Anyone stayed at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Beuna Vista Lake? First timers to WDW!

lwilkison

Mouseketeer
Hey Dis'ers...
We are planning our first ever WDW visit.

We have been to DLR about 8 times so pretty comfortable with travelling there.

We have "Hydroguy" that has great "first timer" advice for DLR...is there anyone that does that for WDW?

We are looking at going for the first two weeks of December 2017 and we would really appreciate any advice.

My eyes are popping out of my head with the amount of information that is out there for WDW!

We are DH, myself and our DD (9 years old).

Flying in from Vancouver, BC, with red eye Westjet on the Saturday.

• We aren't sure yet....rental car or no?! How reliable are the options for transportation to all the parks?
  • Has anyone stayed off site at the Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Beuna Vista Lake?
  • We are thinking at least 2-3 days at MK, about 2 days at the others plus 2 days for Universal Orlando (harry potter), with an "off day" in the mix.
Any other "top tips", I would really appreciate!
TIA!

Last edited:
Check out wdwprepschool.com & Mousesavers.com for great first visit advice. If staying offsite I would absolutely rent a car. Those websites each have good advice to help you sort out what logistics will work best for your vacation goals and budget. Have a great trip!

My first advice for 1st Timers is to stay onsite, not offsite. At Universal, if you do not stay at one of the 3 main resorts, is crazy.

For WDW, you do not know your way around, waiting on buses offsite is horrible, and being in it all is probably the best. You are in the middle of everything. Bus transportation is better than a car since you won't know your way around. I would even drop to Value resorts just to be onsite as a newbie.

For US, the big 3 hotels give 1-hour early access AND an unlimited front of line pass. That pass alone will have it so you can do US in just 2 days. You can't buy it, it is part of the hotel package. Even for 1-night (2 days at the parks) it is worth the $200 - $250 for the night.

I think there are plenty of offsite hotels that will provide you a great vacation, and usually you can get more space and amenities for the price. I stay offsite as much as I stay onsite and I have over 120 onsite stays. My next two trips are booked for offsite, next weekend at a brand new hotel I'm very excited about.

What I will say is that I would never stay offsite without a car. It is something I would just have to budget into my trip for nothing else that time is money. Your transport from airport to hotel won't be cheap, I'd rather put towards a car. The shuttles at all the offsite hotels are limited and usually take you to the TTC where you will have to wait, transfer and ride to the park. You are losing valuable morning time in the parks. Then in the evening you have to make sure you build in plenty of time to get back to your shuttle. Universal shuttles are even worse, usually less and looks like your resort is only one over and one back each day. Having a car will allow you to easily go to Disney Springs and for much less expensive dining options if you have an evening out of the park. Budget would need car rental, parking fees and gas. Note if you park hop, you only pay to park once, keep your receipt.

Price your room via the Mousesavers link above and see if there is any benefit to you. Sometimes you save money on the room and get add-ons. Depends on their offers and your dates.

Here is a 2015 shuttle schedule for you hotel but I would assume it is the same. Most look like this, their older one had park drop offs but I'm pretty sure now you only go to TTC. You are traveling from far, spending money and I would hate to lose valuable park time getting consumed by adhering to a shuttle schedule and doing transportation transfers.

holiday-inn-lake-buena-vista-horarios-transporte-parques-441x800.jpeg

for first timers, let me say this....stay onsite. It's not at all the same as DL,at WDW. WDW is HUGE and spread out all over the place. If you stay offsite, you'll want a rental car,and you'll pay to park. For 3 people I highly recommend onsite at a value for your first trip,and take free disney transport. I've done both,and DL is an easy offsite choice,it's all so walkable. The hotels near Disney Springs are not as close as they appear,and certainly not to the actual parks. I know I'm in the offsite hotels board here, but that's just my 2 cents. An onsite hotel at WDW has easy ride perks that don't compare at all to DL options.(I'd never stay onsite at DL) You can usually find decent discounts on a value room,just look around these boards for help.

While this might not matter to everyone, I'll point out the difference in room size between the Holiday Inn Resort Orlando - Lake Buena Vista and the Disney Resorts. According to Expedia, the Holiday Inn standard rooms are 420 square feet. Some have exterior entry and some have entries via interior corridors. They come with two queens beds and might look like this:

holiday-inn-resort-orlando-600x450.jpg

Rooms at Disney's Value Resorts are tiny at 260 square feet. They only offer exterior entry. They have two double beds and might resemble this:

disneypopcentury-orbitz.jpg

Of course, these are promotional images provided by the hotel. It's probably worth going to Bing or Google and searching each hotel name in the Images section. That might provide some pictures of just how small/large the rooms are in reality.

While I love onsite, for 2 weeks I would go offsite unless I could afford a 1+ bedroom onsite (very expensive). I'd have a car either way: cheaper than Uber daily, and the buses drive me nuts.

Anyway, OP: I urge you to rent a car if offsite. Find the car rental thread on disboards for that month to find discounts.

Mousesavers loves that hotel. I'd also suggest you look at Staybridge Suites on "Suiteside Drive:" 1 bedroom units (and 2 bedroom/2 bath units (2 tv's!)) both with full kitchens! (Full frig, microwave, etc), free buffet breakfast, walk to Publix (real grocery store) very close drive to tons of restaurants and MK via back roads, and almost walkable to Disney Springs. Pool is a bit more boring than Holiday Inn you chose, but there's a hot tub. There's a review on tripadvisor by a Scottish or British person with a video that's very helpful. Even if you aren't going to cook on vacation, its great for quick breakfast or leftovers. With a real bedroom you can stay up later than your child. HTH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter