AP Deal

outstandinfarmer

<font color=navy>I am not a farmer, but I do live
Has anyone bought an AP just to get a cheaper room. My family is planning to go for a week in the beginning of December which would be a value season. The difference between the AP and the park hopper is quite small compared to the savings you would get on the room. I know I would have to wait till the seaon comes to see what type of discounts there would be, but has anyone tried this? Would this work? We want to stay in a delux resort, but I'm trying to find the best deal!

I needed an unexpected break 2 weeks ago and called at 7am the day of departure for AP rooms at the Poly Conc.. We had no trouble getting a DEEP(?more than AP rate) discount for the next 4 nights and I bought the AP at the Disney store in the airport. Worked out great for us! Threehearts

But, I did the reverse of what you are planning. Our original plans were to stay at AKL Lodge Concierge (room only). Instead we bought Premium AP's and stayed at Pop Century. With the passes and the new room cost we still saved almost $1000. Naturally, we have a few more trips planned :)

Yes and No.

I'm buying it in June for our July trip. It got our family a great deal at the Polynesian, but I wouldn't have bought it just for this trip because we are only going 3 days. I'm buying it because we are also going next May/June (after Memorial day) for 7 - 9 days.
From what I understand, if you are planning to visit the parks for 8 or more days in one year, then an AP is actually cheaper. The AP does not include the water park admissions so make sure you add that cost into the mix if you are planning to hit those;)

We did. Bought them for a one time, nine day trip, in hopes of a cheaper room (we were going to do park days, too.

Ended up going 43 days that year total.

Be careful, it's a tad bit addicting. :p

Originally posted by outstandinfarmer
Has anyone bought an AP just to get a cheaper room. My family is planning to go for a week in the beginning of December which would be a value season. The difference between the AP and the park hopper is quite small compared to the savings you would get on the room. I know I would have to wait till the seaon comes to see what type of discounts there would be, but has anyone tried this? Would this work? We want to stay in a delux resort, but I'm trying to find the best deal!

While no one is guaranteed of getting a discount on room when they want to go, I think that it is a MAJOR factor in most peoples decision to go with APs, the chance that they will get the discount, of course you also have to be using it at least 8 days or so in the year to make it worthwhile. but I think it is a factor.

I did this. This past December, I bought AP because I was able to get a concierge room at AKL for $249/night instead of $425/night. We stayed 7 nights. I also used the AP at Winter/Summerland, restaurants and the big Disney store at DD. I felt that even if we didn't go back in the next 358 days that the cost was worth it! Of course, we are planning to go back before the pass expires! :jumping1:

BUT we have usually enjoyed the discounts. ;) I do remember being shut out one july (prior 9/11). But we started buying the ap when we started going more days. We stay down for 2 to 3 weeks each trip and twice a year. Now we are not in the park that much of the time :crazy: but throughly enjoy being able to come and go with out doing the day marathon's! I didn't know about the ap's (prior to computer also) until we were going to buy the "be our guest passes" and the cm suggested them for us, telling us they were a better deal and cheaper for the amount of nites we were staying. :sunny: That was very nice of him. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo (extra mickey's for him)! And didn't know anything about discount's till our 1st mickey monitor! Now we are all expert's on the subject. ;) I think I'll go into the mickey business someday, when retired. ::yes:: (we can all dream) :hyper:

MKY princess:

I will be buying them this year for the first time. We have a trip planned in Sept this year and January next. We will also be sneaking down for a quick trip in June of next year for my ds b-day.

We are hoping for room discounts but have an okay CAA rate if none comes out. But even without the discounts we will get our money worth....between the three trips we will be there 32 days and spend at least 20 of those days in the parks.

From my understanding you don't need to have the AP in hand to book a room with an AP discount, is that correct?

I was going to wait to see what kind of discounts are available for late summer (August). If I can get an AP discount then I was going to purchase the pass, but if I can get another type of discount without the AP, then I wouldn't have to purchase one. Am I right in my thinking?

Yes, that has always been the way it was BUT there were a few scattered reports here on the DIS that the last groups a few member's did say they were asked for there ap #'s on the back of there ap card. I would think the search should find something, cause I was surprised to read it. :earseek:

I know it is Listed in my profile when I call, cause they have said "Oh, I don't have to ask if you need ticket's, you have our annual passes".

Good luck mky, princess: maybe someone who got asked will come forward again?

We're doing this for this May. My husband will get an AP, and I'll get a park hopper. Even though we'll only be using his AP for five days in the parks, the discounted room price alone covers the additional cost, and the added perks of the AP (discounted meals and souveneirs in some spots) just adds to it all.

Since only one person in the room needs an AP to get the AP, you can't use the 8 day break even equation for an AP. If you get a great AP rate (40% most of the time) at a deluxe resort (which you were going to pay for anyway), then the difference in the cost for even a 4 night stay will actually pay for that annual pass. It is not all about the length of stay. Personally, since we own DVC, we always purchase annual passes. Since they have changed the renewal process, I let mine expire and then purchase a new one when we decide on our next vacations.

My husband and I purchased ours in September, when we took a short (no kids) trip. We are going in June for a long stay and will purchase the kids their AP's when we get down there.

Don't forget all the other great discounts you get for being an AP holder. 10% here and there does add up.

Vicki

The 8.5 day breakeven point only factors in park admissions, it assumes the other discounts are gravy.

I guess it is how you look at it. I know that anyone can produce the math (statistics) to make any point they want. I am just trying to make the point that when people say that the break even point is 8.5 days (whatever), you are really making some people feel that annual passes are not for them. In reality, if you are going for a shorter visit than 8.5 nights, AP's may be worth it.

For example:

A couple books Polynesian at $400+ per night for a 4 night stay.
They purchase park admission for those 5 days that they are at WDW for $270 each (another $540).

They find out about Annual Passes and decide on an AP rate for their stay. They spend a lot less money on the room, enough that they can actually pay for the annual passes with the savings. They were willing to spend the $400+ for the room in the first place.

After their trip, they still have an AP in hand good for another 11+ months with all the benefits. I happen to think that having the AP in hand for the rest of the year is the gravy part.

People chose to look at this in different ways which makes us uniquely different.

I just wanted to make a point that the 8.5 day break even point is a little deceiving.

Vicki

The ONLY way that cheaper room rates should be factored into a decision to purchase an Annual Pass is if Annual Pass Room Rates have been released for your specific vacation dates, AND you've got a room BOOKED at the Annual Passholder Rate.

Talk to anybody who vacationed in September of 2003 and bought an Annual Pass to save on hotel rooms.

Originally posted by outstandinfarmer

Yes, DD and I did this last Dec., there were AP discounts out when I decided at the last moment that we might want to see the Mouse. I priced it out, don't remember exactly what the room rate was, but to get the room at the AP rate and purchase an AP was less than the total cost of the room and PH's. Even if we did not ever use the AP again, we were spending less money overall, so I decided to buy the AP. We were planning on staying 5 nights. Then, the price for DD's AP was only a few dollars more than a 6-day PH, so I got her one, too, thinking we could take our annual trip a few weeks earlier the next year and save on park hoppers.

*Sigh* Let me re-word my earlier statement, we would have spent less money than rack rate and PH's. But, we have gone back in April for 4 nights, and are planning another trip in the summer, if we can swing it, and possible another in the fall. Those AP's really make it easy to convince yourself you are saving by going to WDW so much!!!!:teeth:

What are the discounts that people keep talking about getting at restaurants and the stores? How much are they are where are they at?

15% discount on boat rentals, 50% discount on mini-golf for passholder and 15% off for up to 3 guests, 10% off lunch at most Epcot sit-down rest., 10% discount for several DTD rest., etc. You can research the AP benefits at allearsnet.com, under "Planning" click on Annual Passes.:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter