Anyone dissappointed in star wars land

Following!

I will say while the land looks very cool, reviews I have seen seem positive, but lean toward being moderate. I am not a huge Star Wars person, but still seems cool to see.

I had no interest in Pandora, and it is now by favorite land by far.

I commented to my wife that unlike everyplace else in every other Disney park, SWL just doesn't seem happy or uplifting. Seems drab and gray but I'm hoping that when we visit it someday, we'll get a better feeling.
I’d say Indy isn’t happy or uplifting either. It’s an adventure, though. That’s what Star Wars is. It’s a culmination of all the other genre lands in one. It’s fantasy, adventure, a frontier, a space opera.
Don’t forget the headliner of the land is still missing and will help balance it out.

I think from what I’ve seen of it online that the theming is great but it seems very incomplete. I agree with a review that said without RoR it’s very much missing a lot. It seems with 1 ride that gets divisive reviews and a lot of expensive cash grabs it’s not enough. Carsland has one E ride but it’s a hit. It’s too bad they didn’t make the light saber builds more of an experience like Olivanders. I’m looking forward to hearing more and going after RoR opens.
They did make it an experience like ollivanders....

They did make it an experience like ollivanders....

No, because you have to pay $200 to get in right? Plus only one guest right? So even if we decided to do it we couldn’t attend as a family.

Olivanders is free to watch and you don’t have to buy a wand.

I'm not a mega Star Wars fan, but in watching the videos so far, the only thing that keeps sticking out to me as "not right" (aka..that I don't like. ;) ) is that the droid parts for the build your own droid aren't grimy & dirty looking enough! :D I think they stick out like a sore thumb with their bright white parts & perfectly "painted" parts. I really think it would have been great to have more muted colors...navy blue, charcoal grey, olive green, a dijon mustard color, maybe rust red, etc., and I was really hoping for them to be made to appear as though they were painted metal with portions of the paint scratched or missing here and there.

So the look of the land is perfect to me, but those droids look too darn good. ;)

As for entertainment and free activities, what I think we're not seeing in these early videos are a bunch of people spending a lot of time doing the interactive elements with their phones. Probably because they want to dot he big things within their window of time, I've only seen 2 videos so far that even mentioned that aspect of the land. And I know that's something my kids, in particular, are really looking forward to. That and the wandering characters.

It looks very great -- perfectly Star Wars'ish. The only thing that will probably disappoint moi is that it looks like it'll be really hot. I haven't heard anyone mention this, but it seems like a lot of heat-catching rock work and it looks like it could lack good air flow.

Maybe in the future we'll see some sort of misting area created someplace where a pipe or duct has been "damaged" and it now how "steam" or some sort of other liquid escaping from it. :)

The whole revolution of Star Wars was and is the fact that it’s a lived-in, used universe. The only adequately sci-fi looking place in Star Wars would maybe be Coruscant, a planet-sized city that can’t realistically be made into a theme park.
What about Cloud City on Bespin? Now that would be awesome!

We were not disappointed at all. We had 2 reservations yesterday (8 am and 5 pm), so we had a lot of time to explore. We built lightsabers at Savi's, sampled the local cuisine and shops, rode Smuggler's Run 3 times, watched Chewy repair a ship, and my daughters learned how to do Jedi mind tricks from Rey. We can't wait to go back!

That said, I see a few areas of opportunity, having been to Pandora and both US Wizarding Worlds. While Smuggler's Run is very fun, it isn't a mind-blowing marquee attraction like Flight of Passage, so I look forward to ROTR opening "sometime this year". The dining options sometimes looked better than they tasted, but I appreciate the more adventurous offerings and expect the menus will be adjusted with time. And I would like to see them use some of that space in the forest and build a free experience for younger kids, since we really miss Jedi training academy!

I have never seen a Star Wars movie in my life, I wouldn't be able to tell you a single plotline, and the only characters I recognize are Princess Leia and Darth Vader. The rest I have no idea about.

I'm the same way with the franchise. I don't know many of the characters except for Rey, Kylo Ren, of course Chewie, and Leia. But being that as it may, I'm still super excited to see the land on my next trip and just let myself get immersed in the experience.

I have to wonder what a person's age has to do with his enjoyment of SWL. I remember how the theater audience responded to the Star Wars movies when they first came out. When the AT-AT walkers first appeared on screen, the audience was blown away. We had never seen or imagined anything like that. Same with Chewie and R2D2 and CP3O and so much of the movie. George Lucas created something no one had every seen before. So maybe SWL appeals more to we who saw his creations from the beginning. I know SWL will bring back great memories of sitting in the theater and seeing the first movie and being totally mesmerized.

I think from what I’ve seen of it online that the theming is great but it seems very incomplete. I agree with a review that said without RoR it’s very much missing a lot. It seems with 1 ride that gets divisive reviews and a lot of expensive cash grabs it’s not enough. Carsland has one E ride but it’s a hit. It’s too bad they didn’t make the light saber builds more of an experience like Olivanders. I’m looking forward to hearing more and going after RoR opens.

With all due respect I don’t understand how you can say it feels incomplete without having visited. Yes it was a bit annoying when it was announced that ROTR wouldn’t open along with the land but in no way it feels incomplete. No way at all.

No, because you have to pay $200 to get in right? Plus only one guest right? So even if we decided to do it we couldn’t attend as a family.

Olivanders is free to watch and you don’t have to buy a wand.

You can’t compare this experience to Ollivanders. I had tears in my eyes when my husband and his group built their lightsabers. The CM’s were some of the best I’ve ever seen. Ollivanders was the biggest disappointment ever and I’m a huge HP fan. It’s the one thing Universal messed up with their immersive HP world.

Again, with all due respect but if you aren’t interested that enough to buy a wand or lightsaber, the experience and maybe even the land isn’t for you.

Maybe in the future we'll see some sort of misting area created someplace where a pipe or duct has been "damaged" and it now how "steam" or some sort of other liquid escaping from it. :)

There may be something like that already ;-)

I will say if you're not a Star Wars fan or you're just a casual fan just seeing pictures doesn't really show how good of a themed area they've created. There's so many small details that are lost in the photos. My friend is not a Star Wars fan at all but loves the themed areas that Imagineering creates and even she said that it doesn't look that great.

I would say if you're a casual fan or just a Disney/Imagineering fan; just seeing pictures may scare you off and I'm selfishly okay with that if I keeps crowds in SWGE down :rotfl:

With all due respect I don’t understand how you can say it feels incomplete without having visited. Yes it was a bit annoying when it was announced that ROTR wouldn’t open along with the land but in no way it feels incomplete. No way at all.

You can’t compare this experience to Ollivanders. I had tears in my eyes when my husband and his group built their lightsabers. The CM’s were some of the best I’ve ever seen. Ollivanders was the biggest disappointment ever and I’m a huge HP fan. It’s the one thing Universal messed up with their immersive HP world.

Again, with all due respect but if you aren’t interested that enough to buy a wand or lightsaber, the experience and maybe even the land isn’t for you.
There may be something like that already ;-)

Since the OP has not been there either I don’t see why I cannot post what I think from what’s available to be found online. I agree with that post. Plus I’ve read plenty of reviews from different people, rabid SW fans included, that found it to be missing something. I’m glad you didn’t think so.

I can be annoyed that even if I decided to cough up $200 bucks to buy my kid a lightsaber we could not experience the whole thing together as a family because there’s only 1 guest allowed. I do think HP was done better in that sense. When we watched at Olivanders we did not have to buy a wand. When I spent the crazy $100 on the wand my kids could share the experience. It’s annoying that there’s less to do and so much of it is a blatant cash grab to experience it.

Here’s the review I was talking about:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-galaxys-edge-is-here-the-good-the-bad-and-1835129231
They talk about the saber building as being spiritual but still mention the land feeling incomplete and the issues with the only ride.

Just from watching you tube videos I have been a little dissappointed in star wars land. Not a big fan of he grimy dirty look. Also wonderin for a casual star wars fan does this land have enough to do. If you dont want a 200 dollar light saber or a 100 dollar droid or want to drink in a overcrowded bar. The shops look interesting but not that big. I dont know havent been there but just wonderin if anyone feels like this? There are so many gushing reviews from star wars fanatics but I dont think the casual fan or non fan would find it so interesting. Plus is there a lack of entertainment? Maybe its different in person but i guess i was hopin for a more futuristic look and not a morrocon marketplace.

I'm not disappointed at all. This is EXACTLY what I would expect a trading outpost on the edge of the Empire-controlled Star Wars universe to look. It's SUPPOSED to look a little rough around the edges. It **is** futuristic, just not WDW Tomorrowland sort of futuristic. And it's not the sort of shiny Death Star kind of futuristic.

SWGE is kind of like a galactic version of an Old West town like Tombstone, if you think about it. All sorts of nefarious characters coming and going. Sure, there's some honest folks there trying to just get by and earn a living, but there's a lot of under the table deals going on, smuggling, moving goods in & out quickly in order to try and avoid the law (Stormtroopers).

From what I've seen so far in Adam the Woo and Justin Scarred's opening day videos, the place looks really incredible and the attention to detail that Disney put in this land is really amazing. It looks like it truly is an immersive experience. I mean, I love Carsland, for example, even though the Cars movies themselves for me are just sort of "eh, ok." Carsland is totally immersive. It feels like you're IN the movie.

that's what SWGE looks like to me from these videos...but it's an even better and cooler kind of immersive. The CMs are in character. I mean, Disneyland Daily had a post on Facebook a couple of days ago where they were talking about somebody asking where to get Star Wars ears. The CM asked why would you want to buy a new set of ears when you already have ones that work just fine? Apparently another park guest pointed to the Mickey ears on her head and the CM said, "Oh, those are from another planet. We don't sell those here."

I mean, HOW COOL IS THAT?!

I am admittedly a big Star Wars fan. Big time. I'm looking forward to exploring SWGE when we go to Disneyland next spring. Disney totally hit the ball out of the park on this one. They totally nailed it. Job well done. Truly, truly incredible.

I can be annoyed that even if I decided to cough up $200 bucks to buy my kid a lightsaber we could not experience the whole thing together as a family because there’s only 1 guest allowed. I do think HP was done better in that sense. When we watched at Olivanders we did not have to buy a wand. When I spent the crazy $100 on the wand my kids could share the experience. It’s annoying that there’s less to do and so much of it is a blatant cash grab to experience it.

I will say that the lightsaber building experience intentionally aimed at the Star Wars super fans who have always dreamed at creating one of the most iconic to them "weapons in the galaxy" not something for a kid's souvenier; nor would I personally shell out $200 for something that would be used as a toy, that's what the tomorrowland build your own lightsabers are for.

I'm also kind of astonished at the amount of people who are in the "guess i have to shell out $1000 so my 3 kids can each build a lightsaber" mindset. When I was 9-10 there was no way my parents were spending $200 on souvenir, if i wanted one it was coming out of money I saved from allowance/birthday/Christmas.

On the bright side, the land is still unfinished and the other ride will be ready to go by the end of this year (we hope!). So it's not like what we see now is all we're ever going to get with GE.

The only "incomplete" part of the land is the ride system itself, the place making and everything is done the ride is just not operational.

...The only "incomplete" part of the land is the ride system itself, the place making and everything is done the ride is just not operational.
Yes, I was trying to explain to the pp that what bloggers are complaining about is actually not a complaint -- it's just a factual description. There is a part of GE that is pretty empty right now because ROTR isn't operational -- so that part might feel "incomplete," but that isn't a bad thing right now. It will feel complete enough once that ride opens and the crowds move to that part of GE. And, I'm pretty sure that Imagineering left some growing room in GE, too -- what is the point in cramming every single square inch full of stuff now? Even DL is always evolving -- GE should have room for growth, too. I can imagine some pretty neat things happening there in, say, 10-20 years!

I'm not a Star Wars fan. I've seen most of the movies, although I really preferred the first ones that came out, so I'm not as familiar with later characters. However, I feel I know enough about it to appreciate the level of detail built into the land. I'm excited to see it, and get the real feel of living in that environment. I'm a huge Pandora fan...I mean I loved the movie and FOP is the most immersive and exciting ride I've ever been on. But...the land didn't super impress me. Oh it was cool, but I didn't get that immersive feeling like I did at Hogwarts. Universal did an amazing job from riding the train to get there and upon arrival, I felt like I was in the movie. I don't even like the rides, rode once but they are not for me...but the whole place is just so awesome! I just love walking around there, especially at night. The feeling it gives me is just amazing. It is my favorite thing about Universal. I'm hoping I'll feel the same about SWGE because from the reports, it should be extremely authentic. I'm not sure anyone, so far, has said they were disappointed with the land. The ride doesn't seem to get rave reviews but folks liked it, just now blown away by it. I'm excited for my first visit to SWGE and Disneyland in November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter