Anyone sold clothes at Once Upon A Child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mocharilla

DIS Veteran
With DS growing so fast, we've got boxes and boxes of clothes he's outgrown. I was thinking about taking those and selling them at Once Upon A Child, along with a few things we have extras of and stuff.

Anyone done this? Is the amount you get worth it? Any other suggestions of places to sell them so we could make a little wedding/disneymoon/disney trip money?

I've used them for years in Minnesota with pretty good results. Really the best way to use their store is to both buy items from them and then when you are done with them hope they will buy them back. That way you get a deal on both transactions! After 8 years of buying and selling I still don't have their system figured out in terms of why they buy some items and not others. In the Twin Cities area there are several stores owned by the same owner and what they won't buy at one location they will buy at another. So, try to sell at more than one location. Good luck!

With DS growing so fast, we've got boxes and boxes of clothes he's outgrown. I was thinking about taking those and selling them at Once Upon A Child, along with a few things we have extras of and stuff.

Anyone done this? Is the amount you get worth it? Any other suggestions of places to sell them so we could make a little wedding/disneymoon/disney trip money?

Ebay would make more $. OUAC around here offers on avg about $2 per clothing item :crazy2:

I've used them and have been very disappointed at times! For them to buy back the cloth's they need to be in "perfect" conditon - especially the really small sizes.....they give you next to nothing - but it is better than nothing! I just hate when i got there w/a few bags and still leave w/a couple because they don't want the stuff. Toys, games they take more easily! I now do yard sales - think i make more!

good luck

lisa

I did it last fall, just cuz I was sick of all the old clothes. They took about 1/2 my stuff. I think I got like $60. And there were a few things that I was surprised that they didn't take, some name brand things, but who knows. I know they give you basically 25% of what they sell it for. If it was a dress worth $10, they can sell it for like $5, they give you $2.50.

I just wouldn't get your hopes up about making a ton of money, but I was honestly just happy to get rid of a bunch of things. Plus, it didn't require Ebay listings/fees, relisting on Craigslist every week, and more of my own time, kwim??

I did years ago, nice way to get money to buy other clothes

Alright, cool. I think I'll bring stuff in, see what they buy, and ebay or yard sell the rest.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. Very helpful! :)

I definately second trying different locations...I live in an upscale area and at the closest location, they are EXTREMELY picky about what they take. :snooty:
I just don't get it, because I look through their stuff for sale and don't think it's all that... (I guess we all think our own stuff is great! ;) )
I've tried different locations and they do take some things that other locations won't. I still wonder if it is worth the effort though.
It is so hard to pass stuff along! Yes, while I'd like to have some extra money to put towards buying new items or to save for something special, I just want a good home for the nice stuff that is still good! Even so many charity organizations make it so hard for you to pass it along to, and you have no idea where it winds up. I just want it put to good use.
Maybe we should start a children's clothes swap! :laundy:

Not sure if you went already, but here I only got $1-$2 per article of clothing and it had to be what they deemed "Name brand" (ie. Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, LOL).

They were very picky and I think they only took a few items from me.

Every time I bring stuff in to Once Upon a Child they tell me they aren't taking clothing right now. I even called once and they said they were taking stuff and I drove right over there, a 30 min. drive and they trold me they were not taking it.
I have tons of stuff now saved from birth to 3 year and will put it in groups and sell it on ebay. I figure if I can get $3 per shirt and $4 for the pants I will be ok.
I have a great 18 month snow suit that I bought my grandson at Talbots for $60 and he never wore it. It still has the tags on it. My son moved out from my DIL and she wouldn't give it back till Nicky outgrew it even though my son had custody.

I have and I must say I was very dissappointed. I knew they would be picky but they were overly picky in my opinion. I had a whole bunch of stuff that dd never wore with tags on it and I hardly got anything for them. :sad2:

Look for one in your area. My mom and I run one here and it's great. There are several in our small town. Our's is the biggest, and this sale we have over 500 consigners. Consigners make a bigger percentage of the selling price usually than at a consignment store. Our consigners earn 2/3's of the selling price of the item. It's a great way to sell your things and shop for more. We just finished receiving our things for our spring/summer sale and there are some BEAUTIFUL boutique items there. It's fun, and you get everything out of your house at once! Most don't limit how much you can bring, and if it doesn't sell, you have the option of picking it up (why bring it back home??) or donating it to some great charities. (at least that's our policy) We have some great charities that are very grateful for the donations they get. It's a great deal for all!

I used them years ago when my kids were small, but I wasn't thrilled with selling to them. As others have said, they are VERY picky -- if the items have been worn more than a couple times, they aren't going to accept them; yet they pay very, very little -- think 10% of the original price for used items, 20% of original price for things with tags attached -- and that's for name-brand items; forget about Walmart type things. They are, however, one of the few stores that pay you UP FRONT for your items; most other consignment stores pay you only when the items sell.

On the other hand, I liked buying from them! They always had good inventory.

You can do better with ebay; however, that means you have to take care of photographs, answering questions, and mailing packages.

Now that I participate in a twice-yearly consignment sale, I'm really sad that I sold so much of better kids stuff to OUAC. I probably got paid ok, but nothing like what I've made selling through consignment or ebay.

We learned our lesson very early. We don't sell to OUAC. We may buy from there occasionally, but we soon realized that when we first brought a TON of stuff in I got a check for a whopping $4. Not a joke. I only wish it were.

So, now I donate the kids stuff my son's day care, and get a receipt for the donation from the director. Then it is a deduction on my taxes. You can also do the same to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or St. Vincent De Paul Society. It may not be instant, but when tax time comes around those little receipts add up!

I was jus going to mention giving to Goodwill, etc and saving the receipts for next years tax deduction. But, it also sounds like you want some instant cash for your wedding/trip. I would go thru your items and pick out the best name brands/boutique items and eBay them.

I have done done all of the options above. I am trying to sell in a community group sale next month. I have been on the waiting list to sell and finally got in.

Good luck!! Also, garage sale time is around the corner, advertise and you could do well!

True I didn't think about that! Sorry!

Hmmm... I agree the Spring/Summer Consignment Sales around here are probably the best bets for moms. They get advertising, moms know about them as a great resource, and also you may be able to save money on clothes for your own brood as well!

I went in with some NWT Gap peacoats that my girls had never got around to wearing. I also had matching NWT hats. Both were lined in that faux fur. The coats retailed 49.50 apiece and the hats 14.50 apiece. They were going to offer me 5.00 for everything. Both coats and boths hats. I was shocked I told them that was insulting and that I would rather give it away to a charity than to be insulted by them and turned around and left. :sad2: They are extremly high priced also. So I know that they were probably going to sell them as sets at about 25.00 apiece. I am totally not joking.:sad2: Our OUAC is a RIPOFF!

We sold 3 rubbermaids worth of infant boys clothes to Once Upon a Child in January and made $250. There were some high end clothes, but not much. I am one that laughs at the price of most children's clothing. I went to Younkers last night to buy my 23 month old son an Easter outfit. They seriously were asking $60 for a Ralph Lauren oxford shirt....for a 23 month old child. So, I went to Kohls and bought him a RL Chaps oxford shirt for $16.

I used to work at a OUAC a long long time ago and they do not have any kind of pricing system. It is up to the individual worker who's doing the buying to decide on what to take, what they sell it for and how much $ to give you, at the most 20% of what they sell it for :rotfl2:. From my experience most of the workers don't even know what is considered name brand clothing :confused3. You would think that would be something they should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter