) we like to be in the Disney bubble. That said, I do not believe the deluxe resorts are worth the cost over moderates so we choose to stay at either CBR or POFQ the majority of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter