Anyone know how/if Disney monitors possible sinkholes?

A very common issue in Florida.

Hard to estimate when the underground limestone will be dissolved due to high water levels. Florida is a swamp for the most part sitting on limestone with some areas more sinkhole active than others.

:earsboy: Bill

NOT what I wanted to read 4 days before heading to Orlando. Those poor vacationers though, glad everyone was alright!

I live in florida and hear about them quite often. There was in Tampa the house and one person were sucked in and deemed to unsafe to look for the guy.

A few months ago, I had a dream that part of Kidani Village was affected by a sinkhole a few days prior to our trip. When we tried to check-in at Jambo House, the cast member told us that my contracts were tied to Kidani, not Jambo, and, as a result, we were no longer part of the AKV family. It was a weird dream.

A few months ago, I had a dream that part of Kidani Village was affected by a sinkhole a few days prior to our trip. When we tried to check-in at Jambo House, the cast member told us that my contracts were tied to Kidani, not Jambo, and, as a result, we were no longer part of the AKV family. It was a weird dream.

This sink hole is about 3 miles (as the crow flies) from AKL/AKV.

Does insurance cover that?

The first sign of a sink-hole is a Cracked Wall. If you see them - something is up big-time!

Google Tiger Woods Sinkhole - his quadrillion dollar mansion is sinking and they are fixing it now! I think you are quite safe at WDW!

I was also wondering about insurance for sinkhloles. Who would pay for damages if a DVC resort was affected?

There was a geologist on one of the news shows this evening and said that the vast majority of the land that Disney owns sits on a totally different vein of geologic strata than the areas that are most effected by sinkholes.

There ARE some sinkholes on Disney property, but they are in areas that have not been developed.

You know that the Magic Kingdom is safe, it isn't built on ground level - and they had to dig down far enough to lay foundations for the utilidors, so likely would have hit a soft spot.

The geologist said that the reason why sinkholes have been worse this year is because it has been one of wettest seasons in a very very long time - the ceiling of the limestone caverns are OK as long as they are dry, but once they will up with water the limestone becomes soft and gives way to any weight above.

Fascinating and scary..... all at the same time!

There was a geologist on one of the news shows this evening and said that the vast majority of the land that Disney owns sits on a totally different vein of geologic strata than the areas that are most effected by sinkholes.

There ARE some sinkholes on Disney property, but they are in areas that have not been developed.

You know that the Magic Kingdom is safe, it isn't built on ground level - and they had to dig down far enough to lay foundations for the utilidors, so likely would have hit a soft spot.

The geologist said that the reason why sinkholes have been worse this year is because it has been one of wettest seasons in a very very long time - the ceiling of the limestone caverns are OK as long as they are dry, but once they will up with water the limestone becomes soft and gives way to any weight above.

Fascinating and scary..... all at the same time!

I think that it's safe to say that they don't know when or where a sinkhole will open up. If they did, they would restrict building and insurance companies would have no build areas. From 2009 to 2011 there were over 20,000 insurance claims filed in Florida due to sinkhole damage.

:earsboy: Bill

Most sinkholes are pretty small; maybe a few feet in diameter. Depth can vary quite a bit. If you want to scare yourself sleepless, Google "piping feature Guatemala." Technically, it's not a sinkhole, but it acts like one. Not much chance of developing near WDW, though, so don't worry about that.

I don't know of any way to monitor sinkholes unless you already know where they are. Like someone mentioned earlier, certain crack patterns can indicate foundation problems. Disney has a great property management program, so I can't imagine that they would miss something that would suggest serious underlying problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter