• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone have any luck with Slim Fast?

kdibattista

<font color=darkorchid>It left an indent the size
I am tired of doing Atkins (although that is where I have had the most success) and I just want to try something different. Has anyone used it and had success?

I did for awhile but I got tired of it. When reading the lables on the Slim Fast you notice you can eat a Healthy Choice meal or a small bowl of cereal and a yogurt, etc.. I would rather eat a small amount and feel full compared to drinking an expensive Slim Fast. JMO.

I'm sort of looking for a new program myself :p I tried Slim Fast last year ... and I must be one of the only people to gain 10 pounds doing that. Go figure :rolleyes: I gave it a try since my coworker told me she lost 10 pounds on Slim Fast. I also wasn't too fond of the shakes (powdered or prepared).

I lost 20 pounds with SlimFast about 11 years ago, but that's when they had the microwave meals, soups, snacks, and the whole nine yards.

What is it that you're tired of with Atkins?

I would bet that if you switched from a low-carb plan to SlimFast, you would initially gain weight... all that sugar and those carbs in the shakes would certainly make you retain water at first, if not feed your fat cells somewhat.

If you really want to go to a shake diet (which is a quick fix, not a permanent fix...), why not stay low-carb? Carb Solutions and EAS both have good pre-made shakes, and there are a ton of flavors/brands in powdered shakes... they can be spiffed up with a little heavy cream, Splenda, DaVinci sugar-free syrups, or even berries. And, of course, there are more bars than you can count (though a lot of those leave something to be desired...).

I tried. They weren't filling at all and I tended to end up eating a bowl of cereal with it.

The capuccino delight ones are REALLY good. Tastes kind of like Starbucks.

If you are happy with the results of Atkins and how you are feeling then why not just tweak it a bit? You could do the Atkins shakes one or two meals a day (sort of like slim fast) and also fill in with lots of low carb veggies and meats.

Those slimfast shakes are filled with SUGAR!

Originally posted by wovenwonder

Those slimfast shakes are filled with SUGAR!

A lesson I learned too late ... *lol* ... they're expensive too.

I tried Slimfast shakes once, and gained weight on them! They are nothing more than a sugar-filled chocolate shake with some vitamins added!

Maybe you should try making your own shakes! I do this using Whey Protein Powder (I like Optimum Nutrition from GNC best), water, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa, Splenda, and ice in the blender! They are very good! You can add a tsp. of instant coffee to make a frappucino-type drink!

Originally posted by Rhonda
I tried Slimfast shakes once, and gained weight on them! They are nothing more than a sugar-filled chocolate shake with some vitamins added!

I'm glad I'm not the only one ... when I told my coworker she looked at me funny and said that I must be doing something wrong. I never ever thought to look at the ingredients and never thought about the sugar content.... :rolleyes:

I do this using Whey Protein Powder

Too much Whey protein can cause weight gain. :) Soy protein is the most recommended, it's used in a lot of protein bars, etc.

Too much of anything can cause weight gain.

Personally, I'm not sure about soy... with all the conflicting reports about it and thyroid problems, and the fact that soy products often have an "off" taste, I pretty much stick to whey or milk & egg protein for shakes and baking.

I've never had a problem with whey protein. It's the only kind I use, and I use it in shakes and I bake with it, etc. I'll keep it in mind though! Thanks! :)

I did slim fast steady for 2 months and lost a little over 15 pounds. This of course included drinking lots of ice cold water, light strength exercises 3 times a week, and treadmill or stationary bike for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I felt great. Don't skip the snacks, you need the calories for energy, especially in the beginning! I found that if I skipped the snacks I would end up cheating by the end of the day from being hungry.

On an average day I had a meal bar for breakfast, lite yogurt for a snack, shake and banana and Wow chips for lunch/snack. Then anything I wanted for supper, including pizza! I also took Friday's off......and I still lost the weight!

I just couldn't give up Pizza!!!! :)

I'm starting the diet again to lose some more weight!

It works if you follow the plan and stick with it!

I tried Slim Fast once while my DH was in Kuwait a few years ago. I thought it would be easy if he was gone. I was hungry all the time, I got headaches and didn't loose any weight.

Everyone is different though. Some people loose on WW's other's dont'. Some people loose on Atkins, other's dont. I really think it's an individual thing. Unless you try, you will never know.

I personally like eating too much to make drinking shakes a "life change". I couldn't imagine drinking them forever, but I can imagine eating Healthy with WW's, but adding more food back in.

Melanie

The Zone diet is where every meal is balanced: carbs-protein-fat. 40% of the meal's total calories come from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat. I think the food pyramid is more like 60-15-25. The book I have is called "The Formula: A Personalized 40-30-30 Weight Loss Program" and it has recipes. that book is based on The Zone Diet, written by Dr. Sears. But I like to think of my book as The Zone for dummies because it has recipes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter