Anyone will cancel a refundable vacation for potential Ebola threat?

Cancel a refundable vacation?

• Cancel the trip only if a case is identified in FL, or there are more out-breaks across the country.

• Cancel the trip right now

• Won't cancel even if a case is identified in FL, or there are more outbreaks across the country

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let's see: In 1999, we were one of the last flights into Orlando before they closed the airport before Ffloyd skirted the coast. In 2001, I booked a December nonstop cross country trip from Ohio to Vegas after 9/11 (got a great airfare and hotel package). In 2003, I booked a vacation to Toronto including Canada's Wonderland amusement Park for shortly after the SARS travel advisory was lifted (got some great hotel rates). In 2004, my flight was canceled because of Hurricane Frances when it hit Orlando but I rebooked for a few days later and was there during the cleanup.

So at this point, No, I'm not canceling my January trip because Ebola. If it starts spreading more quickly and travel advisory start being issued, I'll reevaluate at that point.

I wouldn't cancel personally. But I will be bringing Clorox wipes on the plane with me anyhow for my December trip. My aunt it's a flight attendant for Alaska and said since crews have such a short time between flights they are lucky to get the garbage out and almost never is any sanitizer used on seat, tables, Arm rests, or even bathrooms! It clearly happens more often than not becauseshe is adamant about touching nothing until she's wiped it down.
As I side point I think that nurse should have her nursing license revoked. I'm an RN and its inconceivable to me to take care of AN EBOLA PATIENT (yea know, kinda a big deal right now...), run a low grade fever,and be all 'i think I'll do some air travel now.'. She's either selfish or not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Either way not someone I would want taking care of me.

Do you wipe down the tables and chairs at a restaurant before you use them? Do you wipe down a public bathroom before using it?

It would seem "Ebola" has people acting like Howard Hughes.

JMO

SARS, Bird flu, and Swine flu.. I remember reading similar threads here on the boards when these "outbreaks" were in the news.

You have to make the call you are most comfortable with. As many have pointed out, there are far "greater" things to be concerned about at this point (car crashes, ride accidents, monorail derailments, common influenza, lightening strikes, hurricanes, and Disney Rash come to mind) that could end up being an actual issue on a Disney trip.

Just a few things to hopefully put some minds at ease...

It's actually really hard to catch, as long as you keep you clean properly(I always have hand sanitizer) you should be fine. Saliva tends to only become a transmitter in the very late stages of the virus, and sweat is very very very unlikely to carry the virus. It's really blood and vomit that are dangerous and still those would have to come in contact with a cut or one of your mucous membranes.

For those worrying about Ebola becoming airborne, that's next to impossible to happen. Ebola mutates at a slower rate than most other viruses and very few viruses ever change how they spread(almost no precedent for this ever happening in human viruses).

A virus has one purpose and that's to replicate and continue to exist...if the virus became airborne it would burn through the population it's seeking to infect and render itself dead. That makes a transmission mutation very unlikely because it would hinder the virus' entire purpose.

The mortality rate is much higher around 70% in Africa because of many factors such as lack of potable water, fear of hospitals(also lack of proper hospitals), reliance on old medicine cures, and one of the most likely problems...African funeral rites tend to involve hugging and kissing of the corpse and the eating of a meal around the corpse.

Both Nigeria and Senegal have stopped the spread of Ebola, so I'm fully confident in our ability to do so.

There would literally have to be an incident at WDW for me to panic and cancel things. I don't spook too easily, though I'm not dumb enough to go putting myself in bad situations.

I have never worried about the SARS, H1N1, or even the new flu (sorry can't remember names). I detest hand sanitizer b/c it dries my hands and I also feel disrupts people's own immune system and makes them weaker. I have not gotten a flu shot since I was a child and (knock on wood) haven't gotten the flu. I do eat healthy and take supplements that boost immune system and try not to eat any food with sugar in it (sugar is evil evil and causes inflammation). All that being said, I am concerned about ebola and will probably try to take some extra precautions when traveling. I know CDC has said people aren't contagious when not showing symptom, but honestly I take everything said by the gov't with a grain of salt. I tend to believe the exact opposite of what the gov't says. Not enough to cancel my trip though. But if it comes out that someone comes down with it while I'm there or on my plane....I'm probably going to be paranoid until the incubation period is over.

I have never worried about the SARS, H1N1, or even the new flu (sorry can't remember names). I detest hand sanitizer b/c it dries my hands and I also feel disrupts people's own immune system and makes them weaker. I have not gotten a flu shot since I was a child and (knock on wood) haven't gotten the flu. I do eat healthy and take supplements that boost immune system and try not to eat any food with sugar in it (sugar is evil evil and causes inflammation). All that being said, I am concerned about ebola and will probably try to take some extra precautions when traveling. I know CDC has said people aren't contagious when not showing symptom, but honestly I take everything said by the gov't with a grain of salt. I tend to believe the exact opposite of what the gov't says. Not enough to cancel my trip though. But if it comes out that someone comes down with it while I'm there or on my plane....I'm probably going to be paranoid until the incubation period is over.

It's not just the CDC that says people aren't contagious until they show the symptoms but independent doctors and experts on this type of thing.

MORE PEOPLE DIE EVERY YEAR FROM THE FLU THAN HAVE EVER DIED FROM EBOLA!:crazy2:

STOP WATCHING THE NEWS AS EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD IS BAD AND WILL KILL YOU!:stir:

I don't know that I'd cancel my trip, but I certainly understand your fears. I am very nervous that Ebola will begin spreading rapidly in the US now that it's here. If it is supposedly so hard to catch, then why did not one, but two, nurses catch it while treating the same patient?

They caught it because they didn't have the proper protective gear for a patient that was actively shedding the virus.

I would like to ask, "What if you ARE at WDW and someone is throwing up and bleeding??!!" Think of all the people that would be in harms way of catching it. I'm honesty scared to death of going on our trip! However, until someone in Orlando is diagnosed, I will continue my plans and go in November.

I would like to ask, "What if you ARE at WDW and someone is throwing up and bleeding??!!" Think of all the people that would be in harms way of catching it. I'm honesty scared to death of going on our trip! However, until someone in Orlando is diagnosed, I will continue my plans and go in November.

Umm, it's highly unlikely anyone suffering from Ebola would be able to make that trip. Ebola starts to effect you very quickly and the only time somebody starts bleeding and vomiting from it is in the later stages if they're close to dying...at this point they'd be waaaaaaay past traveling.

If you see somebody bleeding and vomiting in WDW you should probably walk away, because you never know what could be going on.

Umm, it's highly unlikely anyone suffering from Ebola would be able to make that trip. Ebola starts to effect you very quickly and the only time somebody starts bleeding and vomiting from it is in the later stages if they're close to dying...at this point they'd be waaaaaaay past traveling.

If you see somebody bleeding and vomiting in WDW you should probably walk away, because you never know what could be going on.

Or they make it to Orlando, would actually make it to the parks in that shape!

If you see someone throwing up and bleeding at Disney, first please check your location. If it's Epcot during F&W, particularly on a Friday or Saturday evening, it's probably not ebola. :p

Not to be morbid, but to put things in perspective....more people have been killed in car accidents today than have had the ebola virus in the US.

Also to put things in perspective....there are more threads about Ebola on the DISboards than the total number of Ebola patients that have been on US soil.

:rotfl:

the main issue isn't the amount of people dying from ebola but the actual death rate.. yeah you have to have direct contact with a showing patient BUT if you do make contact, and do catch ebola you only have a 30% chance of living from it where the flu you are more likely going to catch but will survive more than likely.

again, im not too concerned right now just because we watched no.1 walk into a hospital that wasnt prepared or protected in any way and was showing signs and no one there has been tested positive.. the two that did catch it were assisting the man after it was known and they were taking precautions.. somewhat..

if Ebola spreads across the travellers of that airplane she was on then we got issues (but no.1 was on a plane with ebola and no one was infected so we should all be pretty good)

the main issue isn't the amount of people dying from ebola but the actual death rate.. yeah you have to have direct contact with a showing patient BUT if you do make contact, and do catch ebola you only have a 30% chance of living from it where the flu you are more likely going to catch but will survive more than likely.

again, im not too concerned right now just because we watched no.1 walk into a hospital that wasnt prepared or protected in any way and was showing signs and no one there has been tested positive.. the two that did catch it were assisting the man after it was known and they were taking precautions.. somewhat..

if Ebola spreads across the travellers of that airplane she was on then we got issues (but no.1 was on a plane with ebola and no one was infected so we should all be pretty good)

Keep in mind that 70% death rate is based on countries with conditions and medical treatment faaaaaaaar worse than ours.

Also to put things in perspective....there are more threads about Ebola on the DISboards than the total number of Ebola patients that have been on US soil.

:rotfl:

For... now... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:stir: Happy Halloween! :stir:

The mortality rate is the overall rate that includes people in third world countries without access to adequate medical care, coupled with cultural norms that help the virus flourish. The mortality rate of people treated in the U.S. is currently 1/6...or 17%. Much, much lower than the 70% being reported today. For people who have access to the western medical system--which would include almost all of us here--ebola isn't a death sentence like it is in Africa. Thomas Duncan likely wouldn't have died if the hospital he went to would have recognized the virus the first time he came in. By the time he returned to the hospital via ambulance, his disease was pretty far advanced. Every other U.S. patient has recovered likely due to the early treatment they received.

As I side point I think that nurse should have her nursing license revoked....
She's either selfish or not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Either way not someone I would want taking care of me.

not everyone graduated at the top of their class. when i was hired at a lab i was replacing a guy who stuck his hand over the top of the sharps container and shook it violently up and down trying to shift the contents to make more room. :rolleyes2 he broke procedure too and didn't safety the syringes before dumping them in the sharps.

i'm not too concerned because at wdw and in airports i treat every object as i would as if it were contaminated. i'm just going to hope the people in the back, cooking, are sanitary people and that no idiot sneeze blasts us in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter