AP - Worth it?

Similar to Gator Chris, we began buying APs because it's a better value than purchasing park hoppers every summer. The bonus for us is we live within a long drive (now 6 hours) from the parks and can justify going a few other times during the year to see holidays. Our kids are young, and we enjoy going and feel it is "worth it." This is our third time having Deluxe APs since our first family trip in 2011. Back then we only had one kid and she was free.

I should also add to my previous post that having an AP is good if you will be in the area multiple times for family or business over the course of a year, or if you are traveling at different times with different groups. My AP trips over the last year have been: best friend and I chaperoning our DDs17 and friends on a "senior trip" they put together and paid for themselves, Christmastime trip with best friend, anniversary trip with DH (who only wants to go every couple years), and a trip planned next month with DD15 and DS12 just before the AP expires.

PHXscuba

I'm from Alaska and I just got mine for the first time in april, started as the deluxe but upgraded to signature plus and took the plunge on my last trip nabbing the Premier Passport. Im so far into DL about 11 days and have another 4 days in october. Im doing DW for 11 days in Jan so at that price point Id be paying over 1800.00 easily retail for all the days till my expiration which is in May. My Premier only costed 1495.00 and they gave me a free extra month on my pass for upgrading to the top tier.
21369192_10155572831645561_6939809569381291757_n.jpg 21761719_10155613885330561_1405218977886104069_n.jpg

Gator Chris touched on this, but I'll say it as well; it's nice to be able to get a few extra hours in on arrival and departure days. We're a 4 hour drive away and usually arrive between 8pm and 10pm the night before. Without AP's we would head to the hotel, slightly frustrated with being able to see, hear and smell Disneyland and yet not being able to get in without adding costly days to our tickets. Now we head straight for the parks and get a few good low crowd hours in before we even check in to the hotel. Same thing with the Sunday we head home, with the AP's we go get a few rides in and do some last minute shopping before heading home.

We got AP's severa years ago. We knew we would be going to the park twice during a 1 year period and the price of the AP was better (at the time) then buying five day PH's each time and it alloweed us to have a 6th day the first year at no extra charge.
So I would add up the number of times your sure to go and see how it works out. The discounts are minor IMO and just "icing on the cake".

It used to be the cost at 5-day park hoppers broke even at day 11. That being said, the discount on food and merch pretty much pays for itself alone. All things being equal, it actually COSTS You more because you will go more and spend more. That means more food, merch, and hotel stays. I'm in Phoenix and I had a Premium (until they discontinued it) and now live with a Signature. The rest of the family all got deluxe one year when we did a Loooong trip and several per year. An AP will only cost you money, not save you money, but if you are going to go anyway, its a good choice.

Really I think this is accurate. You will give more money to DLR if you have an AP. But then you will also have more fun than if you didn't have one, so there's the rub!

This cost analysis always comes home to me when AP renewal time comes up. They do offer a discount for renewing, but I know that I'll save way more by staying out of the parks until I decide to get a new AP. Ultimately you have to calculate how often you will go and how much it means to you. I love the years when I have an AP!

So I haven't run the Math since 2014, but it's gotten even worse. At 5-day park hopper prices and then working the way down the scale to what combination of hoppers you would need, on admission alone for the cheapest combination of admissions to get you to the price point here are the tickets you'd need to get:
The Deluxe you would have to buy a 5-day AND 3-day park hopper to break even on admission alone.
The Signature, you would have to buy TWO 5-day park hoppers AND a one-day admission (this is the 11-day break even I mentioned previously, but the Signature isn't what the Premium was, so it's a worse deal yet).
The Signature plus you would have to buy THREE 5-day park hoppers just to break even on admission. Now they HAVE Thrown in a TON of stuff for the Sig +, but still, you have to REALLY want to visit the park to pay for that. Max Pass, PP, Parking, etc. .all great perks.

I WAS a Premium AP until they discontinued that package. It was basically the Signature Plus of it's day. I was grandfathered PP on my Signature even though it's no longer an option, and will be paying the $80 for the Maxpass to be added and still come in way below the Sig+ with only 15 days less admission per year. Honestly, it's the best of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. The Deluxe isn't usable for our vacationing due to the blockouts. The Sig Plus extra 15 days for Xmas isn't worth the MASSIVE price increase.

All that being said... It still costs us $. Have an AP, you want to go. You want to go, you spend $.

Gator Chris touched on this, but I'll say it as well; it's nice to be able to get a few extra hours in on arrival and departure days. We're a 4 hour drive away and usually arrive between 8pm and 10pm the night before. Without AP's we would head to the hotel, slightly frustrated with being able to see, hear and smell Disneyland and yet not being able to get in without adding costly days to our tickets. Now we head straight for the parks and get a few good low crowd hours in before we even check in to the hotel. Same thing with the Sunday we head home, with the AP's we go get a few rides in and do some last minute shopping before heading home.
Yeah, we were on our way to San Diego over Labor Day 2016, and we stopped by DL on our way for just a few hours to see the last weekend of the 60th anniversary fireworks. No WAY we would have paid for three one-day tickets just to do that. We didn't even ride anything. And getting into the parks for a few hours on arrival and departure days was really nice. I'll miss that opportunity next time I go.

My wife and I have the So Cal Select pass. We've had others through the years, Premium all the way down. But now the Select is just right for us. We don't feel that we have to go every other week to make it worth the money. Also, when you have a pass you will see and feel the park much different than when you go for the day. You will stop and look around more, and enjoy the feel of it more. The discounts are nice, but only if you planned on spending that money anyway since things are overpriced there.
That said; there is also something special about a single day at Disneyland. When I look back at memories, most of the days I visited as a passholder are vague, yet when I remember going with a single day ticket, it is with a special feeling I get about those days. It's hard to pinpoint.
If you think you will go 4 times or more, I suggest a pass. Otherwise get a day ticket and enjoy what happens during that one specific adventurous day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter