Anyone lost overboard on DCL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cruise member went missing from the ship about a year and a half ago...presumably overboard, presumably by choice--although I'm not aware of any definitive proof of that.

That's the only one I'm aware of on DCL.

In the cruise industry in general, passengers going overboard is rare but not unheard of--not surprisingly, these are almost always intoxicated adults.

Thank you, just wondered.

G.

A cruise member went missing from the ship about a year and a half ago...presumably overboard, presumably by choice--although I'm not aware of any definitive proof of that.

That's the only one I'm aware of on DCL.

In the cruise industry in general, passengers going overboard is rare but not unheard of--not surprisingly, these are almost always intoxicated adults.

I was on the Queen Mary 2 in June 2004 and we had a man overboard. Our ship got delayed because of it and the tide was high coming back, we barely cleared the Verrazano.

The moderators earned their keep when the castmember went missing. The thread was FLYING, and there were wonderful, supportive comments, and some that were just terrible (one sticks in my mind, specifically, but I won't repeat... it was a horrific "joke"). I couldn't believe how fast comments came on then disappeared. Information can be great, but also can be abused. It was during that time that I learned a valuable lesson, that stuck with me since... if someone says something that raises my blood pressure, offer them good will (either in writing or in my mind) then move on, don't get into a heated debate... not worth it, really not.

Many years ago a teen jumped from deck 4 while the ship was in port. To say the least, the captain was NOT amused. That area of the ship has since been closed off.

Many years ago a teen jumped from deck 4 while the ship was in port. To say the least, the captain was NOT amused. That area of the ship has since been closed off.

I'm hoping his parents were even more upset by their son's behavior (I'm assuming a male teen) than the Captain.

Of course it was a male teen. He was caught when he appeared at the gangway soaking wet and tried to reboard the ship, although his KTTW swipe showed that he was already on board (since he hadn't swiped out). Sorry, don't know anything about the reaction of the parents.

Of course it was a male teen. He was caught when he appeared at the gangway soaking wet and tried to reboard the ship, although his KTTW swipe showed that he was already on board (since he hadn't swiped out). Sorry, don't know anything about the reaction of the parents.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the boy had to stay in his cabin the rest of the cruise.

It is very hard to go overboard by accident on these ships -- the railings are at about 4.5 feet height -- except for an unexpected BIG TILT you are not falling over --

It is very hard to go overboard by accident on these ships -- the railings are at about 4.5 feet height -- except for an unexpected BIG TILT you are not falling over --
Also, strong winds could be a factor. I've been on ships where the public outdoor decks were closed during high winds.

Woody

Yeah, my recollection was that the captain allowed him out of his cabin only for meals and only then under the direct supervision of his father. However, this was many years ago and my memory could be faulty.

Don't underestimate severe winds. They were able to break the Wonder's mooring lines at Port Canaveral Photos.

Woody

Yeah, my recollection was that the captain allowed him out of his cabin only for meals and only then under the direct supervision of his father. However, this was many years ago and my memory could be faulty.

I was on that cruise as well.....from what I understand he was basically under house arrest and not allowed out of the cabin unless accompanied by his parents. Funny it was brought up now....we were just discussing the incident with our kids (who remember it happening) last week.

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter