• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone done the math on points as liability to DVC

My contract/deed refers to me owning a specific percentage of a specific unit which is only represented by points. Total points for that unit for the entire year can not change, but they can change how they are allocated within seasons and room types in that unit. Since that deed was created before the treehouses there are no treehouses in that unit so that unit's total points can not be changed because of a change at the treehouses.

They aren't allowed to swap points between units because that is what members legally own a percent of.

There is NOTHING in your contract which prevents this the reason is bit convoluted, Your 'unit' is the SOURCE of your points so your 1/48'th of a broom closet on the 3'rd floor (yes this was one of my contracts) grants you 100 points to spend within the DVC system this cannot change unless the room is destroyed or significantly modified.

However It's DVC's management arm which sets the PRICING of rooms in points, So as long as the total points do not change for the resort as a whole with legitimate changes being destruction of units or in this case new units being added (The THV's) now new points have been added to the resort DVC is perfectly free to change the room pricing including changing points in room categories as long as the number of points remains constant.

Back in 2019 and this year DIsney has created Faux points which were never declared into the resort but are made up of whole cloth and those points only serve to devalue members points.

My contract/deed refers to me owning a specific percentage of a specific unit which is only represented by points. Total points for that unit for the entire year can not change, but they can change how they are allocated within seasons and room types in that unit. Since that deed was created before the treehouses there are no treehouses in that unit so that unit's total points can not be changed because of a change at the treehouses.

They aren't allowed to swap points between units because that is what members legally own a percent of.

The point you are missing here is even though SSR and THV are marketed separately, THV is part of SSR so they are the SAME resort. Just as Jambo and Kidani though two physically separate resorts are collectively AKL and hence from a DVC points standpoint the SAME resort.

Some room classes only exist in ONE of the resorts but from a DVC view they are the SAME just as THV is part of SSR but the only room class there is the THV which is not quite a GV. That said I'm really glad they brought the THV's back - I stayed in the 80's in the 'original treehouses' and a fun fact Disney Imagineering actually built a community of treehouses in Hilton Head for a developer who was looking to construct hurricane/flood resistant vacation homes. They succeeded. The development is called 'Treetops'

But do we know for sure when the treehouses were added that they were not added to previous units? Or, were they declared as seperate?

The only other thing that makes swapping points potentially possible is if the points being swapped are still owned by DVD. Yes, any deeded interest to an individual in a certain unit can not be changed.

I am just not sure that adjustments can’t be made if all is still owned by DVD. But, as I mentioned earlier, units still have to have points assigned to them that match the rooms in that unit when determining points for sale

as part of the same resort which the treehouse villas are as both are considered SSR. That one was legitimate by the rules because it did not create a change in total resort points, Unlike all the other recent changes which have inflated resort point totals
No, it wasn't legitimate. But no one complained and they got away with it.
With the 2020 point charts they reallocated points from the Poly bungalows to the studios and at CCV from the cabins to the other units, but they rolled that back too after the complaints.

No, it wasn't legitimate. But no one complained and they got away with it.
With the 2020 point charts they reallocated points from the Poly bungalows to the studios and at CCV from the cabins to the other units, but they rolled that back too after the complaints.
How is it different from when Kidani was added to Jambo and both becoming AKL ?

But do we know for sure when the treehouses were added that they were not added to previous units? Or, were they declared as seperate?

The only other thing that makes swapping points potentially possible is if the points being swapped are still owned by DVD. Yes, any deeded interest to an individual in a certain unit can not be changed.

I am just not sure that adjustments can’t be made if all is still owned by DVD. But, as I mentioned earlier, units still have to have points assigned to them that match the rooms in that unit when determining points for sale

Actually we do know that, THV points were declared into SSR so no changes were made to EXISTING contracts - this was new construction which added to the size and point inventory of SSR by creating new units for sale.

Actually we do know that, THV points were declared into SSR so no changes were made to EXISTING contracts - this was new construction which added to the size and point inventory of SSR by creating new units for sale.

So if they are there own units then it does not seem possible per the contract It mentions point of a unit can be shuffled but if there are no other room sizes that are part of the treehouse units. It’s worth finding out how just being part of SSR overrides that clause as I understand it

So if they are there own units then it does not seem possible per the contract It mentions point of a unit can be shuffled but if there are no other room sizes that are part of the treehouse units. It’s worth finding out how just being part of SSR overrides that clause as I understand it

think about this. The points have their source in your unit, this never changes. Unit rental is a global function. So if units are added to the resort the global points available for rent go up along with the supply of points (from DVC sales)

one must decouple owners point allocation which is fixed, And unit rental which is handled by DVC to maximize the occupancy of the units to this end we the owners have ceded pricing power on the units to DVC. DVC’s goal is to rent as many points as possible if possible to have no points go unrented. To that end they are free to set room rates

think about this. The points have their source in your unit, this never changes. Unit rental is a global function. So if units are added to the resort the global points available for rent go up along with the supply of points (from DVC sales)

one must decouple owners point allocation which is fixed, And unit rental which is handled by DVC to maximize the occupancy of the units to this end we the owners have ceded pricing power on the units to DVC. DVC’s goal is to rent as many points as possible if possible to have no points go unrented. To that end they are free to set room rates

That makes perfect sense to me! Thanks.

The lockouts were happening more and more frequently, Since 2015 its been increasingly apparent that DVC is being run for the benefit of Disney rather than the members. Proving that’s another matter entirely which will require whistleblowers.

But the lockouts are probably due to Disney manipulation of breakage. As Disney would rather have a cash guest in the room vs a DVC member because even with a discount rate the cash guest is paying several times what the DVC guest pays in member fees.

remember the agreement says Disney must give you the points, its says nothing about a guaranteed ability to USE those points. The power and magic comes from ‘subject to availability’. Just look at all those DVC’ers losing now.

And Disney’s answer is ‘Tough on you’ you are easily replaced as a customer.

Used to be breakage was at about 30 days at the time of our last stay felt like it was about 120 days.

So if you did not book at 5-7 months out you were out of luck. Being a teacher up north you never really know when the school year is going to end. I think the record up here is something like July 10.

I don't understand tis level of lockout. If you book at 11 months you shouldn't be locked out. Especially for a teacher as the summer is the easiest time to book. I'm a teacher been a member for 10 years never been locked out once.

I don't understand tis level of lockout. If you book at 11 months you shouldn't be locked out. Especially for a teacher as the summer is the easiest time to book. I'm a teacher been a member for 10 years never been locked out once.

due to the fact we have ugly winters up here and our UY ended in December we were never able to use the 11 month window, we were limited to the 7 month window. Because we could never predict whether both of us would be available for vacations 11 months out I’m in engineering professional services so my vacations have been canceled more times than i can count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter