Anyone else get "stinky" Disney luggage?

Great I have a strong reaction to chemical smells I guess we will try the sun and febreeze them. I bought two sets arriving on Monday for a Friday departure.

DisneyMomx7 said:
I use the ziploc bag method for packing - do you think that would keep the odor off the clothes? QUOTE]

Ok, OT here, but what is the "ziplock" method? Curious minds want to know! :teeth:

Caitsmama said:
DisneyMomx7 said:
I use the ziploc bag method for packing - do you think that would keep the odor off the clothes? QUOTE]

Ok, OT here, but what is the "ziplock" method? Curious minds want to know! :teeth:

:rotfl:

It's when we pack individual outfits in 1 or 2 gallon sized ziploc bags. You end up with a suitcase full of ziploc'ed outfits which makes it eay to grab one and go... also, you can put the dirty stuff back into the Ziplocs to take home without smell. :banana:

I was afraid to mention the smell, after I already commented on what I thought about the construction of them LOL. We use large ziplocs for everything, after someones aftershave spilled on our old luggage a bit ago, so my clothes are safe. It's been over a year and mine still have the odor...just not as strong.

what? you guys didnt know about the straight-out-of-the-box smell?? :lmao: I work at a place where we get a lot of stuff shipped to us. I think is the cardboard and certain plastics. I did get a scrapbook tote a few months ago and it had that smell. I left it out and open and eventually it fades. Packaged paper also has that smell.

It's so funny you guys are commenting on this.

My husband and I have purchased two large luggage/duffle bags from BJ's and both had this same odor - musty, cigartettes, oil. Weird!

We put fabric softner inside for a few days to let it air out.
Febreeze is another great idea!

Caitsmama said:
DisneyMomx7 said:

Ziploc bag method is so great, at least for us. I pack everything in the ziploc bag, outfit, socks, underwear and for the girls the hair accessory. No more searching for things in the morning or have the kids put together "mismatched" outfits. Its so easy even DH was able to get two of the kids dressed in January without them looking like clowns. (I had the flu, and if you knew DH you would be shocked that the kids actually looked presentable, I'm surprised they weren't wearing their pajamas to MGM).

It just makes things easier in the AM when you're rushing to get to the parks!

We are leaving for disney in one week. If i.. smell ..any of you i will say HI!!! :p

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

pssssssssst.....one of my new rolling duffles has that smell. All of you might smell me! :teeth:

It must not be the luggage, it must be the bags they used for inidividually wrapping everything.

I ordered the car organizer, the steering wheel cover, the hitch cover (which is huge BTW), the laptop bag, 2 pairs of shorts and 3 Pooh items and they are stink!

I got mine a few weeks ago. I opened them up but didn't notice any such smell, and I have a VERY sensitive nose.

Now I'm worried about the princess sets I bought as gifts. :guilty: I didn't open those up at all.

I better go home and check them tonite.

I don't think I've ever noticed this smell problem on anything I've ordered. And I would surely have noticed. NO smell gets by this nose! :rotfl:

FWIW, I recently researched bags and ordered some from eBags and the same smell you all are referring to was present in my new luggage set as well. In my research I saw a lot of reviews of luggage from a few different places that mentioned the petroleum-ish smell...so I think it is something with new, inexpensive, luggage. (I didn't research expensive luggage, but I would hope that if I had spent 2-3 times as much that I wouldn't have had to air it out!)

Instead of Febreeze, try Natures Miracle for an odor neutralizer.

It's acutally used to get out pet smells but it's great for a neutralizer. It can be purchsed at a pet store. I use it on my curtains, sofa, carpet, etc... It doesn't cover the odor up for it to come back. It really makes it go away. With Febreeze, i think it tries to cover it up but then the smell eventually comes back (maybe just not as strong).

I originally used it one time for an accident that my dog had.

Then a friend came buy and sat on our coach and it smelled of smoke once he left (we don't smoke or allow it in our house). I was so ticked and searched around the house for something to use. I read on the bottle that it was a neutralizer and could be used on a lot of things. I had nothing to loose so I gave it a try. Best stuff I ever purchased. I always make sure I have some on hand. It comes in a regular bottle or spray bottle.

Got my luggage yesterday, but didn't notice any powerful smell....

Well, at least we will all smell together! So if you smell us or we smell you we'll be sure to say "Disney Luggage, huh!?" :lmao:

ktglads said:
The cigarette smoke would be possible if your delivery person smoked in his/her truck. This could cause the boxes and items in there to smell like smoke as well. It happens to me every so often when there is a temporary mail carrier who smokes in his truck

This is the problem i have with every delivery that comes on the mail truck. He smokes a CIGAR of all things! i asked at the post office if mail truck drivers are allowed to smoke with all that mail in the truck and he said, sure they are! i was surprised there wasn't some kind of law against it :rolleyes: , but there isn't. My son said he noticed the luggage smelled "like the mail guy". I also schedule pick ups for my ebay sales (same guy) and was worried that my buyers would complain but no one ever has. I never complained any further, the guy is such a nice guy but all his mail stinks! ;)

I ordered the scrapbook case from them and it was smelly :sad2: It took awhile for the smell to gho away. I had it personalized and I loved the way it looked or I would have sent it back!

Well I didn't notice any smell when I opened mine the other day, so I went and sniffed them, and yep there is a smell to them, but it doesn't seem to bad. Out in the sun they go.

Also, you all almost got me in trouble for buying the Mickey luggage set, luckily dh liked how they looked and the price. :thumbsup2

Although now he thinks we won't be able to find our luggage at MCO since everyone else will have Mickey luggage. I told him Magical Express gets to worry about that. :rotfl2:

Just got my luggage today :banana: and did notice a slight chemical smell to it. I'm going to Scotchguard it and let it sit open until I pack for our trip to Key West next month :sunny: . I'll give it a spray of Febreeze if it's still a little stinky ::yes:: .

Yes! I posted about this yesterday on the ohter thread about the luggage!!! I had mine in the dining room and had to move it down to the basement in hopes it airs out soon!!!!! :sunny:

I am going to try the sun tip and then the Nature's Miracle, if needed. Luckily, we have to OCt!!!

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter