Anyone ever move cross country with two cats?

We moved from the cold to the warmth, with a 19 hour drive from IL to FL a few years ago. Three adults, two large dogs, and three cats, in a Toyota Highlander, towing another car loaded up with stuff, while the moving truck brought everything else. It was TIGHT! But if you can find the humorous moments (there will be some!) and focus on those instead of the irritations, you will be fine.

We had the 3 cats in one of the large dog cages, and angled it in the car so the dogs could still lay down, though in an "L" position with each other. At rest stops, we would take out the dogs, let the cats out of the cage to roam the car, and provide them with a litter box and fresh water. Interestingly enough, the cats never used the litter box in the car, only when we would stop at hotels. They were too tense I suppose, but they weren't really a problem in the car, I suppose because the cats had each other, and on of us sitting in the seat next to the cage to provide reassurance when needed.

Pet friendly hotels are a must. We would rent two connecting rooms, and the cats would be in one room with a human and the dogs in the other, just so each species had their own space for a few hours. For my family, this is what works well.

We also split the drive into two hotel nights, just to make it easier on all of us. Left IL in the afternoon, drove about 6 hours, slept, drove again some hours the next day, slept, and then destination. If I can avoid adding grey hairs to my head, I will, even if I have to spend money on an extra night of hotels. Happy people and animals will help make for a happier experience.

There was another road trip that I just remembered (guess I put it out of my memory!). It was after my brother died, and we took in his cats. He lived in Georgia, we were still in IL at the time. A 12 hour drive. We brought home two traumatized cats in a large cage that one of my brother's friend's let us have. One of the cats cried for most of the ride. Nothing we could do to calm him, but just had to make the best of it. But, we knew the cats were stressed, so we couldn't blame them for being scared. After awhile, you grow immune to the cries and just keep driving, making sure to love on the cats during rest stops.

Good luck, stay calm, and try to find the humorous moments to carry you through the stressful episodes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter