Anyone else a germ freak???

meganbear

Mouseketeer
I always hate to stay in hotels, just because I'm always so freaked out about germs. I hate to even touch the bedspread (does anyone even know how often they get washed???). Now, I'm not so freaky around my house--after all they are 'my' germs, but just something about strangers germs worry me! :eek:

Anyone else like me---or am I just crazy??? :crazy:

Also, IF there are others like me, what do you do to make the room 'feel' cleaner?

I get a little freaked by the bedspread. I pull it off the bed and don't want to touch it's upper side. I will not stay in any place that seems to be unclean. I always chose a hotel that I am sure will be clean...large well know name brands .

I travel a lot for business so I have pretty much gotten over the germ thing.

You do what you can to be careful but other than that much more you can do. You can wipe down surfaces with Lysol, etc.

I am more concerned about getting to the hotel, with airline security, lost bags, safe neighborhood, etc. If the room is not clean I complain to the front desk. I do pick nice hotels while on the rod.

I have never got sick from a trip to a motel room.

I agree about the bed spread the first thing that goes when I enter the room, other than that mousekeeping seems to do a good job, and you can always bring your own Lysol or Clorox disinfecting spray.

What ever you do, don't read the bed bugs thread or you will, well, let's not speculate!

Two great suggestions from these boards - ask for an extra top sheet (for each bed) and add it above the blanket - ends those hebbie jeebies for me

Also, bring an extra ziploc and slip the remote inside - again, quick and easy!

Last, close your eyes when using the bathroom so you won't look in those nooks and crannies...

Now if you have kids, they will touch whatever you say not to and then rub it somewhere else...adds to the excitement!

Relax and enjoy!

(Have to add that I have never seen more bleach and toothbrush cleaning as was done by my room steward on the Disney Wonder - actually avoided all heebie jeebies!)

Barb

Oh YES ?I am a huge Germ phobe!!! I always bring lysol with me. And after my last hotel stay in Tampa I will never leave a bedspread on my bed again!! (Dont read my thread "why I will never complain about a Disney hotel again" you will really get freaked out!!)

yes tnkrbell, I doubt we would find dead bodies in halls at Disney but one never knows. What a nightmare you had. That was shocking.

I think you'll be okay as long as you bring a can of lysol...I just spray everything down with it (Dbf thinks I'm nuts, but it makes me feel better) and try to avoid laying, sitting on or touching the bedspread...If you really want you could call mousekeeping and ask for a freshly cleaned bedspread...

Wow, I think you & I are twins separated at birth! I am a complete nervous wreck about germs in hotels & other people's homes.

We rarely go anywhere but Disney, so I feel pretty comfortable that the rooms are OK, but only after I've sprayed the beds & pillows down with Lysol fabric spray (kills germs and leaves the sheets & pillows smelling fresh and clean - - no heavy odors). I've also been known to take Soft Scrub and give the bathtub & sink a quick cleaning. My husband just laughs.

Even more insane: I re-wash all of our un-worn clothes after a trip.

Last month we stayed at OKW and it was basically pretty clean, except that the ceiling vent above the closet had about three years worth of cob webs entangled in it :eek: , so I took the broom from the closet, cleaned the vent, and put the broom outside the room for the entire week. That was really my only gripe.

And I never, NEVER lie on the bedspreads.

It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one here! :crazy:

We carry the small bottles of Purell in our backpack when going to the parks (we were just there in Jan04 and I was terrified of DD3 getting the flu - not that the Purell would stop it, but it made me feel better). Even more ridiculous, I bring those pop-up Clorox wipes to clean the remote, wipe down the toilet, counters, door knobs, etc. at the hotel.

It's amazing I find time to visit the parks I'm so crazed cleaning the room!

You can buy the Lysol wipes too. I use them on the toilet.

it's my understanding that blankets and bedspreads do not get washed very frequently. i'm a big freak about this, too. i pull them off the beds and leave them in a corner and tell houskeeping not to bother to make the beds while we're there. if we're driving, we pack a bag with a few blankets so i can snuggle in peace.

lately, however, at more accomodating places like disney, i'll request that ALL the bed clothes be freshly laundered before we arrive. i do have a cat allergy, so i simply mention my allergy and ask that all the linens be newly washed. (i really am so allergic that if the previous guests owned a cat, the residue from their clothes would set me off even though the cat itself had not been there!)

i believe that if there's a reason to, if asked they'll also do a "VIP" clean of a room prior to guest arrival. one person at special reservations (for reserving rooms for people w/special needs) once told me that they once had to clean a whole room with nothing but vinegar and water for a guest with allergies to many cleaning products.

gotta love disney! can't see most hotels being willing to do that.

I never used to be as bad as I am now - I think it's all the threads I read here. I do beleive that in this case, ignorance is bliss! I've always been very particular regarding the cleanliness of the room (it's why we stopped staying at the GF and moved to the BWI), but know I'm freaking out about everything from bedbugs to dirty bedspeads.

And I thought I was the only one who carried Lysol with me! I told my DH that we will have a hefty anti-germ bag to take with us when we go to the Swan. My one saving hope is that since it is newly renovated, it can't be that bad, right?

I never thought about the plastic bag on the remote, CLEVER!

Does anyone fear having their bare-feet touch the floor or am I over the top?

Has anyone noticed a difference in cleanliness on concierge floors?

And I thought I was the only one who carried Lysol with me! I told my DH that we will have a hefty anti-germ bag to take with us when we go to the Swan. My one saving hope is that since it is newly renovated, it can't be that bad, right?

I never thought about the plastic bag on the remote, CLEVER!

Has anyone noticed a difference in cleanliness on concierge floors?

Oh, how I suffer. It's bad enough that I am a germ freak, but compounding that, my husband isn't. We are really on opposite poles. So, I decided to get the professional opinion and ask my doctors. My rheumatologist said if there were an M&M on the floor, he'd be the first one to dive for it. My husband offered to put him in his will! Then my internist said that the rheumatologist was wrong.....way wrong! She believes that I need to engage in vigorous protection and she herself carries around hand wipes. What to do, what to do? :confused:
Lucy's Mom

Well now I see there are others just like me! I have every intention of bringing a can of lysol as well.

Yep, I can't stand that either! I always try to wear shoes in the room (or flip flops).

I am very germaphobic. I use my antibacterial hand cleaner religiously. I have been made fun of a few times but I really don't care. I will not read those bed bug threads because I know I would get freaked out. I will not touch the bedspread. I don't even like to talk about what nasty germs could possibly be lurking. Yuck!!! :eek:

At the BWI, the concierge floor is spotless. I have never stayed in a regular room at the resort, but I've stayed in both at the GF. The Royal Palm Club (concierge) was way cleaner than the lagoon view room. I've heard that the best housekeepers work on the concierge floors at all hotels, not only in WDW. Our housekeeper at the BWI went above and beyond - the room was perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter