• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anywhere to buy one share of stock.....

pjlla

DIS Veteran
Other than oneshare.com? I dont need all the fancy bells and whistles and dont want to pay big broker fees. I want to buy one share of a few different stocks for gifts. Thanks in advance..........P

Disney no longer issues stock certificates. All stock transactions are electronic only. However, if you do own any Disney stock you can purchase, for $50, a certificate from The Disney Store Online which will state that you are a shareholder, but not what you own and the certificate is not negotiable. http://www.disneystore.com/the-walt...shareholder-certificate/mp/1363897/1000202/#_ As of today the price per share was $109.26; then there would be brokerage fees plus the $50 for the certificate once the stock is registered plus the cost of framing.

The OP sounds like they want to buy one share of different BRANDS of stock?
Perhaps not Disney?

We used Charles Shwab many many years ago to but 5 shares of Disney stock-its now worth a pretty penny :)

However-many stocks have a minimum you must spend???
My son bought some "penny stocks" recently...maybe look into that?

Actually, I would like to buy one share of Disney and one share of either Subaru, Volkswagon, or Mercedes-Benz..... these are for college graduation gifts. Trying to buy a stock that would really interest the recipient. Also thinking into the future for other gifts as more nieces and nephews graduate..........P

Don't gift one share of stock. It will be more of a pain than it is worth for the recipient for taxes and if they decide to sell the fees would probably eat up any gain.

Don't gift one share of stock. It will be more of a pain than it is worth for the recipient for taxes and if they decide to sell the fees would probably eat up any gain.

Agreed. I have 4 shares of Walmart stock that my grandmother gave me in the 1980's. It's just such a pain, even at year-end when I receive a tax form for $1.02 and need to include on my tax return. If I could find the original certificates, I'd cash them in and have done with it.

Now, you COULD start them with a mutual fund which might be good for them to start thinking about saving for retirement.

Several years ago we purchased one share of Disney. My husband located a source that framed it and everything. It was a christmas gift for his sister, this isn't something that's going to be turned in, more of an art piece maybe. I'd have to ask him if he remembers where he got it. If you're interested, let me know. However, I'm not sure if was a source for only Disney or if they did that for other corporations.

I use www.sharebuilder.com for my stocks. You can buy as little as you want, or as much as you want. It's all handled electronically from my end, so not sure about getting the actual certificate, but the fees are only about $4 per trade.

Several years ago we purchased one share of Disney. My husband located a source that framed it and everything. It was a christmas gift for his sister, this isn't something that's going to be turned in, more of an art piece maybe. I'd have to ask him if he remembers where he got it. If you're interested, let me know. However, I'm not sure if was a source for only Disney or if they did that for other corporations.

Apparently some companies will still do that for you even with electronic-only registration, but only purchase one share and then issue some strange "certificate of acquisition".

There were a lot of odd ones. I heard Playboy stock certificates actually had an image of a topless model, but they changed it to a clothed model to try to reduce the number of requests.

If you don't want physical stock certificates (I'm not sure what you mean by bells and whistles) - Robinhood.com as a broker charges no fees or commissions. Otherwise Loyal3.com allows you to buy an amount of stock and will issue in fractional shares. So you can buy $100 or whatever rather than just one share.

But it's hard to buy stock as gifts for people because you need their information (social security numbers, often an ID such as a driver's license etc) to open an account in their name. Otherwise google the name of the company you wish to buy stock for and "Transfer Agent" and see if they sell stock directly. The Disney Corporation Transfer agent is Broadridge and you can access them online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter