AP Rate question

hftmrock

Earning My Ears
Ok, I am hearing alot about the AP Rate and how it can save money... But I just made a phone call and I want to make sure I understand everything because it 'appears' that the AP rate is higher.

I already have a room at the RPR for 5 nights 08/22 - 08/27. The price for just the room (I have a package but want to try to make this apples to apples )

My room rate (hotel Base Price) is $928.01

The AP rate for the same 5 days is $815.65.

If you add the AP cost (247.09) to the room rate you get $1062.74

Now I know the tickets would be slightly discounted too but am I right is thinking that ultimately the AP rate will cost me more than the stay more save more rate I already booked?

Am I missing something?

Ok, I am hearing alot about the AP Rate and how it can save money... But I just made a phone call and I want to make sure I understand everything because it 'appears' that the AP rate is higher.

I already have a room at the RPR for 5 nights 08/22 - 08/27. The price for just the room (I have a package but want to try to make this apples to apples )

My room rate (hotel Base Price) is $928.01

The AP rate for the same 5 days is $815.65.

If you add the AP cost (247.09) to the room rate you get $1062.74

Now I know the tickets would be slightly discounted too but am I right is thinking that ultimately the AP rate will cost me more than the stay more save more rate I already booked?

Am I missing something?

The AP might cost a little more in the beginning, but there are discounts for food and merchandise throughout Universal Property. Also a lot of people vist a few time a year (like our family) so it pays to have it, thats why it is mentioned a lot.:thumbsup2

What is the total for your package and how may people with total days in the park?

To make the comparison, you don't add the cost of the AP, but the cost of the upgrade to the AP from the ticket you would be buying.

Seems with 5 nights you would either get a 4 day or a 7 day, so take the cost of that and subtract it from the AP cost, and that's what you add to the normal rate.

I noticed last night that the AP rates for my time period (9/22-25) for HRH and RPR are for "higher" levels of room than are available for the Stay More Save More rate. So the rates I was getting, especially for HRH, are higher than the SMSM, simply because they are pool view instead of garden view, etc etc. So watch for that as well!

Remember you can check these rates yourself (especially helpful if you're a visual-learning person) on the loewshotels website, using the rate APH to check. :)

Like Bumbershoot said, you don't the cost of the AP to the hotel room. You add the difference between the AP and the ticket you would have bought, to the hotel room.

The difference between a non-resident AP and a 4 day park to park is (I believe) $85. So add $85 to $815 and you are actually looking at $900. A savings of $28 from the non-AP rate.

Add in discounts on tickets (at gate price is higher than online, but with AP discount it still comes out a bit cheaper than the online price), restaurant and merchandise discounts, and you can save even more!

Additionally, when I called the AP rates were all for waterview. So make sure you are comparing same category. I saved $54 over a standard room using the AP rate and got a waterview room (that was for a 4 night stay in June, and factoring that I would have bought a 4 day park to park). Less money for a higher category room was a great deal to me!!

I guess I am a little confused still...

I called and they said that to purchase an AP would be 247.09. that is the cost for the annual pass...

now I called and asked how much for a room with the same dates same category room and it was 815.65

so I have to pay 247.09 for the pass and 815.65 for the room which totals 1062.74

I currently have a reservation and the base room rate for the stay more save more is 928.01.

So not counting tickets to the park the room itself is almost $150 cheaper without the AP. I am sure the AP will get me lower ticket prices for the parks but I doubt it would save me over $150 and even if it saves me about the same thing it would basically be a wash.

you guys said I dont add the AP to the room rate but I have to purchase the AP dont I??

I guess I am a little confused still...

I called and they said that to purchase an AP would be 247.09. that is the cost for the annual pass...

now I called and asked how much for a room with the same dates same category room and it was 815.65

so I have to pay 247.09 for the pass and 815.65 for the room which totals 1062.74

I currently have a reservation and the base room rate for the stay more save more is 928.01.

So not counting tickets to the park the room itself is almost $150 cheaper without the AP. I am sure the AP will get me lower ticket prices for the parks but I doubt it would save me over $150 and even if it saves me about the same thing it would basically be a wash.

you guys said I dont add the AP to the room rate but I have to purchase the AP dont I??

Yes, it will cost you $134.73 more, but you will have one less ticket to buy. What is the price of the tickets you are buying and how many?

149.09 each ticket (4 day park to park)

so if I do it using the AP it will save me about $15 not counting the discounts on food and everything..

is that right?

Yes to compare the same thing you need to compare it to the hotel + 1 ticket, because you are including the AP in your AP rate.

So AP rate is $815 + Ap $247 = $1062

Non-AP Rate $928 + 1 4 day ticket $149 = $1077

So in that case $15 is the LEAST you will save from using an AP. If you then buy the remaining 4 day tickets at the gate with the 15% AP discount, you can save a little more, as they are a few dollars cheaper than online. Then you can take advantage of the merchandise and food discounts to save even more.

ETA: Realized you will save more than $15 on the hotel + 1 ticket, because the price you are using for the AP includes sales tax but the price you are using for the 4 day pass does not. When I pull up a 4 day park to park it is $161 after taxes, boosting your AP savings up to the $27-$28 range.

149.09 each ticket (4 day park to park)

so if I do it using the AP it will save me about $15 not counting the discounts on food and everything..

is that right?

Yes, then if you buy the extra tickets at the gate they are I believe $10 more than the online price. So you will have to pay $159.99 plus tax then take 15% off those.

If you call Universal a ticketing agent can tell you final price of the tickets purchased at the gate with AP discount. I did that to confirm it was less, but forgot to write it down so I don't remember exactly how much less it was.

Remember you can check these rates yourself (especially helpful if you're a visual-learning person) on the loewshotels website, using the rate APH to check. :)

I'm not seeing AP rates on the Loews website for August dates. Are they available by phone earlier?
thanks,
:hippie:

I'm not seeing AP rates on the Loews website for August dates. Are they available by phone earlier?
thanks,
:hippie:

Not all dates will have AP rates. If you put APH into the code box and it doesn't show an AP rate (just shows Seasonal, or Stay More Save More, etc etc), then there's no AP rate for that date (at least not at the present time).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter