Anywhere in the world with 2 sons, 2 and 4?

MeridaMerida

Mouseketeer
We want to take two big trips with our sons in the next two years, before my older son is in elementary school and we can't travel as easily. We have enough miles to go anywhere in the world, business class which means an international trip isn't quite as high as it would be for a family of 4.

I need some ideas! We have done Costa Rica and Hawaii before, as well as a good part of California. We have also done some of the East Coast Cities and Idaho/Oregon/Washington State. We have also done Disneyland and the whole experience of Disneyland Hotel.

There is a Northern Europe Disney cruise that is 8 nights that goes to Finland, Estonia, Russia, Sweden, Denmark. Those are places in Europe my husband and I have not been before. (we have traveled most of Western Europe). We were thinking it might be a nice mix of culture and getting to experience new countries but a lot easier with kids being on a cruise and not having to deal with trains or packing. I think our kids would love the shows and characters and activities, dinner experiences and kids center or nursery. I understand for my younger son we would have to pay for his nursery care. They are really on the go kids and need to be busy or entertained at pretty much every moment, so that is a consideration for any trip. We are not really into cruising though, so I don't know if that is something that may make this trip not as great as we are thinking. Thoughts on this trip idea or any other suggestions?

As an adult I have loved our land vacations in Europe but would certainly enjoy a cruise. With young kids I would definitely pick a cruise--there is so much to do for families. If you have time, you could add a land portion.

Another option is an all inclusive land vacation that will give you the things you are looking for without cruising, since you are not into cruising. One option is Beaches Resorts.

Have you cruised before?

We have decided cruising right now is not for us due to the space factor in cabins! It worked okay- ish when we only had DS10, we have only stayed in balcony cabins....to get use of ' private' outdoor space. Since DD is here too now, we have only tried to cruise once with both kids.....never again! The sleeping times etc with a ( then 20 month old) is just not conducive to that small of a space......we could have done 2 cabins, my DH wanted to, but I wanted our family to be ' together'. I think doing a land only European trip would be my choice. We have done England/ Scotland, Germany, and Italy with both children. Had amazing time on all trips, and loved not being restricted to where a cruise ship docks. Whatever you choose, have an amazing time!

I second Tokyo Disney. Never been, but I've heard SO many amazing things about the parks there and how they're the best Disney parks in the world.

We want to take two big trips with our sons in the next two years, before my older son is in elementary school and we can't travel as easily. We have enough miles to go anywhere in the world, business class which means an international trip isn't quite as high as it would be for a family of 4.

I need some ideas! We have done Costa Rica and Hawaii before, as well as a good part of California. We have also done some of the East Coast Cities and Idaho/Oregon/Washington State. We have also done Disneyland and the whole experience of Disneyland Hotel.

There is a Northern Europe Disney cruise that is 8 nights that goes to Finland, Estonia, Russia, Sweden, Denmark. Those are places in Europe my husband and I have not been before. (we have traveled most of Western Europe). We were thinking it might be a nice mix of culture and getting to experience new countries but a lot easier with kids being on a cruise and not having to deal with trains or packing. I think our kids would love the shows and characters and activities, dinner experiences and kids center or nursery. I understand for my younger son we would have to pay for his nursery care. They are really on the go kids and need to be busy or entertained at pretty much every moment, so that is a consideration for any trip. We are not really into cruising though, so I don't know if that is something that may make this trip not as great as we are thinking. Thoughts on this trip idea or any other suggestions?

We did back-to-back, Disney Magic, Norway and Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruises in 2015 for this very reason. Our son was 7 and we had done a central European land tour the year before and, while we enjoyed it, he got really antsy at times with longer drives, switching hotels museums, city walks, etc. We found with the cruises (Disney, in particular), it was the perfect mix of touring and downtime. We would typically do half-day tours (except in Iceland where we pushed it and did the Golden Circle) and then we would come back to the ship and he would unwind in the kids' club, have dinner, see a show, etc. He LOVED it. The Magic is also great because it is a smaller ship and we found the kids club (and the ship in general) didn't feel as crowded as the Dream or Fantasy. Honestly, we aren't really into cruising either, but we found cruising was a great way to get to see interesting places with our son when he was younger. Now that he is 11, we have done more land tours and more adventurous vacations (Greece and the Galapagos most recently), but if you want to travel to Europe with young children, cruising is definitely an easier way to go.

Never did a water tour with my children of Northern Europe when they were younger but as you've concerns about luggage carrying and train travel a cruise sounds like it could be a nice base to avoid the inconveniences. I would check cruisecritic.com to find a family friendly itinerary and cruise line. I suspect you'll have the widest choice for your specific wants using a European line although a Disney cruise would obviously be child-centric.

Have fun wherever you go.

I love the idea of Tokyo but my husband really wants to wait for our kids to be older to do Japan! I might be able to talk him into it if I found a good kid friendly literary that wasn't just Tokyo.

With your miles, for me, Japan is a no brainer. I'd also plan a few days at Tokyo Disneyland as long as you are there.

I‘d take the cruise because it allows you both: getting a glimpse on those cities/countries and using all the amenities of DCL. Why not start with some days in Copenhagen? It is not too big and very child friendly.

With the northern europe you will also avoid the extreme summer temperatures we had in central and southern Europe over the last years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter