• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever do the Trail Rides???

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
I am interested in setting up a Trail Ride for my daughters 10th birthday next time we are at WDW (JUly). If anyone has ever done this could you please tell me a little more about it?

Thanks

For my 40+ birthday I decided that I wanted to do the Trail Rides. I'd ridden in my younger years. However, my two children, 18 and 14, had only done "pony"rides. We made reservations for early in the morning when it is cooler. We decide to use the helmets they provided. (They really smelled.) They lead the horse up to a loading dock so you only have to sit on the saddle. The cowfolk look at each person, talk to them about their experiences on a horse, and decide what type of horse they need. The horses seemed to know their order. It is a very slow walking ride through a well traveled trail. The only speed I experience was when we were in sight of the paddock. I loved it and my kids have some wonderful stories to tell.
My DD (18) was given the horse with the most spirit. It walked right up to the gate when she got in the saddle. She was so excited since she had contacts and didn't want all the dust from the trail. Well her horse waited there and nipped most of the other horses as they went by. She was dead last. My son's (14) horse was so lazy. He was in the middle of the pack. Unless one of the cowgirls was coming up beside him he just plodded along. When he heard the cowgirl the horse would take off closing the gap between the horses. Now my DD had her own problems. They tell you not to let the horses eat anything along the trail. Her horse decided it was hungry. It would tear branches off the trees as they passed. Tried to pass other horses and nip them when he'd get close. Then he saw some delectable follage off the path. He went down on his forelegs and started eating. The cowgirl is yelling at DD to pull up but she had lost the reins. She got them back and pull the horse up. He continued to nibble all the way back. When we were back each horse waited and then went up to the docking area. The cowgirls had to pull my daughter's horse up to the docking area. We have had so many wonderful laughs over that ride. I loved it. Made me feel young...
There were young children on the ride and they made out fine. It is really are slow ride with (except for DD's horse) calm horses.
You can park in Fort Wilderness Campgrounds parking lot or take the Disney Bus you would use to go to River Country. There is small building near the barns. That is the place you check in. I think it is the same buiding that has the kennel.
Have a great time. You'll love it. We will be there mid July but my kids have informed me that we are not going horseback riding for my birthday. (July birthday, too) Maybe parasailing.....
:p :p :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :p :p

Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds as though my DD might be a little bored with this one! Now Parasailing is her style!!!!!!!

Nice chatting with you last night. When are you going in July? We will be at OKW July 22-27 then VWL 29-August 3.

As I said DD won't do another trailride. Just read that on another board that the price for the ride has gone up to $32 a person???
We will be at BWV 7/13 to 20th (called member services today and was able to add on the 13th and 14th) and OKW 7/20 to 8/6. (studio) As I said my kids are 16 and 20 (almost 21), this might be the last long vacation we will have since DD is finishing college and son wants to get a summer job. I teach so the only other times we can go - Christmas (which I love - we have decorated windows and outside the room with lights.) and Easter.
Are you going to the meet at OKW? Can't wait to meet other Dis members.

Yes Gofenmom we will be a the OKW DIS meet on July 23. My DD's are younger than yours (9, oops 10 when we get there, 5, 3). Looking forward to meeting others.

See ya all soon. Great you were able to add on the your vacation. I was just talking with my DH and if we decide to drive we will leave on July 19 and if we can get on a flight (we fly free!!) we will leave on July 20! We will probably stay off site since our check in at OKW is the 23rd!!!

I love it Christmas time at WDW that's my favorite time. I am hoping to get back sometime in Dec. as my DD has a long weekend due to teachers inservice day!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter