Anyone ever book SPR and then...

Mjasp

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever book SPR and then get changed to a "regular" category 10 inside room?

Joanna

I guess not.
I hope not cause we booked a SPR for our upcoming Cruise.

Yes, it happen to me on my cruise March 2nd 2002. I booked 13 months in advance the room 5520. One week before departure, on my docs it was indicated 7501. I was very angry.... It was a mistake between Vacation Air Canada and DCL. There was nothing that I can do. Everything was booked.

Upon return I made a complaint and received a 300 $ credit for a futur trip. I apply it on my next cruise.

So you can see, it can happen....

I booked with my TA via Air Canada vacations. My TA was surprised that I didn't have my SPH.

DCL and Air Canada vacations don't recognized that 5520 is a SPH. It is a cat. 10 only. But I send picture of the room (thanks to BARB and her wonderful site) and base on that they gave me a 300 $ credit.

OK, I give up. :o I'm a newbie here on the cruise board. :wave:

Can anyone help me out here? What do SPR and SPH stand for? :)

Thanks

SPH and SPR are the same rooms. It stands for Secret Port Hole Rooms.

They are category 10 rooms on deck 5, that have a porthole but it also has an obstructed view. Some rooms are more obstructed than others. There are six rooms 5020,22,24 and 5520,22,24.
I am pretty sure they use to be category 8's but were changed to cat. 10's after complaints of the obstructions.
You can go to www.castawayclub.com to see pics.

Joanna

That is a good question, Mjasp! We have 5520 booked, and I have wondered the same thing. I think that I have heard of just one person who DCL changed them. I do not think it happens very often at all. And, I hope not! That is, unless DCL wants to upgrade us to a nice verandah! :p

Posted by Wishing On A Star:
I hope not! That is, unless DCL wants to upgrade us to a nice verandah!

You took the letters right off my keypad!! I was just thinking the same thing:)

Unfortunately, they didn't upgrade me. I lost my SPR 5520 and I was still in a cat # 10.

So be aware that it can happen.....

Originally posted by momofofo22
Unfortunately, they didn't upgrade me. I lost my SPR 5520 and I was still in a cat # 10.

So be aware that it can happen.....

Why would they move you from one category 10 to a different one? What is the benefit to them? Did they need 2 connecting rooms and yours was one next to another available one? I had no idea DCL could change your rooms without discussing it with you first, unless you did not have a guaranteed room when booked. :rolleyes:

5520 is not a connector. Was 5520 on your original reservation?

I hope DCL is like the tag fairies. VERANDAH, VERANDAH, VERANDAH. By the way, I clicked my heels 3 times as I typed that.

Joanna

we have had secret porthole room booked 4 time and all 4 times we got the room except the one time we upgraded at the port
it can happen but i bet it does not happen very often
peter

Hi Peter...I would be very happy with the SPR. After all that is what I booked. I can't see them upgrading a SPR, then others (not from the DIS) would think category 10's have windows if they are put in a SPR.

Joanna

Verandah... Verandah... Verandah!!!! click-click-clicK!!! LOL!!!!

I too will be very happy with my SPR!!! They say to book the category that you will be happy with - and that we did. I always told DH that I could just never cruise in a cabin that didn't have at least have a porthole... So, on our budget, the SPR along with the early booking savings... that is what allowed us to book this cruise!

It looks like that what happened to Momof22 may have been a problem with her TA working with DCL... Not common practice by DCL... I have indeed heard of a very few people who have ended up in different staterooms than they had thought. But with the SPR's I am not sure I have ever heard of that.

We booked thru DU and I am counting on if there is any change or upgrade that my TA will email me right away!

I can confirm you that the problem wasn't my TA.

They investigate my case and it was a communication problem between Vacation Air Canada and DCL. I don't know what they miss to communicate because I did my payments on time. I book in February 2001 and they change the room in August 2001....

I guess I will never know all the story but it is very weird...and I wasn't upgrade.

They changed my SPH 5520 at the port but move us to a regular category 8 next door (5518).

Tlens...Then technically that was an upgrade, OK I could deal with that.

Wishing on a star...You must tell me how you like the SPR when you return. what room # are you in.

Joanna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter