Anyone Fly First Class?

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
I'm just curious if anyone here spends the extra money flying first class. Or if you only fly when upgraded or rewards points etc. Is distance a factor or do you always fly coach or first no matter what?

Sometimes, but really only for longer flights - to California, which for us is a six-hour flight for instance, and a few times to Europe. We have been fortunate to be upgraded to first class twice on flights to Florida - once to Orlando, once to Miami, both times on USAirways (now American) due to equipment issues and overbooking. Of course it is always a treat, but the time goes by quickly on shorter flights.

My family and I tend to fly first class on most flights and find it to be pretty good most of the time. We tend to fly United and every first class that I have been is is different. Sometimes first class is a massive upgrade from coach due to the seating and overall better service. But other times first class is hardly an upgrade at all and we feel that it wasn't worth it. Either way we tend to spring for it (especially on longer flights) because my mom and I are bad flyers and we tend to feel more comfortable with larger seating. :-)

I was redeeming frequent flier miles for one trip and noticed it would only be the equivalent of $50 more per person to upgrade DH and I on the way home from a week in Orlando (MCO to PHX). So I booked it that way but made it a surprise. He didn't know until packing up the last morning when we were discussing separating the liquids and I told him it didn't matter because the free checked bags came with First Class seats! He was excited.

That's the first time we have flown first class together, but we'll continue to look to see if it has value on longer trips, especially when it's just the 2 of us. I have to say it was nice to board the plane leisurely, eat a real meal, and relax in comfy seats on our way home. If I have to leave WDW, at least I did it in style!

PHXscuba

We do most of the time. Some routes are only serviced by single, coach class.

Is it worth it? There is too many factors for a one size fits all answer.

For us, it is. I am a planner and when I see a price that works, I book it. We are a tall family and the comfort the extra room provides is wonderful. Add in free bags, meals on most flights and a relaxed spouse and its worth it to us.

I've been upgraded in the past and loved it, but I usually just pay for coach when I'm flying in the US – albeit in the exit row to accommodate my 6'5" self. For my first trip to Europe and my second one coming up, however, I've spung for premium economy, which is a nice comfort/amenities boost for (IMO) a decent price. Not every airline has that, though, and it's usually just on longhaul flights.

We're going all out this trip. It's been 5 years since we've been on a family vacation. We're flying first class this trip. Me, DH, DS (who is 6'6" at 16 years old) and our DD. I had enough FF miles to make the trip from Minneapolis to MCO this summer. I remember when I was about my sons age and we got upgraded to first class. I thought it was so cool. So I figured that our kids were old enough to finally experience it. (DS=16, DD=11) as it might be something that they don't get to do for a long time again. Heck, this is the first time I have flown first class since that first time. So I'm actually giddy that we get the chance to do it.

We're going all out this trip. It's been 5 years since we've been on a family vacation. We're flying first class this trip. Me, DH, DS (who is 6'6" at 16 years old) and our DD. I had enough FF miles to make the trip from Minneapolis to MCO this summer. I remember when I was about my sons age and we got upgraded to first class. I thought it was so cool. So I figured that our kids were old enough to finally experience it. (DS=16, DD=11) as it might be something that they don't get to do for a long time again. Heck, this is the first time I have flown first class since that first time. So I'm actually giddy that we get the chance to do it.

I'm an inch shorter than your son, so believe me when I say he'll be VERY appreciative. :)

If you are very wealthy then 1st class is the way to go! For me, a $500-$600 upgrade fee on a $400RT is absurd.
I've only flown 1st class once. I was flying alone and they bumped me to 1st in order to fill seats with a family of 4 on standby. I got a bagel and a glass of orange juice and a comfy seat.

I flew from Phoenix to London and was in Business Class. Cost $200 more but company paid for it as coach was filled. Loved it for a 10 hour flight.

It depends on the length of the flight. If I'm going outside the US, I always book business class tickets. Inside the US, it depends on how long the flight will be.

DH and I are flying first class round trip to Disney next month. We flew last year 3 times first class and loved it. A first for both of us. I'm happy others spring for it too....I don't feel as guilty now! From San Francisco to Orlando it's $2504. It's 1k more than coach with extra legroom, and 1 suitcase each. This way we get to bring 2 suitcases each and I can fill them with gifts for the 3 grandsons!!
round trip for 2. The thought of having to excuse myself for my 10 bathroom trips while someone is trying to sleep in coach gets people aggravated. I wouldn't mind flying coach by myself, but it's fun flying 1st. when there's two!

Cross Country or International?
For me usually international. I can take coach across the country - usually five to six hours in the air. I fly LAX to MCO a couple of times a year and LAX to JFK even more often. But First or Business is a must if I'll be in the air longer than six hours.

I never have. I just don't want to double the cost of my fare...I'm 'frugal'!!! I'm flying Delta to Europe in the fall. My friend and I paid a bit extra for economy plus....a bit extra room, but not much. I figure that just a few extra inches will be enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!