anyone planning ahead for 2011?

jlou

Mouseketeer
Now that the shock of "no early booking discounts" has worn off, we began thinking that we might do a 2010 trip afterall. (and yes, I did already vote "no" in the "who's in / who's out?" poll). But, after much consideration, have decided to put it off until 2011 so that we have time to save, plan, and look forward to it.

So, anyone have plans for next year? We're seriously considering the Alpine Magic trip. We'll have a 15 year old son and a 12 year old daughter by then (wow, not used to writing such big numbers for them).

We're definitely planning a 2011 ABD trip! DH is in Iraq right now, and we're socking away money and looking forward to that trip as our big family treat next year for making it through 2010. We're leaning toward Italy but not completely decided. DD will be 9 then. I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of the 2011 itineraries! I know it will be a while still, but it's something to look forward to. :thumbsup2

Now that the shock of "no early booking discounts" has worn off, we began thinking that we might do a 2010 trip afterall. (and yes, I did already vote "no" in the "who's in / who's out?" poll). But, after much consideration, have decided to put it off until 2011 so that we have time to save, plan, and look forward to it.

So, anyone have plans for next year? We're seriously considering the Alpine Magic trip. We'll have a 15 year old son and a 12 year old daughter by then (wow, not used to writing such big numbers for them).
I don't have plans for 2011 yet; I'm still waiting to see if my 2010 plans happen or not! (ABD/DCL Med cruise)

Have you read the trip report that Gibson4 did for the Alpine Magic trip? If you haven't, reading it will DEFINITELY influence your decision! It's a fabulous trip, and a fabulous report. I don't think the ABD description does it justice. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=35167089#post35167089

Sayhello

Hi jlou- We are doing Alpine Magic in June 2010, followed by 5 days in Paris on our own. I agree with Sayhello. We probably wouldn't have even considered this trip until we read Gibson4's trip report. After that, it just looks like it will be so much fun (we have a pretty adventurous almost 8 year old boy) we just had to do it.

Regarding 2011 we are looking at Southwest Splendors, Peru, or Costa Rica. This is our first ABD, so we want to see how it goes before making any final decisions. If we didn't do an ABD, we are also talking about touring around the UK. Our son has become quite a fan of Harry Potter and it would probably be pretty cool for him to do a Harry Potter tour in England. But, first things first, we are still planning for Alpine Magic and France in June. Good luck in your search for the dream vacation.

We're going on the 6/6/2010 trip - taking my almost 15 year old daughter and 12 year old son. Will post something afterwards to tell you how it is for kids that age.

We are hoping that there will be a Hawaii ABD by then. :thumbsup2

Unless AbD comes up with something really appealing, I am looking at Tauck/Tauck Bridges trips in 2011 and beyond...

Peru for us, I think, in 2011--although now that you mention the Alpine trip...(and in the recent survey there were questions relating to possible trips, with a long list that included: Eygpt! And if Japan came up, well...looks like lots of fun for all of us this August when the post, hopefully this year with new adventures).

I would really like to do another ABD at some point, but I'm not making any plans. Everytime I do, ABD does something to derail them - first time by cancelling my original 2009 trip and then by eliminating the EBD I was planning to use for 2010. The only trip that has gone off as planned, was the Costa Rica trip in 2008, when I really didn't do any planning. I booked it on the spur of the moment about 1 month before the departure date. I'm keeping my eye on airfares and may do something later this summer or at fall break in Europe. Princess has a British Isle cruise that looks interesting. If we do something like that, the Harry Potter tour sounds lkike a perfect activity for my DS (thanks for mentoning it RSM!). For now, our only definite plan is the Tauck Northern CA trip in June. I have heard that they offer a returning guest discount of $500 per family, so that will be a consideration for future trips, as well. I love the ABD trips we've taken, but I'm never going to treat them like they're the only game in town again.

I did indeed see Gibson's blog on their Alpine Magic trip. It looks great. This trip really looks fun for all of us.

I will be very interested in hearing how others' trips are this summer. I'm also interested in hearing from Dis members who decided to do Tauck or other tours this year instead of ABD - how do they compare, now that you've done both.

I'm planning on an Ireland trip for 2011. I've been (my distant family still lives there:) But I HATE driving places I'm unfamiliar with. I really want my kids to see where we are from- plus as a single parent I want to not have to worry about details as much as I can. I'm semi hoping for a Gateway trip- the scenery, ruins, and just generally going on vacation is what is important to us, But even if one isn't offered we'll still go.

This year will be spent in the heat, lol. A Disney cruise and a week at WDW (and Wizarding World of Harry Potter - CAN'T miss that!!)

I did indeed see Gibson's blog on their Alpine Magic trip. It looks great. This trip really looks fun for all of us.

I will be very interested in hearing how others' trips are this summer. I'm also interested in hearing from Dis members who decided to do Tauck or other tours this year instead of ABD - how do they compare, now that you've done both.

We have done both AbD and Tauck and I can tell you that one major difference is the guides. We really missed those AbD guides! The Tauck Tour Director was the exact opposite of what makes an AbD guide the best in the industry. However, we are taking another Tauck tour in May, so we're hoping that he was just an aberration. But, if our next guide turns out to be another dud, we're also taking the Knights & Lights and Alpine Magic trips in June, so we know we won't have anything to worry about then!

I am keeping my options open, I am going on the Alpine Magic Trip in June, that blog well the pictures were just awesome and I am looking forward to it. There are three other ABD trips that really interest me Italy, Ireland and Germany, and the Knights and lights semi interests me. I would love to see a trip to Japan that I would do in a heartbeat. One place I have wanted to go since I was a teenager is Austrailia but when I go (in three years when I retire that will be my present to myself) I won't be doing it with ABD, the ABD trip isn't long enough for me to sit on a plane for 27 hours. Tauck does a 20 day Austraila/New Zealand Trip and that interests me for the sheer length of it. I am taking a wait and see approach and see what 2011 brings.

Planning Backstage Magic for 2nd time in May or June...Just hoping they have tours operating around that time

I'm planning on an Ireland trip for 2011. I've been (my distant family still lives there:) But I HATE driving places I'm unfamiliar with. I really want my kids to see where we are from- plus as a single parent I want to not have to worry about details as much as I can. I'm semi hoping for a Gateway trip- the scenery, ruins, and just generally going on vacation is what is important to us, But even if one isn't offered we'll still go.

This year will be spent in the heat, lol. A Disney cruise and a week at WDW (and Wizarding World of Harry Potter - CAN'T miss that!!)

If ABD would offer an Ireland Gateway trip this year or next, I would seriously consider taking that one too. I think I would actually prefer to have a little extra time on my own in Ireland and we wouldn't have the language issue to get in the way.

DH and I are doing the 15-night Panama Canal Crossing with DCL and really want to add a "Behind the Magic" tour afterwards! I spoke with an ABD rep and she could not confirm anything, but it sounds like Disney will make sure the dates work out. DH and I are both really excited for the trip!

The Gateway trip to Costa Rica looks really good to me. I have always wanted to go there and it's the only Gateway trip that looks just as good as the regular trip. If we love our trip in July this may be a possibility for 2011.

DH and I are doing the 15-night Panama Canal Crossing with DCL and really want to add a "Behind the Magic" tour afterwards! I spoke with an ABD rep and she could not confirm anything, but it sounds like Disney will make sure the dates work out. DH and I are both really excited for the trip!
That sounds like a wonderful trip, combining the PC cruise with the Backstage Magic ABD! I think it's possible that we're going to see more & more coordination between ABD and DCL, since they are run by the same people now. Maybe they'll coordinate some with the Mexican Riviera cruises, also. It only makes sense, since they all use the Port of Los Angeles.

Sayhello

We just booked a house in St. John for 2011, does that count? :rotfl:

Actually, by doing that so early, we'll have that trip all paid for this year, which we hope will free up some funds for an ABD or some other tour in 2011. Ireland is high on my list...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter