• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone know what the Poly cost in 1983?

tripplanner2

DIS Veteran
My dad just found travel documents from our family trip in 1983. We stayed offsite in a condo and he paid $169 per night. :scared1:

I said WHAT!!! we could have stayed at the Poly for that price. Does anyone know how much it was per night back then?

According to Birnbaum 1983:
Polynesian Village- $95 with garden view, $105 with pool view, $115 with lagoon view. Suites (all in the Bali Hai longhouse) $220-$250

FYI
Contemporary- $95-$105 in the garden wing, $115 tower. Suites $210 and $230 Garden wing and $280-$330 tower.

MickeyisanNDfan said:
According to Birnbaum 1983:
Polynesian Village- $95 with garden view, $105 with pool view, $115 with lagoon view. Suites (all in the Bali Hai longhouse) $220-$250

FYI
Contemporary- $95-$105 in the garden wing, $115 tower. Suites $210 and $230 Garden wing and $280-$330 tower.

I would love those rates NOW!!
:thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Who wouldn't?? I remember paying $129 a night in 1993!!! That was a FL resident rate but sheesh, not much more than what it was 10 years before that!! In 2003 it was at least 2 1/2 times more!

jwfla422 said:
Who wouldn't?? I remember paying $129 a night in 1993!!! That was a FL resident rate but sheesh, not much more than what it was 10 years before that!! In 2003 it was at least 2 1/2 times more!
They are still filling the rooms so peopl,e are paying it.

Our first trip to WDW was in Jan. 1985. We had a LV at the Poly for $140 (tax included). It was the most I had every paid for a room. It did prepare us for paying $185 a night in Hawaii later that year.

Fast forward to planning a trip with our children in 2000....I had major sticker shock. I kept saying the room was now about $340 a night and the only thing I was getting different was an older resort room. I couldn't understand it. :rotfl: We ended up staying at the BC that year.

I still have the receipt from our honeymoon in 1979 and know the Contemporary Tower with a view was a whooping $79 a night.

We stayed at the Polynesian for our honeymoon in October 1985. We had a lagoon view room and paid $120 per night.

OMG :scared1: I knew it sounded like a lot. No wonder why we never went back again and they felt the trip was so expensive.

We could have stayed at the Poly and been on the monorail, not rented a car. But instead they rented a Lincon Town Car, which is an upgrade, and paid $169 per night for a week. HOLY COW!!! :crazy:

My father went back to WDW for the first time in many years last year. He paid full price for his room at the FQ, about 135 per night (but did receive the free dining). Anywho the last time he was at Disney he stayed in the tower at the Contemporary for about 100/night.

Sounds nice now but it's all realitive to wages then too.

I know this is a little off topic and I am really dating myself but my 1st trip was in 1975 when I was 17. We stayed in a condo 5 minutes outside Disney for, are you ready. . .$125.00 for the entire week! There was only the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian was under construction. It was on that trip we "visited" the Polynesian and it was love at first sight. In 2002 that dream finally became a reality with the rate of $189.00/night for a garden view. We will be going back for our 4th visit to the Polynesian this summer and I try very hard not to look at the rate but the enjoyment I get from being there. By the way, on that very 1st trip in '75, we spent most of our time in the Buick Dealership getting the station wagon repaired but I still remember we had a wonderful time! :goodvibes

Lisa3 said:
I know this is a little off topic and I am really dating myself but my 1st trip was in 1975 when I was 17. We stayed in a condo 5 minutes outside Disney for, are you ready. . .$125.00 for the entire week! There was only the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian was under construction.

I am so sorry to be exact but the Grand Floridian didnt open until 1988/1989. Unless you meant that EPCOT was under construction? Sorry to be picky!

Lisa3 said:
I know this is a little off topic and I am really dating myself but my 1st trip was in 1975 when I was 17. We stayed in a condo 5 minutes outside Disney for, are you ready. . .$125.00 for the entire week! There was only the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian was under construction. It was on that trip we "visited" the Polynesian and it was love at first sight. In 2002 that dream finally became a reality with the rate of $189.00/night for a garden view. We will be going back for our 4th visit to the Polynesian this summer and I try very hard not to look at the rate but the enjoyment I get from being there. By the way, on that very 1st trip in '75, we spent most of our time in the Buick Dealership getting the station wagon repaired but I still remember we had a wonderful time! :goodvibes

I have only one question. Was it 1985 instead of 1975? The reason I'm asking is that the Grand Floridian opened in August 1988 and I don't think it would take that long to build a resort. I was just curious and I'm not trying to be mean or critical, just factual that's all.

Okay folks, I guess I am really getting old (LOL). My mom reminded me that we actually went in 1978 not 1975 (which means I'm really not that old). The message on the monorail system went something like, "We are now passing the future site of the newest Walt Disney World Resort The Grand Floridian." It's pretty bad when the Mom's memory is better than the daughter's! :rotfl2: See I really need that vacation this summer. :Pinkbounc

We paid $100 a night at The Polynesian Village Resort back in '84 with a stockholders discount.

By the way, the location of the Grand Floridian Resort was originally meant for the Asian Hotel which was suppose to be built in 1974. However, it never got started, partially due to the energy crisis of '73. the hotel would have had a Thai theme and the sketches look fabulous. There was even a road named Asian way that ran from a service area north of MK to the car care center south of the Poly that was changed around '86 to Floridian Way. The idea for the Grand Floridian came around '83, according to some info I have read on this topic. There were 2 other hotels that were originally planned, but never made in planning as far as the Asian did. Those were the Venetian and Persian.

Okay folks, I guess I am really getting old (LOL). My mom reminded me that we actually went in 1978 not 1975 (which means I'm really not that old). The message on the monorail system went something like, "We are now passing the future site of the newest Walt Disney World Resort The Grand Floridian." It's pretty bad when the Mom's memory is better than the daughter's! See I really need that vacation this summer.

DH says I really need that vacation. You folks are all right. The monorail message I refered to was actually in 1983 during our honeymoon visit. I am going to stop posting now since I can't seem to get my story straight and need to go look at the old photo albums tonight so I can remember my life! Heaven help my grandchildren someday when I tell them stories. I may not even remember visiting WDW by then! :sad2:

Yep, that's right. We went to WDW in April 2001 and bought annual passes for the 4 of us. We were going to buy hopper passes, but the AP rate at Riverside saved us $250 + we go AP's for all of us. I know I didn't need to get 4 and I would have saved more, but I figured, we'd maybe get another trip in well......

In July I found airfare on SW out of Albany for $36 each way....I couldn't believe it, we had to go, we couldln't afford not to ;) ....So we booked a 5 day trip between Thanksgiving and Christmas....I booked Riverside again at the AP rate.

Disney trying to boost tourism after 9/11 put out unbelievable Ap rates...We got $130/night. :cloud9:

My husband has a brochure from 1975, when his family went. To add on another night at the Polynesian was $48, and that included admission to MK.

Lisa3 said:

You know what, he said $169 per night but I bet it was $169 for the entire week. Now that was not a bad deal but $169 per night to stay offsite is just CRAZY. :crazy:

Lisa3 said:
DH says I really need that vacation. You folks are all right. The monorail message I refered to was actually in 1983 during our honeymoon visit. I am going to stop posting now since I can't seem to get my story straight and need to go look at the old photo albums tonight so I can remember my life! Heaven help my grandchildren someday when I tell them stories. I may not even remember visiting WDW by then! :sad2:

:rotfl2: this sounds like the same way i tell stories. :) ...but don't worry, when you get to grandparent age they just figure you are "eccentric" rather than nutty ( or so i am told by my family pretty much daily:rotfl: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter