Applying for Disney Jobs!

LindsayGorg

Earning My Ears
Apologies if this belongs in a different place, but I didn't see anything that included Disney jobs/careers. I've applied for a couple of jobs with Disney that I'm qualified for (and a couple I'm over qualified for - that's how bad I want to work for them!), and I'm looking for any insight you folks might have about the application and interview process. I know with such a large and popular company the process could take quite a while. I have a couple resumes "in progress" and a couple still in "submission" based on my Disney Careers Dashboard, and I applied for most of them almost 3 months ago now. Any idea if there is anything I can do to move the process along? Or is it just a waiting game? What about my chances of actually getting an interview if I've never worked for Disney before? I applied for the couple of jobs I'm over-qualified for assuming that would be the only way I'll get in with Disney - start from the bottom! They're all in my current career field and would be working in DAK.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

I would suggest taking a look at the college board for the hiring process. Even though the DCP runs on its own schedule, it can give you insight as to how the process actually works (submission vs in progress, etc)

Basically, submission means you've applied but nothings been done yet. In progress means they've accepted your application and have placed it in the "consideration" pile, but you haven't necessarily been placed in the interview pool. You could be stuck in either of those indefinitely/until they clear out the system. (I had some intern applications that were still in progress 6 months after the session had started/I accepted another position)

There is no timeline that can be trusted in the process, and no way to move the process along.

The general rule is that you are in the running until you get an NLIC (No Longer in Consideration)

If this is something that you really want, then just keep at it like you would any other company. Check the career boards, apply for what you fit, and hope for the best.

http://waltdisneyworld.jobs/?cid=1120&CMP=KNC-ACT_DR_JH_Brand-WDW-BMM|G|1143500.25

Do you have a "Central FL" mailing address? Very difficult to get any consideration without one. Depends on the time or year (for certain areas) and whether you are seeking full time (FT), part time (CR) or "seasonal" (CT) status. also.

If you are local, go to the Casting Center (across from Disney Springs), go up the ramp inside and at the top of the ramp there are several CM's that can give you a flyer with info as to what current openings they are filling at this time.

If applying for "professional / managerial" positions, I have no clue.

In my case (got attractions - wanted Monorial pilot but no openings at the time), I applied on a Thursday, got an email on Friday to set up a interview date, did the interview on Monday afternoon and got a phone offer on Wednesday. This was 6 1/2 years ago and was in the late Spring of the year. No idea as to what current time frames are.

http://waltdisneyworld.jobs/?cid=1120&CMP=KNC-ACT_DR_JH_Brand-WDW-BMM|G|1143500.25

Do you have a "Central FL" mailing address? Very difficult to get any consideration without one. Depends on the time or year (for certain areas) and whether you are seeking full time (FT), part time (CR) or "seasonal" (CT) status. also.

If you are local, go to the Casting Center (across from Disney Springs), go up the ramp inside and at the top of the ramp there are several CM's that can give you a flyer with info as to what current openings they are filling at this time.

If applying for "professional / managerial" positions, I have no clue.

In my case (got attractions - wanted Monorial pilot but no openings at the time), I applied on a Thursday, got an email on Friday to set up a interview date, did the interview on Monday afternoon and got a phone offer on Wednesday. This was 6 1/2 years ago and was in the late Spring of the year. No idea as to what current time frames are.

It sounds like the OP is looking for professional jobs, not one in the parks (I assume the DAK reference means they are looking for something in Animal Sciences). The process for professional and non-professional jobs would be different based on the skill level needed off the bat.

The fact that these are professional postings changes the need for a central FL address. Yes, being local may help, but for a corporation as large as Disney, they expect and plan for non-local applicants. In fact, no one I work with is a local and they all came in from out of state specifically for this job.

I will add based on the idea that OP may be applying for park jobs - be careful there. It can be very hard for someone to make the jump from attractions/merchandise/etc to a higher professional tier. The only people I know who have done that are ones who started as CPs, went through the PI program, and then were offered full-time roles from there

Thank you for the quick responses!
It sounds like the OP is looking for professional jobs, not one in the parks (I assume the DAK reference means they are looking for something in Animal Sciences). The process for professional and non-professional jobs would be different based on the skill level needed off the bat.

The fact that these are professional postings changes the need for a central FL address. Yes, being local may help, but for a corporation as large as Disney, they expect and plan for non-local applicants. In fact, no one I work with is a local and they all came in from out of state specifically for this job.

I will add based on the idea that OP may be applying for park jobs - be careful there. It can be very hard for someone to make the jump from attractions/merchandise/etc to a higher professional tier. The only people I know who have done that are ones who started as CPs, went through the PI program, and then were offered full-time roles from there

I am applying for a professional job, and applying from NH, but obviously willing to relocate. I would hope being out-of-state wouldn't take me out of the running! Most of what I've applied for are management level positions, and the others that I feel I'm over-qualified for I think would still be considered professional (not ride operator, food service, etc.). I had read a while back that if you had any hope of ever being in a management position, you had to start from the bottom with Disney and work your way up, which is why I'm applying to more entry-level jobs. I wish I could go back in time and tell my college past-self to do the college program!!

Worked out pretty well for George K. LOL

For what it's worth, I don't think that not having a FL address is an automatic negative - I got several interview offers over a period of a few years while I was still living in NYC, including the interviews I actually flew down here for to get my current job. And I wasn't applying for anything that'd be considered 'professional' - just stuff like food & beverage, hotel front desk, transportation, and finally vacation planning.

I know a few people who've 'worked their way up' from entry-level parks jobs but it isn't horribly common, from what I've seen. People can get advanced to coordinator/trainer jobs, and sometimes to lower management, but I don't think all that many people are getting much higher than that after starting at the bottom.

Thank you for the quick responses!

I am applying for a professional job, and applying from NH, but obviously willing to relocate. I would hope being out-of-state wouldn't take me out of the running! Most of what I've applied for are management level positions, and the others that I feel I'm over-qualified for I think would still be considered professional (not ride operator, food service, etc.). I had read a while back that if you had any hope of ever being in a management position, you had to start from the bottom with Disney and work your way up, which is why I'm applying to more entry-level jobs. I wish I could go back in time and tell my college past-self to do the college program!!

Man.. I didn't even know the college program existed when I was in college! I'd have done it in a heartbeat!
Good luck! I'm in the exact same boat. Several apps 'in progress' and 'submitted'. And a few timely rejections. :(
I hope not having a central FL address isn't a negative. I'm within easy driving distance, but would still need to relocate if hired. (Mine are corporate/finance positions)

Man.. I didn't even know the college program existed when I was in college! I'd have done it in a heartbeat!
Good luck! I'm in the exact same boat. Several apps 'in progress' and 'submitted'. And a few timely rejections. :(
I hope not having a central FL address isn't a negative. I'm within easy driving distance, but would still need to relocate if hired. (Mine are corporate/finance positions)
Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter