Anyone here live in Ireland?

Most people in USA have no idea how different the Covid experience is in other countries. Yes sure, I would love to help you with your trip planning to Ireland.

I don't know that is something particular only to those in the US. I think that is more of a shared circumstance worldwide.

thanks. the Ireland I know is very different to the Maeve Binchy books, I think many American tourists would get a shock if I took them on a very different tour of Dublin and Ireland, lol.

The Irish Government have started mandatory hotel quarantine for a list of countries and there are talks of USA being added to the list. The idea of the mandatory hotel quarantine is to deter tourists from coming to Ireland and to deter Irish people from going on holidays.

The local experience is what we're interested in, when we travel. If we ever make it there, I'll be looking you up for a tour.

Honestly, Tink, American people in State A often have don't even have an idea what the COVID experience is like in State B, let alone in any other country.

With the exception of getting on a non-stop flight to go overseas, the US presently has no national-level COVID rules at all, and it's confusing as hell. (Which is probably why most don't bother trying to understand what's going on in other countries -- most Americans probably figure they have more than enough to be getting on with to figure out the rules in the 3 states right next to them in various directions.)

PS: FWIW, my Ireland is probably a wee bit more Maeve Binchy than Tink's (insofar as any of that Ireland remains), as most of my family live *way* out in the **** end of nowhere in the Gaeltacht.

Last edited:

Any updates Bad Pink Tink?
We miss travel to Ireland.

We are being hit hard by Delta variant and our case numbers have hugely increased over the last few weeks. We are now at 60% of all eligible adults fully vaccinated and anyone over 18 can now get a vaccine either at a pharmacy, through their doctors surgery or at one of the vaccination centres.

The big news is that since 19 July we can now travel internationally to other European countries. This is because we are part of the EU Digital Vaccine Cert program. This means that everyone who is fully vaccinated will get a certificate, either by email or through the post with a QR code. I got mine about 2 weeks ago. The QR code can be added to our Covid Tracker App. This QR code will be checked at passport control at every EU country.

Ireland is also using this EU Digital Vaccine Cert QR code for indoor dining at all restaurants and bars. This becomes law from tomorrow Monday 26 July. To dine indoors now everyone has to show this QR code and Government issued photo ID. There is an App for restaurant staff to scan the QR code. The restaurants and bars are not happy about this, but its the only way they can reopen. Many have been closed since March 2020.

The Irish Government is also in talks to have this same system for weddings and possible other large gatherings of people.

We still have mask mandates for all public transport, retail and indoor places. We still have restrictions on many things, like sports, entertainment and other large gatherings of people. People are starting to go back to "normal" but very cautiously. People are travelling to European countries but its no where near the big numbers like before. Many Irish people are staying in Ireland for their holidays this year.

Working from home is still very much encouraged. This week I am going back to the office for the first time since March 2020 but its not going to be like before. I'm going to do a mix of being in the office and working from home.

How are things going, @BadPinkTink?

I am looking into traveling to Ireland in early May. I have been double-vaccinated, boostered, and am currently recovering from covid (got it at Disney Marathon Weekend), so I am not terribly concerned about catching or spreading it unless a new variant comes out by then, which is entirely possible, of course.

I can read what the official stance is regarding travel to Ireland, but I'm more interested in what the people's stance is about tourists. Are we wanted right now, or do we make natives uncomfortable? If the Irish people would rather have Americans stay away, I'd rather stay away.

I am looking into traveling to Ireland in early May. I have been double-vaccinated, boostered, and am currently recovering from covid (got it at Disney Marathon Weekend), so I am not terribly concerned about catching or spreading it unless a new variant comes out by then, which is entirely possible, of course.

I can read what the official stance is regarding travel to Ireland, but I'm more interested in what the people's stance is about tourists. Are we wanted right now, or do we make natives uncomfortable? If the Irish people would rather have Americans stay away, I'd rather stay away.

waves hi :)

Bookmark this page , it gives an overview of the current restrictions and requirements
Public health measures in place right now
From Department of the Taoiseach; Department of Health
Last updated on 14 January 2022

At the moment Ireland is going through a surge, we hit record highs of 23,000 cases in a 24 hour period a few days ago. This might not seem a lot but we only have a population of 5 million. Todays number is 17000 cases in the last 24 hours so it is starting to drop.

These are the current restrictions, which will be reviewed in February.

We still have mask mandates in all indoor public places, as well as on public transport.

All pubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres have to close by 8pm. You need proof of covid vaccine for pubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres. We use a digital Covid Cert on our phones which has a QR code. Its table service only (no counter service) with 1 metre between tables, a maximum of 6 adults per table and no multiple table bookings and no intermingling.

All indoor events such as sports events also close at 8pm, and before 8pm capacity is limited to 50% of venue capacity or 1,000 attendees, whichever is the lower.

Nightclubs are closed.

We are advised to limit household gatherings to no more that 4 households.

We also have a work from home if possible guidance.

To enter Ireland you will need to fill out a Passenger Locator Form 72 hours or less before arrival to Ireland.
Vaccinated or recovered travellers into Ireland are required to present evidence of a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) or other acceptable proof of vaccination/previous COVID-19 infection prior to travel
Travellers that are not vaccinated or recovered are required to present evidence of a negative ('not detected') RT-PCR test carried out no more than 72 hours before their arrival into Ireland, unless exempt.

There is very little tourists here. It is mainly Irish people returning from holidays who are coming into the country. We had a big influx of people at Christmas, people who live in America, UK and other countries visiting family.

People are mostly just going to work and going home. Before Covid January February time was always off season and many tourist places were closed.

St Patricks Festival is planning to return to proper events in March but they have not announced anything yet . That would be something to keep an eye on as to how things are in Ireland for tourists.

Its hard to tell you about how people feel about tourists, as its not something that most Irish people care about right now.

WOW, how considerate! I wish visitors headed for South Beach would ask those questions, LOL!

ETA: BTW, I'm being serious. Very nice of you to think about the people you would be visiting.

Last edited:
We were supposed to visit Ireland last fall but cancelled. At the time we planned to reschedule for this fall but have since decided to wait it out another year. Hopefully things will be back to normal by then.
BadPinkTink, I’ve been following your threads here and am grateful for you sharing information about what’s happening over there. Thank you!

We were supposed to visit Ireland last fall but cancelled. At the time we planned to reschedule for this fall but have since decided to wait it out another year. Hopefully things will be back to normal by then.
BadPinkTink, I’ve been following your threads here and am grateful for you sharing information about what’s happening over there. Thank you!

You are welcome. :) I would say summer time, May to September would be a good time to plan for during these Covid times. The Irish Government really pushed staycations in summer 2020 and 2021, the numbers were way down and the restrictions were eased. I would expect the same for summer 2022.

I've got a trip to be planned in that area (Ireland, then on to Norway to see family etc), and it's been postponed for years due to other issues, then COVID, so I'm getting antsy about it ever actually happening. I'm not getting any younger ;)

With things changing so quickly from month to month it's hard to know what to expect in May. I found a good fare that is flexible about date changes, so I'm going to go ahead and book; I'll hope for the best but be prepared to change my plans.

I have always wanted to see the beautiful Irish countryside, so even if some of the typical tourist attractions are closed, I'll enjoy myself. Of course, if the tourist attractions are closed, that's probably a sign that things are bad and I shouldn't come.

I know France had a 1k mandate for a little while last year, at least in some areas. It would be very smothering and I feel for anyone under those restrictions.

In 2018 I went to Ireland for a long weekend and loved it. We did 1.5 days in Dublin but the west coast was my favorite.

I know France had a 1k mandate for a little while last year, it would be very smothering and I feel for anyone under those restrictions.

In Ireland in 2020 we had a 2 km limit, then a 5km limit, then a county limit.

You are welcome. :) I would say summer time, May to September would be a good time to plan for during these Covid times. The Irish Government really pushed staycations in summer 2020 and 2021, the numbers were way down and the restrictions were eased. I would expect the same for summer 2022.

I can't even tell you how happy I am to hear that! My daughter is in the final stages of making her study abroad plans and I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping to join her for at least a bit of touring in Ireland. It'll be scaled down from the weeks-long Ireland & UK trip I wanted to do initially, but I'm hoping we can manage to get away for a week or ten days to see the major sites in the Republic.

I can't even tell you how happy I am to hear that! My daughter is in the final stages of making her study abroad plans and I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping to join her for at least a bit of touring in Ireland. It'll be scaled down from the weeks-long Ireland & UK trip I wanted to do initially, but I'm hoping we can manage to get away for a week or ten days to see the major sites in the Republic.

Just be aware that if The Irish Government do the same staycation push in the summer prices for hotels etc will sky rocket. The most popular places for staycations in summer 2021 were Kerry, Cork, Galway and Wexford. It was all over the media about how expensive it was to holiday in Ireland in the summer due to everyone doing staycations.

I did a week at a hotel in Dublin city centre and got a great deal, as Irish people were not staying in Dublin city centre for staycations and the usual high numbers of international tourists were not coming to Ireland.

Just be aware that if The Irish Government do the same staycation push in the summer prices for hotels etc will sky rocket. The most popular places for staycations in summer 2021 were Kerry, Cork, Galway and Wexford. It was all over the media about how expensive it was to holiday in Ireland in the summer due to everyone doing staycations.

I did a week at a hotel in Dublin city centre and got a great deal, as Irish people were not staying in Dublin city centre for staycations and the usual high numbers of international tourists were not coming to Ireland.

Thanks for the warning. I suppose if there is an upside to a shorter trip, it is more budget per day. And since it'll be our first time over there, we obviously want to see a bit of everything so spending time in tourism hotspots is unavoidable. Hopefully at least some of the places we want to hit in Donegal will be a little more off the beaten path. My family's roots are there so that's the part of the country I'm most interested in exploring.

Thanks for the warning. I suppose if there is an upside to a shorter trip, it is more budget per day. And since it'll be our first time over there, we obviously want to see a bit of everything so spending time in tourism hotspots is unavoidable. Hopefully at least some of the places we want to hit in Donegal will be a little more off the beaten path. My family's roots are there so that's the part of the country I'm most interested in exploring.
Where are you planning on going? Donegal is my wheelhouse; my Dad's place is there.

Where are you planning on going? Donegal is my wheelhouse; my Dad's place is there.

Sort of all over. Donegal town is as far back as I've been able to trace my genealogy, and I know they lived there for a short time just before coming to the States during the Famine. From family lore I know my great-great grandparents actually lived some distance outside of town, though I have no idea exactly where. But the county itself looks stunning and appears to have a lot in common with some of my favorite places in terms of natural environment, so that's where I'd like to get more off the beaten path to explore waterfalls and cliffs and beaches. I've only scratched the surface of an itinerary because with my mom sick I haven't had it in me to start really planning and get emotionally invested in a trip that is still a very, very big maybe. So far, I just have a few sites saved around Ardara and then of course Glenveagh National Park and Malin Head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter