Appetizers?? Any Great ideas?

jacksmom

DIS Veteran
Hi! Would love to try some new appetizer recipes for Christmas Eve!:santa: Any ideas for showy, spectacular appetizers (no plain, ordinary , or simple)!:lmao:

Sugared Cranberries

2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
2 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup superfine sugar
Preparation

Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring mixture until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat. (Do not boil or the cranberries may pop when added.) Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid, if desired. Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add the cranberries, rolling to coat with sugar. Spread sugared cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry.
Note: The steeping liquid clings to the berries and helps the sugar adhere. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.
Cooking Light
DECEMBER 2003

Take a Tostitos Scoops chip place either a slice of kielbasa or cocktail weenie(sliced in half) on it, a little shredded cheese on top, microwave or oven heat until cheese melts, place salsa on top and serve.

Oooh, my kind of thread! I don't know how spectacular these are but they look good on a platter? Heh.

Savoury palmiers are always good - you can do different fillings in Christmassy colours, like a pesto and parm one and a sundried tomato tapenade and mozzarella one and then layer them in a fan of alternating red and green on your serving platter.

You could do a mini sortof slightly deconstructed brie en croute - if you make puff pastry cups, then fill with a bit of brie and something traditional - almond or cherry jam dotted on top and bake.

There's an old Gordon Ramsay recipe for ribbon-sliced summer squash that you marinate in good oil then roll around fresh peppered ricotta that's really good.

You could go old school classic and do blinis with a bit of creme fraiche and a chive sprig but for xmas you could do a tiny bit of pesto on top of the creme and use a strip of roasted pepper with the chive.

Could do espresso shot soups, like a nice butternut squash, those look impressive even though they're not really anything but cute serving. Can serve them with a sprinkling of roasted pepitas or a spiced crouton on a skewer or something fun.

Chive-tied blanched asparagus with a small julienne strip of some good smoky cheese.

Could also do a couple kinds of gougere - they don't look so impressive but people are usually impressed when they figure out what they are - and when they taste them! And if you go to the pate a choux trouble, you'll have a bunch of dessert options (make in bulky batches!).

I make a simple one

Celery
Minced walnuts
Cream cheese

Mix walnuts and cream cheese. Add the nuts to your taste. Lots or a little. Then spread mixture in the celery crevice (I cut the celery pieces in 1/2) and place on plate serve
Always a hit

Corn and cornmeal cocktail-sized pancakes, topped with sour cream thinned slightly with lemon juice, a small slice of smoked salmon, and a sprig of fresh dill. Tastes better if you make pancakes just before serving. Very adult, and delicious.

Here are a couple I saw on Pinterest that I might try this year.

Make Ahead Snowman Cheeseball

cd31f0b7-5eaa-466e-a8e2-22cf7fb4e784.jpg

3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (16 ounces)
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1 tablespoon grated onion
1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 drops red pepper sauce
1 container (4 ounces) whipped cream cheese, softened

Decorations (see Success Hint), if desired
Assorted crackers, if desired

Mix 3 packages cream cheese and the Cheddar cheese; divide into 3 equal parts. Combine 2 parts to equal two-thirds of mixture; mix in pesto. Mix onion, mustard and pepper sauce into remaining one-third mixture.
Cover each cheese mixture and refrigerate about 4 hours or until firm enough to shape. Shape each cheese mixture into ball. Wrap each ball, label and freeze.
About 12 hours before serving, remove balls from freezer. Thaw in wrappers in refrigerator.
Arrange balls on serving plate with smaller ball on top for head of snowman. Frost snowman with whipped cream cheese before serving. Decorate as desired. Serve with crackers. Store covered in refrigerator.

Makes 7 cups spread

Make the Most of This Recipe With Tips From The Betty Crocker® Kitchens

Do-Ahead Tip
You can make this cute little guy up to 1 month ahead!

How-To
Guests may be a little reluctant to start sampling your delicious creation, so make extra to fill serving bowls to help get them started.

Success
Use your imagination to decorate this whimsical snowman! You can use fresh rosemary and dried cranberries (crown), chopped olive pieces or raisins (eyes and buttons), pimiento or red bell pepper (mouth), radicchio or carrot ribbon (scarf), and asparagus spears or celery

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...ll/f29c01e3-0729-4c22-ac99-7646b49f8453sticks (arms).

Edible Fruit Christmas tree

IMG_5462-full.jpg

Note: Since many people asked me how this tree was made I am updating this post with the instructions on how you can make an edible tree like this one!
Source: Inspired from a supermarket holiday flier.

Material:
1 styrofoam cone (small or medium size) from your local craft store. (I got mine from Michaels).
Toothpicks
Cookie cutters with various shapes (I used a gingerbread-man shaped and a star shaped cutter)
Assorted fruits - I used green and black grapes, strawberries, kiwis, dried cranberries and a honeydew melon.
Cilantro garnish.

Steps:
My styrofoam cone was green in color, if you only have a white one then I suppose you could drape some green paper on a white cone or attach fruits very densely so it resembles more like a tree trunk.
Using the cookie cutters create various shapes out of the melon slices.
Attach toothpicks to the styrofoam cone. Attach one piece each of a fruit to a toothpick. (Think free-form; as the tree starts building you will know more about which fruit combinations are looking better and how densely packed you want your tree to be).
Continue building the tree as dense as you want!
Use cilantro leaves as grass garnish.
Enjoy your new edible fruit tree!!

http://ginger-and-garlic.blogspot.com/2009/12/espresso-chocolate-truffles-and-wish.html

This is one I make every year and people like it:

Tree Shaped Vegetable Pizza

75ef01c5-f069-4e2c-b46d-e194c905f120.jpg

2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups finely chopped assorted vegetables (bell peppers, broccoli, carrot, cucumber and/or green onions)

Heat oven to 375°F. Remove dough from cans in rolled sections; do not unroll. Cut each section into 8 slices (16 slices from each can).
Place slices, cut side down, on ungreased cookie sheets to form trees. To form each tree, start by placing 1 slice for top; arrange 2 slices just below, with sides touching. Continue arranging row of 3 slices, then row of 4 slices, ending with row of 5 slices. Use remaining slice for trunk. Refrigerate one tree while the other bakes.

Bake one tree 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute; carefully loosen with pancake turner and slide onto cooling rack to cool. Bake and cool second tree.

Place each tree on serving platter. In small bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, dill and garlic powder; blend until smooth. Spread mixture over both trees. Decorate trees with assorted vegetable pieces. Refrigerate until serving time. To serve, pull apart slices of tree.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/tr...zers/faf0baaa-0b37-4663-94a8-44de1419e825?p=1

Maggie

I make a simple one

Celery
Minced walnuts
Cream cheese

Mix walnuts and cream cheese. Add the nuts to your taste. Lots or a little. Then spread mixture in the celery crevice (I cut the celery pieces in 1/2) and place on plate serve
Always a hit

We do this minus the walnuts, with crumbled blue cheese. I think blue cheese, walnuts, and maybe some dried cherries would step this one up a notch (and maybe endive instead of celery).

I used to make a nice app by spreading cream cheese and sour cream on a flour tortilla, sprinkle some spring onion, layer baby spinach and smoked salmon, roll up, and cut to resemble sushi.

Our go-to one that tastes good (not exactly classy) is cream cheese/cheddar stuffed jalepenos wrapped in bacon. Delicious.

Wow! All such great ideas! I can't wait to try them out! These are just what I was looking for!:cheer2:

I have been making this stromboli recipe lately for parties, and everyone seems to enjoy it.

Stromboli

2 tubes of crescent roll dough
1/4 pound boiled ham
1/4 pound provolone cheese
1/4 pound pepperoni
1/4 pound salami
1/4 pound swiss cheese
1 jar (12oz.) of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
2 eggs beaten with 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese added

Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with PAM. Roll out one tube of crescent dough in the dish. Put down the layer of ham, then provolone, then pepperoni, then salami, then swiss. Top with the chopped up peppers.

Then pour half of the egg/cheese mixture over the swiss, and spread evenly with a spoon.

Lay out the other roll of crescent dough on top and stretch it slightly to cover everything.

Pour the other half of the egg mixture on the dough and spread it out with a spoon.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Uncover and bake at 425 degrees for another 10-15 minutes until brown (watch for doneness)

Cut into small squares and serve hot or cold.

HA' PENNY SNACKS

1 stick (1/4 lb.) butter
1/2 lb. grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Bring butter and cheese to room temperature; mix well. Add rest of ingredients and blend. Shape into 1-inch rolls, wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill. Could even be frozen and then thawed until easy to slice.
Heat oven to 375 degrees, quick moderate. Slice 1/4 inch thick. Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10 to 12 minutes until slightly browned

I love these...have been making them for years. They're flaky and cheesy and yummy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter