Anyone else already nursing sick kids after *just* starting school?

That is awful, I'm sorry. Cyber school did NOT work well for my special needs son. He thrives in the structured environment of school and needs the social interactions.

I am grateful my boys don't have covid this time, but that just makes it a possibility later in the year since they haven't yet had it. Hoping they can dodge it until the new vaccines are available this fall. They don't need to miss even more school after all this.

I am taking my younger son to the doctor today. He is having chest pains and heavy coughing with blood streaked mucus. Sigh. This flu is kicking his butt.
Oh no! I'm so sorry your son is sick, that sounds awful!

Cyber is definitely not a good fit for most kids with special education needs, I worked in special education for years as a teacher's aide and behavior tech so I'm trained to provide the support she needs at home, the problem is that I work and it's not ideal because we have to put off schoolwork until late in the day when she is tired and you know as well as I do that learning is just harder later in the day, her brain just checks out. It's a shame the schools don't have the resources to provide better accommodations for kids with special needs that are virtual, I'm not working for the school district anymore but through Covid the accommodations they were having us make for virtual students were a joke.

Oh no! I'm so sorry your son is sick, that sounds awful!

Cyber is definitely not a good fit for most kids with special education needs, I worked in special education for years as a teacher's aide and behavior tech so I'm trained to provide the support she needs at home, the problem is that I work and it's not ideal because we have to put off schoolwork until late in the day when she is tired and you know as well as I do that learning is just harder later in the day, her brain just checks out. It's a shame the schools don't have the resources to provide better accommodations for kids with special needs that are virtual, I'm not working for the school district anymore but through Covid the accommodations they were having us make for virtual students were a joke.

my bf works in speech therapy for a school district. despite having gone back to in person instruction as soon as the district was legally allowed to the bulk of speech therapy is still being done virtualy b/c the district found it is cheaper to hire out of state contractors (but licenced within their state). she is devastated at the reduced level of services, has had many wonderful co-workers retire long ahead of planning to out of sheer frustration :mad: :(

i so feel for all parents of school age kids these days but esp. for those w/kids who have challenges with socialization. my youngest is on the spectrum and b/c of covid had to drop some classes he was taking at the community college-now we are dealing with him having developed agorophobia b/c of the isolation (online socialization is no match for in person).

keep strong everyone.

Ugh. This blows! School JUST started last Thursday. Sunday morning my youngest started complaining of chest pain and a cough. He napped and woke up later in the day absolutely burning up with fever and feeling awful. Of course I figured it was covid and we began taking precautions and separating him from his older brother (they share a room and neither has had covid yet). Later that evening, he threw up. Covid test was negative. He has a super severe sore throat and it's now day 3 of fever.

Fast forward to today. Older son woke up feeling sick to his stomach and went back to sleep only to wake up to throw up. He is in the adult transition program for special needs adults so he is now missing the first full week of that after going for only 3 days.

I actually don't think it's covid, though. Younger sons three tests have all been negative. I did take him yesterday to the CVS drive thru for a combination Flu/Covid PCR tests so we are waiting on those results.

Is anyone else dealing with kids illness this soon after school starting up again? Seems too early for flu, but at this point, it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to viruses in circulation.
School hasn't started here yet.
I do believe that there will be lots of rounds of illnesses in schools this year, since this is really the first time (at least around here) that kids are back in school 100% in person, and with no masks and no social distancing. Since they haven't had that close in person contact without masks for the last couple of years, I think everyone is going to be more likely to catch everything.

School hasn't started here yet.
I do believe that there will be lots of rounds of illnesses in schools this year, since this is really the first time (at least around here) that kids are back in school 100% in person, and with no masks and no social distancing. Since they haven't had that close in person contact without masks for the last couple of years, I think everyone is going to be more likely to catch everything.

Our kids were back 100% last year and masks dropped around March? My kids remained healthy the rest of the school year, thankfully.

My older son is finally returning to his program today. Younger one needs a day or 2 more at home because he ended up with pneumonia and is still coughing heavily. At one point last Thursday my older son spiked a 106 fever! Yep, 106. It was super scary, but we eventually got it down and he was prescribed Tamiflu that day which has helped him recover very quickly without complications.

And thankfully, masking around them prevented my husband and I from catching the flu from them. I did NOT want any of that.

despite our best efforts/precautions-the remaining members of our household all now have covid :(this thing kicks you in the butt!!!!! i've never felt so physically exhausted in my life. interesting thing is-the person who would have had the greatest exposure (dh) has the lightest symptoms and i can't help but wonder if that's because he is the single member of our household who got a different type of vaccine than the others.

despite our best efforts/precautions-the remaining members of our household all now have covid :(this thing kicks you in the butt!!!!! i've never felt so physically exhausted in my life. interesting thing is-the person who would have had the greatest exposure (dh) has the lightest symptoms and i can't help but wonder if that's because he is the single member of our household who got a different type of vaccine than the others.

Ugh. Sorry! Covid wasn't too bad for me during the acute phase, but the tirednes kicked my butt for a good 3 weeks afterwards, and I had some crazy high heart rates during very mild exertion (154 bpm while strolling slowly for 5 minutes outside). I didn't feel back to 100% until like 4 weeks post testing positive.

I’m vaxxed and boosted, my five-year-old son had his primary series and is due for his booster in a couple weeks. Covid is crushing us. We’re 10-12 days into this and are both still running fevers, hacking coughs, eye infections that keep flaring, etc. My husband, vaxxed and boosted, has complained occasionally over the past week of his ears feeling clogged but is otherwise asymptomatic and testing negative. My two-year-old, having had 2 out of 3 vaccines in the primary series for his age group, had fever and cough for a couple days around the same time the rest of us were coming down with it but he was back to normal in no time. We all had Pfizer vaccines.

I’m vaxxed and boosted, my five-year-old son had his primary series and is due for his booster in a couple weeks. Covid is crushing us. We’re 10-12 days into this and are both still running fevers, hacking coughs, eye infections that keep flaring, etc. My husband, vaxxed and boosted, has complained occasionally over the past week of his ears feeling clogged but is otherwise asymptomatic and testing negative. My two-year-old, having had 2 out of 3 vaccines in the primary series for his age group, had fever and cough for a couple days around the same time the rest of us were coming down with it but he was back to normal in no time. We all had Pfizer vaccines.
Are you you using antibiotic eye drops? Both my children had concurrent eye infections with and around Covid and used drops to control it. I don’t know if it was a coincidence or from Covid, but it did benefit from the drops.

Are you you using antibiotic eye drops? Both my children had concurrent eye infections with and around Covid and used drops to control it. I don’t know if it was a coincidence or from Covid, but it did benefit from the drops.
We are. The doctor said she thought it was unlikely to be a bacterial infection when my son presented with the pink eye and thought it was probably part of the viral process from Covid, but she prescribed antibiotic drops just to be on the safe side. I’m not sure if the drops are helping or not. My son’s eyes initially got worse, then improved, then seemed completely clear, then flared up again for a day, and are now seeming fine again. My eyes started up with it a couple days ago and are no better or worse after treating with the drops, but I plan to continue to use them for the full course.

It seems like that's half my FB feed right now - stomach bugs and flu and covid and strep, from the same people who were just posting first day of school pics. We don't start for another week and DD is in high school so hopefully our house will be spared the plagues my friends with elementary schoolers are enduring at the moment.

We don't start for another week and DD is in high school so hopefully our house will be spared the plagues my friends with elementary schoolers are enduring at the moment.

I thought we were past those day too, but unfortunately not. The one who brought home the flu is an 11th grader.

Is everyone who’s dealing with flu/strep/stomach bugs just starting the mask free school? We were normal social distance school last year and dropped masks in March so I’m hoping we don’t have a super crazy flare of sicknesses like you all are. I expect some yucks from starting school, but you’re all sound like you’re describing worse than usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter